State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandallioCobb18
Starter

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by RandallioCobb18 »

Boon wrote: ahahaha, 2009 NFCCG ahahahahahahaha, are you serious? MY STOMACH, MY GOD IT HURTS LOLOOL
You got me their, cant defend much about a bounty scandal. Though I honestly believe it would have simply delayed the inevitable Favre dumbass game losing interception until Super Bowl Sunday.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

So, If I may sum up; The state of the NFC north is the Packers and the Vikings trying to prove who has been screwed most, while the Lions try to right their 15 year sinking ship, and the Bears sit in the corner and eat paste?
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Vike Fan 4 Life wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ight-game/

well here's an instance where the NFL did apologize, but I'm sure no one has brought this one up yet because it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the examples listed. Just because the NFL admits a mistake doesn't make it any worse than game altering blown calls that weren't acknowledged.
I actually have this game (along with the other 3 Rodgers vs Favre games) and I knew that Vikings fans were going to raise hell about that Shianco TD call, and rightly so but I can think of plenty of terrible calls our 2009 matchups that impacted the course of the game dramatically as well. (But those dont count right? :D)

Can't feel bad for Childress not throwing the flag, that's his problem, retard.

I prominently just remembering my sinking to my stomach, and then feeling the sweet relief of seeing upon replay that he did NOT get his feet down.
Vike Fan 4 Life
Starter

Post by Vike Fan 4 Life »

plenty of game altering calls like what? You can't just say plenty of calls and say that's a valid response.
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: The difference between our points is the call I have a problem with was an indisputable screw over, in which the league has actually admitted too.

Your point, is a bunch of bullcrap with no evidence to back it up whatsoever, I could complain about a ton of calls over the years too, but I don't, because I realize that it is entirely a subjective matter and to suggest otherwise would be baseless and serve no purpose.
Were you watching that game? I was. The fudgies were playing poorly and only were in a position to win that game thanks to some bad officiating on the other side! There are missed calls in almost every game but I am getting sick of seeing JA bent backwards chasing Rogers with no flags being thrown which is blatant favoritism (hence my comment). Not just one missed call by a replacement ref, go cry into your cheese soaked pillow.

Here ya go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0k24XXf-0 . Seriously barely a game goes by I don't have something to say about some crap call.
Last edited by Skoltastic_Voyage on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Kevin Green (official from the 2010 game at Lambeau) is a life long Packer homer and he'll always give GB games. The Shaincoe TD being overturned was the moment I knew Green Bay was going to win it all. Completely jobbed.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote: Were you watching that game? I was. The fudgies were playing poorly and only were in a position to win that game thanks to some bad officiating on the other side! There are missed calls in almost every game but I am getting sick of seeing JA bent backwards chasing Rogers with no flags being thrown which is blatant favoritism (hence my comment). Not just one missed call by a replacement ref, go cry into your cheese soaked pillow.

Here ya go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0k24XXf-0 . Seriously barely a game goes by I don't have something to say about some crap call.
We all know the packers are favoured by the refs. Second he's a packer fan posting on a Viking board so of course his points are bull crap, he probably got trolled off his packers forums for that exact reason and resorts to being the "keyboard warrior" for green bay on a Viking fan forum.. :smilevike:
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I see the division really up for grabs. I don't know that the pack got better and I really don't think we got any worse. I couple of better games out of Ponder and we easily challenge the pack for the division.

I think the bears will be better this year as well and the lions, well I still don't understand why they are so bad. If anything I see the following

The pack taking a step back
We take a step forward
The bears take two steps forward
The lions take a step forward

On paper it should be a three team race for the division. Of course we all know what "on paper" is worth.

"I'll buy THAT for a dollar!"
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Boon wrote: Don't get us started on him lol
Or that game.....

But with all the turnovers I started to feel the Vikings didn't deserve to win.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: The difference between our points is the call I have a problem with was an indisputable screw over, in which the league has actually admitted too.

Your point, is a bunch of bullcrap with no evidence to back it up whatsoever, I could complain about a ton of calls over the years too, but I don't, because I realize that it is entirely a subjective matter and to suggest otherwise would be baseless and serve no purpose.

