Winfield released

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Winfield released

Post by dead_poet »

BREAKING: #Vikings just released Antoine Winfield.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter

--

R-R-R-Revis...?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Winfield released

Post by dead_poet »

Man, I'm frankly shocked. Winfield is one of my all-time favorite Vikings.

WHAT'S GOING ON WITH OUR TEAM!??!!?

Somebody needs to sit on me.

...In Rick We Trust?
Last edited by dead_poet on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

OH ####! I was not expecting that!

Revis time?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Love the guy but he was overpaid for being a nickel corner. Maybe he restructures and comes back? If not, he'll be missed, one of the best technical tacklers out there (not a guy looking to hurt someone) and a hell of a competitor.
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

i like this. clearly we are going to make some moves. saves money and we will get someone younger
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I wonder if he will take his talents to the west coast? Maybe join some other Vikings in Seattle?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Man ... that hurts. I hope we can get him back at a reduced rate. Coming off one of his best seasons ever he's still obviously got something left in the tank.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

WOW...

Do you think he could re-sign for less pay? That's a SHOCKER!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Antoine Winfield release is another indication that Rick Spielman's plan has nothing to do with quick fixes. This is a process.
Winfield move doesn't have to relate to clearing space for anything else. $7.25M cap number high for 36-year-old part-time player.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote:Love the guy but he was overpaid for being a nickel corner. Maybe he restructures and comes back? If not, he'll be missed, one of the best technical tacklers out there (not a guy looking to hurt someone) and a hell of a competitor.
Not going to happen. He was released because he _wouldn't_ restructure his contract and take a pay cut.

The big question I have now is whether Spielman is getting cocky. He had great success last year with unceremoniously cutting older players and forcing the team to become younger, then had a very good draft. Can he pull it off two years in a row? I'm skeptical.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Eli wrote: Not going to happen. He was released because he _wouldn't_ restructure his contract and take a pay cut.

The big question I have now is whether Spielman is getting cocky. He had great success last year with unceremoniously cutting older players and forcing the team to become younger, then had a very good draft. Can he pull it off two years in a row? I'm skeptical.
I don't think "cocky" is the right word. Like posted above ... 7.25 million cap hit for a 36-year old part time player. He simply doesn't fit the mold for that number.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

I'm a little surprised at this move. Spielman better have a replacement in mind because Winfield was still a good CB. Just look at the Packers game in week 17 when Winfield went down. Rodgers kept picking the Vikes (and poor Marcus Sherels) apart for the rest of the game.
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

for seven million we can find a much, much better replacement
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Less than optimistic/flattering piece.

Antoine Winfield dumped by Vikings after refusing pay cut
The veteran defensive-back bloodletting continues. Due to earn $7.25 million this season, Antoine Winfield has been released by the Minnesota Vikings, agent Ashanti Webb tells NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. ESPN 1500 Twin Cities' Tom Pelissero first had the report.

Although Winfield was arguably the league's premier run defender at cornerback and didn't allow a single touchdown last season, coach Leslie Frazier recently suggested that he was headed for a role reduction.

The Vikings are high on young cornerbacks Chris Cook and Josh Robinson, but this move appears to be driven primarily by monetary concerns. The team wanted Winfield to take a pay cut, but he was having none of that.

Coming on the heels of the Percy Harvin blockbuster trade, the Vikings have lost their second-best offensive and defensive players in a span of 24 hours.

As expected, several people associated with the organization are less than thrilled with Winfield's departure. "It's a move backwards," one source told Rapoport. An assistant coach added, "Winfield is a valuable contributor, an excellent leader. Someone will be lucky to have him."

Winfield turns 36 in June and is ideally suited for the slot. He's still playing at a high enough level to draw plenty of interest from contenders.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman has now freed up money for a serious run at wide receivers Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings. In so doing, he has severely hampered his team's ability to make a run at the playoffs for a second consecutive season.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... witter_atl
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Antoine Winfield had no bonus proration left, so the cut is pure cap savings of $7.25 million.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter