State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: You can't be serious. There's no way Henderson is capable of "spooking" Spielman and the coaching staff into passing up a player if they wanted to sign him. That's absurd.

Maybe Bishop's workout didn't impress them. Maybe they aren't convinced regarding his health or perhaps HE decided he wants to explore his options before making a decision. Just because he left town, it doesn't mean he won't end up a Viking. Whatever the reason, I doubt it's because Erin Henderson spooked the coaching staff.

Yes, I was joking around (that is why I put LMAO). I am serious about letting him walk though. I think he is a great player.

Purple bruise wrote: Wow I am never totally amazed by some of the absurd crap that some "fans" come up with but that statement about Henderson "spooking" The Vikings away from signing Bishop is unbelievable :roll: :rofl:
Hey man if you are going to call me out and question my fan hood grow a damn pair and put my name to it.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Yes, I was joking around (that is why I put LMAO).
I thought you might be but I wasn't sure. :)
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: I thought you might be but I wasn't sure. :)
It is some times hard to keep all of the negativity, sarcasm, and "humor" seperated. :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Desmond Bishop - LB - Free Agent

Free agent ILB Desmond Bishop is expected to decide on a team following Thursday's visit with the Chiefs.

Bishop reportedly had a "good" meeting with the Vikings, but still left town without a deal. Now he'll see about a possible starting job in Kansas City next to Derrick Williams. The Jaguars are also rumored to have interest, but no visit has been scheduled at this time.
Source: USA Today
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

dead_poet wrote:Desmond Bishop - LB - Free Agent

Free agent ILB Desmond Bishop is expected to decide on a team following Thursday's visit with the Chiefs.

Bishop reportedly had a "good" meeting with the Vikings, but still left town without a deal. Now he'll see about a possible starting job in Kansas City next to Derrick Williams. The Jaguars are also rumored to have interest, but no visit has been scheduled at this time.
Source: USA Today
Well, I hope he chooses KC. Just don't have a good feeling about his long term health.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Maybe it was Bishop himself that spooked the coaching staff during his wworkout.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

headless_norseman wrote:Maybe it was Bishop himself that spooked the coaching staff during his wworkout.

That could be true. If the Vikings absolutely felt they wanted him, they probably would have signed him. Or maybe they want to see what other teams offer before making one of their own.

Does anyone know if Bishop can presently be a 3-down MLB?
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Maybe Bishop isn't even fit for our defensive scheme. 3-4 D is a lot different from 4-3.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Desmond Bishop - LB - Vikings

Vikings agreed to terms with MLB Desmond Bishop on a one-year contract.

Assuming Bishop's hamstring holds up -- a rupture of the muscle cost him the entire 2012 season -- the moves stabilizes and completes a suddenly impressive Vikings linebacker corps. Rather than trot out journeyman special teamer Marvin Mitchell on the weak side, Minnesota will move Erin Henderson back to Will with Bishop playing Mike and Chad Greenway Sam. The Vikings' front seven will continue to be stout after ranking 11th versus the run in 2012. Bishop and Greenway will be the every-down linebackers.

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter
Desmond Bishop's one-year deal will be worth around $1.5M. Incentives could push it up around $2M. About what Erin made last year. #Vikings
I'm told Desmond Bishop will compete at both middle and weak side linebacker. Should be interesting.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Will be confused if Desmond Bishop plays OLB and Erin Henderson MLB. Isn't that 2 guys out of position? #Vikings
Kevin Seifert on Twitter
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

It feels strange....like the stars are lining up.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Desmond Bishop - LB - Vikings

Vikings agreed to terms with MLB Desmond Bishop on a one-year contract.

Assuming Bishop's hamstring holds up -- a rupture of the muscle cost him the entire 2012 season -- the moves stabilizes and completes a suddenly impressive Vikings linebacker corps. Rather than trot out journeyman special teamer Marvin Mitchell on the weak side, Minnesota will move Erin Henderson back to Will with Bishop playing Mike and Chad Greenway Sam. The Vikings' front seven will continue to be stout after ranking 11th versus the run in 2012. Bishop and Greenway will be the every-down linebackers.
Okay, so that means Bishop will be a 3-down MLB. I was wondering about that because of his injury.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I hope Frazier does the right thing and put Bishop at Mike and Henderson at Will. No matter how bad Erin Henderson wants to keep his spot, he is not a proven MLB. He should be lucky to even still be on the team.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hmm...
Spoke to 2 NFL decision makers on Desmond Bishop. Here's an inside look his attributes (positives, negatives):

Positives: Worked way up roster after being drafted late (6th round/2007). Smart, instinctive. Willing to be physical. Strong leadership. One of the sources mentioned that he liked that Bishop comes from a winning culture with the Packers. Likes that he was there when the team made the steady climb up the ladder in the NFC since his rookie season.

Negatives: Two-down LB. Does not cover well, lacks speed. Biggest concern is having offenses isolate him in coverage. Need to keep him going forward. Turns 29 next month. Concerned with number of lower body injuries (hamstring issues going back to 2010, calf). Missed all of last season. Missed 3 games in 2011. 43 minutes ago
http://sulia.com/channel/football/f/3d4 ... ce=twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

#Vikings were $7.132M under their adjusted cap prior to the Bishop signing. Had about $4M in space to play with because 3 picks are unsigned