Umm no, the "Hail Mary" was quite clearly a push off, everybody and their grandmothers can see that. This was arguably the best Vikings team in their history, and they were robbed on one play. The argument that the league didn't come out and apologize for it is moot, considering it happened in 1975.

I could sit here and argue with you about the "Fail Mary" play as well. I think it was called incorrectly, but at the time of the play I didn't think it was cut and dry and that's what it comes down to. To act like it was the biggest screw job in the history of the league is to have your Puke Green shades on, and certainly not anymore (if even close) to the impact of the Hail Mary pass in 75. Your team was screwed out a regular season football game, we were screwed out of a playoff game. Hell I don't even think the Fail Mary was the biggest screw job in Packers history, considering the facemask pull in the Wildcard game vs. the Cardinals in 09.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

So back to the OP's topic...

Vikings are hard to predict right now. I think it is fair to expect continued rushing dominance. The OL stayed intact and AP is AP. Bigger questions are in the passing game, specifically how much does Ponder improve overall? Also both Simpson and Carlson are in make or break seasons. I think Simpson will be better, but Carlson has to realize this is it if he doesn't perform. (I wonder if he'll be a cap casualty regardless given the need to resign the DL next year) It will be interesting to see how the WR/TE pieces come together in addition to Ponder taking another step. If Vikes can get Dec 2012 Ponder for a whole season then on offense we will be very difficult to defend.

Defense is very uncertain as well. Who is the MLB going to be? Who is our 3rd CB? I think we are virtually guarranteed to have rookies making a significant contribution either at MLB or CB, IMO most likely MLB. That makes the D hard to predict. Still, lots of strong pieces coming into the fray and I think it is fair to say that anyone starting at MLB should be an improvement over Brinkley. (Should be...) CB is more scary as we play teams who like to spread us out and the depth charter here is a big concern. Big season for Josh Robinson.

The draft is really interesting this year in that some of those guys are going to be asked to show up immediately. If they can have an impact it will be huge.

Bear: I think the Bears are going to compete for the cellar of the division. Losing Lovie and Urlacher is going to be a big deal for their defense. They've added some upgrades on OL, but they unit takes time to come together and you have to expect that Cutler is not really that great of a teammate. FOr that matter, how will Cutler get along with his new coaching staff? Last time that happened he was in Denver and cried his way into a trade.

Lions: I think they'll be better in 2013, but I wonder what kind of toll their cap situation will ultimately take on their defense? Their draft is going to be critical. Reggie Bush could see a career resurgence though and that might be interesting with their offense.

Packers: I think they are the favorites to win the division. I wonder what the loss of Jennings is going to do to them though? I know their fans will say they've got plenty of depth, and on paper they do, but has all of that depth played a full 16 games? I wonder if Cobb can stand up to that punishment? Jones/Nelson/Cobb are all great, so if Finley, but it used to be those guys plus Jennings. Who is the #4? Part of their productivity was having so many playmakers at WR that they could spread a defense out and pick on the #3 or #4 guy on the CB depth chart. Losing Jennings will impact that IMO, but it might be a minor issue. Defense is the bigger question for them though, they lost Woodson, so the draft will be a big deal here.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

mansquatch wrote: Packers: I think they are the favorites to win the division. I wonder what the loss of Jennings is going to do to them though? I know their fans will say they've got plenty of depth, and on paper they do, but has all of that depth played a full 16 games? I wonder if Cobb can stand up to that punishment? Jones/Nelson/Cobb are all great, so if Finley, but it used to be those guys plus Jennings. Who is the #4? Part of their productivity was having so many playmakers at WR that they could spread a defense out and pick on the #3 or #4 guy on the CB depth chart. Losing Jennings will impact that IMO, but it might be a minor issue. Defense is the bigger question for them though, they lost Woodson, so the draft will be a big deal here.
Jennings was out the majority of last season and the Pack receiving corps seemed to do fine. It definitely doesn't help them to lose Jennings, but I expect their passing game will be great as always. That said, the real impact of the Pack losing Jennings is how much it will help us!
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Delaqure wrote:I see the division really up for grabs. I don't know that the pack got better and I really don't think we got any worse. I couple of better games out of Ponder and we easily challenge the pack for the division.

