Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

Post by headless_norseman »

S197 wrote: Greenway tore his ACL in both knees. I agree that expectations from a 7th round pick should be tempered, however, there is a lot of precedence of players coming back from these injuries.
As a Hawkeye fan, I know Chad had a knee injury as a redshirt Fresham (2002) that required surgery, and he only missed 4 games. We all know about his torn ACL in 2006, but I don't think had had two ACL injuries.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

headless_norseman wrote: As a Hawkeye fan, I know Chad had a knee injury as a redshirt Fresham (2002) that required surgery, and he only missed 4 games. We all know about his torn ACL in 2006, but I don't think had had two ACL injuries.
Those were both torn ACL's. He tore the right in 2002 and the left in 2006.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I feel like a lot of people here do not like anything the vikings do but for some reason they are still calling themselves fans
Lucky for us being brainless zombies isn't required to be a fan of a team. Nor is the approval of poster mrc44 on VMB. There are also plenty of things they do that plenty of us like. Now, how many of their moves have worked out? 100%? You'd think so with how often certain cheerleaders claim every move they make is good and is going to work out...

Glad I can't read your posts. too bad I can still see them quoted. Of course you're still calling out other posters and playing your gimpy little "bad fan" game nonsense.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

TheCoolerOne wrote:
Okay just did a quick search because I didn't know exactly where, but knew I had seen it a ton of times. I apologize if I am misquoting anyone.
I have no passionate opinion either way, but I laughed at your supporting evidence. Good work! Boom! :thumbsup:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Demi wrote: Lucky for us being brainless zombies isn't required to be a fan of a team. Nor is the approval of poster mrc44 on VMB. There are also plenty of things they do that plenty of us like. Now, how many of their moves have worked out? 100%? You'd think so with how often certain cheerleaders claim every move they make is good and is going to work out...

Glad I can't read your posts. too bad I can still see them quoted. Of course you're still calling out other posters and playing your gimpy little "bad fan" game nonsense.
You don't like Vikings cheerleaders? :wink:

I'm undecided about this Bishop signing. I'm just "eh" about it. I guess we'll see how it plays out. Most seem to be excited about it. I hope they're right.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

mrc44 wrote:I feel like a lot of people here do not like anything the vikings do but for some reason they are still calling themselves fans... Why are you guys following a team if you hate everything they do and you think they are going nowhere???

Find a new team, the Seahawks should be an easy transition for ya'll
Is this better for you???

Hooray Hooray!!!!! This is the best offseason our team had in the 52 years they have been here. No team will beat us. We have Greg Jennings, the top WR from the draft coming off a nagging injury from last season. We also have the feisty Erin Henderson, future pro bowler and HoF, moving him to MLB was the smartest decision Frazier made! He wasn't that good as a Will LB but only because Frazier knew that Henderson would just automatically be better if he move to the Mike.

Here's the best part. We have Matt Cassel, or should I say Tom Brady 2.0. I wouldn't be surprised if Ponder was benched Week 5. Cassel will have a good career because we have superstar athlete Joe Webb. He's gonna be the next Randy Moss!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

TheCoolerOne wrote:
Okay just did a quick search because I didn't know exactly where, but knew I had seen it a ton of times. I apologize if I am misquoting anyone.

If that means that so many are "attached" I am not understanding your definition or complaint :?
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

JEC334 wrote: Is this better for you???

Hooray Hooray!!!!! This is the best offseason our team had in the 52 years they have been here. No team will beat us. We have Greg Jennings, the top WR from the draft coming off a nagging injury from last season. We also have the feisty Erin Henderson, future pro bowler and HoF, moving him to MLB was the smartest decision Frazier made! He wasn't that good as a Will LB but only because Frazier knew that Henderson would just automatically be better if he move to the Mike.

Here's the best part. We have Matt Cassel, or should I say Tom Brady 2.0. I wouldn't be surprised if Ponder was benched Week 5. Cassel will have a good career because we have superstar athlete Joe Webb. He's gonna be the next Randy Moss!
I am not sure that he was referring to you but more or less questioning those few fans that are constantly complaining about virtually all aspects of the Vikings and their organization and not understanding why that is. I have read several of your posts that seem relatively positive.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Purple bruise wrote: I am not sure that he was referring to you but more or less questioning those few fans that are constantly complaining about virtually all aspects of the Vikings and their organization and not understanding why that is. I have read several of your posts that seem relatively positive.

I am a pretty positive fan. Though, it's a few things that I don't necessarily agree with, but I usually have something good to say. I think it's due to such an amazing off-season the Vikings have had so far. I mean we had good draft, and we were able to acquire Greg Jennings. I think we have a good back up in Matt Cassel. Now that we have Desmond Bishop, it's not too many things to complain now.

I can see why people have their doubts though. Both Jennings and Bishop are coming off injuries. Jennings hasn't be able to complete a full season in past couple of seasons. The linebacker position is definitely questionable. Many people, including myself don't believe in Henderson. Most people don't believe Bishop because of his injury, which is understandable because the Packers really didn't believe he can stay healthy.

I just dislike when fans call other fans "Bad Fans," just because they don't applaud the team's every move. From what I seen so far, everybody I've met on this board are long time Vikings fans. A lot of them live in Minnesota or near the Minnesota area so I can't see them rooting for a different team. I just don't think you have to be 100% optimistic to be a fan of a team.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Desmond Bishop - LB - Vikings

Desmond Bishop's one-year deal with the Vikings is worth $750,000, and includes just $50,000 guaranteed.

