State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by Demi »

Negatives: Two-down LB. Does not cover well, lacks speed. Biggest concern is having offenses isolate him in coverage.
Frazier loves these guys as his middle linebackers. :lol:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Demi wrote: Frazier loves these guys as his middle linebackers. :lol:
I could have gone without reading that little part, too. Yeesh. All of that before his injury? I hope he steps up, because to me it looks like we could have just stuck with who we had and saved the money. Doesn't sound like they are that much worse. Low-risk signing, so I'm not too worried about it...but still. Wish he brought a little more to the table.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Despite what people post as "strengths and negatives" which seem like they're mostly pulled off old draft profiles, Bishop was a pretty decent middle linebacker when healthy for the Packers. He posted (edit: 90 solo tackles) in 13 games in 2011. He tied AJ Hawk for tackles in 2011. You don't get 115 combined tackles in 13 games if you're bad in coverage, and if the guy couldn't cover, he would have been torn up in the playoffs because you can bet that any opposing OC with a decent offense would jump all over that.

Bishop's became a better pass rusher than a coverage guy, but in 2010 he did have 8 passes deflected and an interception. When you're in a 3-4, someone in the middle is going to drop back and someone is going to put pressure on. Your stats will be adjusted accordingly.

I think the only question about the guy is whether or not his numbers were inflated a little playing in a 3-4 and if he can translate it to a 4-3. Otherwise, I've got less question marks about Bishop than I have about Henderson (whom I wouldn't have really noticed if he were replaced this offseason). Erin isn't as good a linebacker as his brother was. I think he's a better than average NFL weakside linebacker with an excellent attitude and good athleticism, but there's no way I can ever put Erin in the "elite" category, or even in Chad Greenway's class. It's not even a matter of experience, the difference in experience is a year (and would be the same if you consider that Bishop sat out a year injured). It's just that when you stack their stats side by side, there's no question that Bishop developed faster and has put up better numbers than Henderson. That said, he's no Greenway, but he's a modest upgrade over Henderson (and a big upgrade over Brinkley).
Last edited by Rus on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Rus
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Rus wrote:Despite what people post as "strengths and negatives" which seem like they're mostly pulled off old draft profiles, Bishop was a pretty decent middle linebacker when healthy for the Packers. He posted 95 tackles in 13 games in 2011. He tied AJ Hawk for tackles in 2011. You don't get 115 combined tackles in 13 games if you're bad in coverage, and if the guy couldn't cover, he would have been torn up in the playoffs because you can bet that any opposing OC with a decent offense would jump all over that.

Bishop's became a better pass rusher than a coverage guy, but in 2010 he did have 8 passes deflected and an interception. When you're in a 3-4, someone in the middle is going to drop back and someone is going to put pressure on. Your stats will be adjusted accordingly.

I think the only question about the guy is whether or not his numbers were inflated a little playing in a 3-4 and if he can translate it to a 4-3. Otherwise, I've got less question marks about Bishop than I have about Henderson (whom I wouldn't have really noticed if he were replaced this offseason). Erin isn't as good a linebacker as his brother was. I think he's a better than average NFL weakside linebacker with an excellent attitude and good athleticism, but there's no way I can ever put Erin in the "elite" category, or even in Chad Greenway's class. It's not even a matter of experience, the difference in experience is a year (and would be the same if you consider that Bishop sat out a year injured). It's just that when you stack their stats side by side, there's no question that Bishop developed faster and has put up better numbers than Henderson. That said, he's no Greenway, but he's a modest upgrade over Henderson (and a big upgrade over Brinkley).

I agree and think, based on what he's done, he solidifies the unit and is an upgrade....I just don't believe he'll be the same after having his hamstring completely torn off his femur. He will not be as fast, IMO, even if he has no other lingering issues. I would like to be wrong about it but the odds are 50/50 that he's even able to continue his career.
Most NFL players who undergo acute surgical repair of complete proximal hamstring ruptures are able to RTP, but results are mixed regarding long-term participation. This finding may indicate that this injury is a marker for elite-level physical deterioration.
http://www.amjorthopedics.com/Article.a ... jiyx0IbVU=