I think the bears will be better this year as well and the lions, well I still don't understand why they are so bad. If anything I see the following

The pack taking a step back
We take a step forward
The bears take two steps forward
The lions take a step forward

On paper it should be a three team race for the division. Of course we all know what "on paper" is worth.

"I'll buy THAT for a dollar!"
LOL, im curious as to how the Bears got better, they are old as hell and coming in with a new regime, not to mention there terrible cap management of the previous regime.

The Packers get better through the draft, all of there improvement hinges on how much last years picks develop. (They brought us from 32 ranked D too 11th, so hopefully they just keep improving.) But I see absolutely nothing that made them worse, Jennings is more of an addition to your team than anything, the Pack probably isnt going to miss him much, and if so I expect them to go back to the well and grab a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. We also are getting a lot of key guys back from injury, namely Desmond Bishop, him and Matthews seem to be the only real physical presences on our defense at this point in time.

But I hope your not insinuating that its going to be a 3 team race with the Packers being the odd man out, because I can promise you there isnt any way in hell the Bears or Lions finish higher in the division than the Pack, its Packers vs Vikes for the division and you can count on that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Bear: I think the Bears are going to compete for the cellar of the division. Losing Lovie and Urlacher is going to be a big deal for their defense. They've added some upgrades on OL, but they unit takes time to come together and you have to expect that Cutler is not really that great of a teammate.
Why do we have to expect that?

Most of his teammates seem to like Cutler just fine. Cutler will probably like the new coaching staff as well since Trestman is an offensive-minded coach known for working effectively with quarterbacks. The Bears hired Mel Tucker to coach their defense, a coordinator who already knows the system and who had a history of success fielding strong defenses in Jacksonville so their defense may not take a significant step back at all. The Vikes wanted to hire Tucker last year but he chose to stay with the Jaguars.

The Bears are in more or less the same position as the Vikes and I'd say they both have about the same chance of competing for the division title or ending up in the NFC North cellar. They finished with identical records last year, they're both in transition on defense (with some aging key players and some talented youth) and they both have some offensive issues to resolve.

If Cutler and Trestman don't get along, that could definitely be a wrench in the works but Cutler's not the player the national media and the"haters" makes him out to be. He comes across in the local media as a friendly guy with a good sense of humor so I wouldn't be surprised if his teammates see him in a similar light. He's certainly shown he will lay it on the line for them with a sincere effort and he's in a contract year so that alone should serve as plenty of motivation for him to put his best foot forward.

It will be interesting to see what kind of impact losing Urlacher has on their defense. His intelligence and experience will undoubtedly be missed but i doubt that means a big step back for the defense as a whole.

You might be right because a team can take time to adjust to a coaching change but I suspect the Bears will be in the mix for the division and finish at least around .500 this year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:LOL, im curious as to how the Bears got better, they are old as hell and coming in with a new regime, not to mention there terrible cap management of the previous regime.
They added a good TE (Bennett), an upgrade at LT (Bushrod) and a potential upgrade at guard (Slauson). They changed their coaching staff (which could make them better, worse or neither but is an X factor) and actually got younger at MLB with D. J. Williams, although it remains to be seen how effective he'll be as their full-time starter. I don't know if they got better but I'm not really seeing how they necessarily got worse either and they were a 10 win team last year.
The Packers get better through the draft, all of there improvement hinges on how much last years picks develop. (They brought us from 32 ranked D too 11th, so hopefully they just keep improving.) But I see absolutely nothing that made them worse, Jennings is more of an addition to your team than anything, the Pack probably isnt going to miss him much, and if so I expect them to go back to the well and grab a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. We also are getting a lot of key guys back from injury, namely Desmond Bishop, him and Matthews seem to be the only real physical presences on our defense at this point in time.

But I hope your not insinuating that its going to be a 3 team race with the Packers being the odd man out, because I can promise you there isnt any way in hell the Bears or Lions finish higher in the division than the Pack, its Packers vs Vikes for the division and you can count on that.
LOL! I'd love to see that confidence undermined and watch the Packers struggle to a 6-10 finish. Admittedly, that's pretty unlikely but it would sure be satisfying, especially if the Vikings ended up winning the division. :)