Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

Post by Eli »

:wallbang:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Apparnently this is more fun that discussing the defense...

I think the topic of whether they'll blitz more with Bishop is intriguing. Both Everson Griffin and Jaren Allen have shown ability as a zone coverage DL. That opens up all kinds of stuff for the defense to do to mess with an opposing offense.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

mansquatch wrote:Apparnently this is more fun that discussing the defense...

I think the topic of whether they'll blitz more with Bishop is intriguing. Both Everson Griffin and Jaren Allen have shown ability as a zone coverage DL. That opens up all kinds of stuff for the defense to do to mess with an opposing offense.
How often do DL typically fall back into coverage during a linebacker blitz? From what I've seen from Allen in coverage, it mostly looks like he's freelancing after his initial pass rush is thwarted.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Eli wrote: How often do DL typically fall back into coverage during a linebacker blitz? From what I've seen from Allen in coverage, it mostly looks like he's freelancing after his initial pass rush is thwarted.
They do not do it often, but it is an element of zone blitz type calls. The point isn't that they'd do it everydown, but that they have a guy in Bishop you can blitz well plus guys on the DL that can be surprising in that coverage roll. It adds another wrinkle for the Purple to throw at an offense.

I think the simple fact that Bishop has some Blitzing credibility on his Resume makes him an interesting addition for the vikings. I know we hardly blitz at all, but I think that is due at least in part to the fact we haven't had LB who were any good at it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I'm not sure Ponder is a bottom 3 QB
Your right, Jaworski ranked him 27th. So I was off two spots.

Back on topic, which seems to be fluffing Mr. Bishop. Wow he's amazing I can't see why this won't work out. We just sound a million dollar baby at the 5 and 10 cent store. 7 more wins last year that are directly tied to Ponder, now with Bishop and all the potential of our three steals of the draft. I am so excited. I can only assume Bishop will light the league on fire.
I think the simple fact that Bishop has some Blitzing credibility on his Resume makes him an interesting addition for the vikings.
It will definitely help. I remember a number of blitzes from the middle where EJ, and Brinkley have an inability to get off their block and apply any pressure. Regardless of whether it's a linemen, fullback, or the halfback that blocks them. If gimpy the steal of free agency can bring even a little bit of pressure when asked to it'll be more than the other two managed combined.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Eli wrote:Oh, look. Yet another thread that has turned into an off-topic argument over Ponder.

No wonder some of you people have tens of thousands of posts. And NO, I can't just "not read" it. Not when this crap infects every damned thread in these forums. Why is it necessary to come to Ponder's defense each and every time someone says anything about him? There can't be more than 40 or 50 regulars in the forum. Do you honestly think that there's even one of them that hasn't read these same arguments, word for word, dozens of times?
Because Ponder is the man!!!!!! :rock: Which means if this LB core fails this season and were a key reason to why the Vikings couldn't win some games, people won't blame them. They're going to blame Ponder. But seriously, who doesn't wanna talk about Ponder? Obviously everytime someone mentions Ponder in a thread, the whole thread becomes filled with post about him.
VikingHoard
Backup

Post by VikingHoard »

Hurray, we're finally getting a proven MLB back to Minnesota again. I expect Bishop's impact to be immediate, and I think he'll start by showing what is and isn't considered off-topic in this forum. I imagine he'll create a solid defense against veering off-topic by saying something like...

"Hey, you complain about people defending Ponder in every thread for going off-topic? What about the people who bashed him there in the first place?"

and...

"If questioning Ponder's abilities isn't the topic of the thread, then bringing them up is off-topic. Either way."

Furthermore, he'll probably add...

"Look, I know having Ponder as your QB is like betting on an armless man to win a boxing match; but I don't need to be reminded of that all the time. Sometimes I'd like to see a thread with my name in the title and not think about Ponder, you dig?"

and of course he'll say...

"I'm gonna order the Meat Lovers from Pizza Hut. You just can't get pizza like that at Dominoes!"

Finally, Adrian Peterson is going to add...

"You got an orange peanut? An orange peanut?"

...and then all the off-topic-meanderings of threads in here will be totally demolished. Go Desmond and go Vikes!
This signature predicted the great 2014 - 2025 Vikings dynasty!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

This should really help us

Bishop had several 100 Tackle seasons and some picks ... With Green way That's not a bad group
I am not sold on Henderson all that much.. Maybe he will take it too the next level ?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote: Your the trouble maker JEC334, I went back and read the entire post and you were the 1st one to say anything about that QB :rofl: That's OK! I'm just messing with you, :nono: :smilevike:

Actually I do take some blame. It all started with one fan saying that many posters on here are negative and that they always give the coaches slack for their decision. So I started explaining positions I thought were question marks, then someone called Ponder a bottom 3 QB then BOOM, the Ponder discussion commenced! lol I didnt try to make this a Ponder thread but I see the mention of his name makes a lot of fans feel some type of way. :lol:
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

JEC334 wrote: Because Ponder is the man!!!!!! :rock: Which means if this LB core fails this season and were a key reason to why the Vikings couldn't win some games, people won't blame them. They're going to blame Ponder. But seriously, who doesn't wanna talk about Ponder? Obviously everytime someone mentions Ponder in a thread, the whole thread becomes filled with post about him.
I checked out this threat to talk about Bishop, not Ponder. But if anyone wants to hijack the threat to talk about Ponder, I'd suggest that you talk about Mrs. Ponder instead. That would be far more interesting, right?

As for the Bishop situation, I just hope the guy can stay healthy, because if he can, he definitely an upgrade. I still don't know if we have two quality outside linebackers on this team, but a healthy Greenway and a healthy Bishop would make our linebacking corp decent at worst. And who knows? Maybe Henderson could up his game and one of those PSU rookies can pan out. If so, this unit, strangely enough, could turn into a strength -- anchored by one of the more underrated linebackers in football.

Anyway, enough with linebackers. Let's talk about (Mrs.) Ponder.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I think the mere presence of Christian Ponder will not only inspire Desmond Bishop play like a Pro Bowler, but also heal whatever is ailing him.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: They should've signed Bishop to play QB.
...and moved Ponder to LB !
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

jeg067 wrote: ...and moved Ponder to LB !
And move Matt Cassel to LB to back-up Ponder.
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

JEC334 wrote: And move Matt Cassel to LB to back-up Ponder.
So, we'll need a backup QB.
What about this WR guy, Joe Webb ?
Can he play QB ?
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Audio interview from Bishop 100% healed :thumbsup:
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/audi ... 2f7eef04bc
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.