Bishop can earn a total of $1.35 million through bonuses and incentives. His deal includes $100,000 in roster bonuses, and $500,000 in "playtime incentives." It's not a surprise after Bishop missed all of 2012 with a ruptured hamstring.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter Jun 28 - 10:42 AM
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If Bishop is healthy he should be a really decent pick up and a much better answer than Erin Henderson
at MLB ..

Makes me wonder about some of the others Audie Cole and how they are progressing in the defense?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

If he plays, at all this year in a starting role, this was a great deal.
Wow, great place to set the ball. Just throw it on the ground and voila, successful signing.
just don't understand how a move where $50k is guaranteed to a player that is most likely going to start at one point or another, is considered a bad move...
You get what you pay for. A 28 year old with a limited skill set coming off a major injury. Who's going to end up starting by default. And put a few young guys back on special teams with zero chance to learn the position or earn a job. He's not coming in as a backup. He's not competing with anyone. So successful signing. Chalk up another one!
But I promise you there are a few people on here that more than half of their posts are completely negative and barely ever(until recently) post anything positive about the team or anyone here on the boards.
Look at this team in the last decade. What is there to be positive about? Win, Lose, Win Lose. Mike Tice, Brad Childress. Current coach is still under .500. During those 13 years they've won two playoff games. Wow they must have made a TON of great moves huh? I can see why other posters should be so positive about every move they make.
And Henderson had decent stats in Nickel from what I have read and heard since the move was even considered.
And from what I've heard (the color guy, who used to play for the team) he lost the job to Brinkley. Who was terrible at the job. Who's stats are being used to defend the Bishop hiring based on Bishop's stats before his injury. But you probably had the bar laying on the ground then too.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

mrc44 wrote:
I was not referring to you, and honestly was not referring to anyone in particular, just don't understand how a move where $50k is guaranteed to a player that is most likely going to start at one point or another, is considered a bad move...

As far as Greg Jennings, I didn't like that move at first and was actually one of the fans bashing the decision until other Fans on here opened my eyes to the leadership and teaching abilities of Jennings. So I am not saying go fin a new team if you complain once in a while, no one is ever going to agree with every move a team makes. But I promise you there are a few people on here that more than half of their posts are completely negative and barely ever(until recently) post anything positive about the team or anyone here on the boards.

And Henderson had decent stats in Nickel from what I have read and heard since the move was even considered.

I think the LB, WR, and the QB position are the key positions that have fans on edge. The whole LB position is a mess. Not only do we not know who our MLB will be but with the edition of Bishop, now we don't know who the Will LB will be also. When you think about Bishop and Henderson. You have a guy who coming off a terrible injury vs a guy who is an unproven Mike LB. And both of these guys are supposedly might start for us, I see why fans have doubt.

At the WR position, you have a guy in Patterson, who's known for not being familiar with the playbook and Jennings, the injury prone WR who's hasn't been able to finish a full season in about 2 years. Both guys have talent but Pattersons success will be how well he can gel with the offense. Jennings will have to prove he can stay healthy.

Then you have the QB situation... People talk about how bad Ponder is but if you look at Cassel's gametape from KC, he's not any better. So if Ponder stinks it up this year, I don't think Cassel will do much better. He may have a better arm, but he throws a lot of INTs.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

JEC334 wrote:The whole LB position is a mess.
There is a hole at MLB, but I wouldn't consider the position a "mess." You have 2x pro-bowler Chad Greenway there (even if you don't see him that way at the very least you have to admit he's an above-average linebacker) and Erin Henderson (average starter) for sure playing some role. At worst, we're likely on par with last season. I see whoever emerges as the starters at the other two positions being an improvement over last season. Ideal? No. But serviceable. Someone could surprise out of that bunch. OR we address the position next draft with a high round pick.
At the WR position, you have a guy in Patterson, who's known for not being familiar with the playbook and Jennings, the injury prone WR who's hasn't been able to finish a full season in about 2 years.
It's amazing how one injury suddenly changes fan perception. Prior to 2012 Greg Jennings missed a combined eight games. So he had played/started in 88 of a possible 96 regular season games (more if you count the playoffs). Players get hurt and if you're not Cyborg Adrian Peterson, groin injuries (especially for a receiver) are tough. Given his previous history I'm willing to give him a pass on 2012. He proved before that that he can stay on the field (unlike, say, Sidney Rice).
Both guys have talent but Pattersons success will be how well he can gel with the offense.
And QB play. And pass protection. And route running. And if he can continue to improve. There are a lot of pieces that have to click before Patterson (and the pass offense in general) can be successful.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

There is a hole at MLB, but I wouldn't consider the position a "mess." You have 2x pro-bowler Chad Greenway there
And that's all you have. Erin Henderson? Desmond Bishop? Come on now. We have one competent linebacker, one average at best, and a bunch of giant question marks.
Prior to 2012 Greg Jennings missed a combined eight games.
His numbers have declined each of the last two seasons. There wasn't much (any?) interest other than the Vikings, and Packers (who wouldn't match the offer) and a late low ball by the Patriots. Our receivers are definitely improved from what they have been but we're going to have to wait to have any idea how much. And if downgrading from a top 3 Qb to a bottom 3 is going to affect Jennings even more.