Lack of Confidence in Ponder final straw for Percy Harvin

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Lack of Confidence in Ponder final straw for Percy Harvi

Post by The Breeze »

if it's true, i hope it pisses him off.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Ponder:
“You know, he busts his butt all the time when he was here. When he was out on the field, no one worked harder than him. Obviously, everyone saw how tough he was physically and mentally. And he had a lot of leadership qualities. He was a good teammate."

I don't think Ponder is going to be too upset. Harvin has been a former teammate since at least January.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

i wasn't implying Ponder would be pissed at anyone but himself......fired up would be more apt.

i honestly don't blame Harvin at all, if that's how he feels.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:i wasn't implying Ponder would be pissed at anyone but himself......fired up would be more apt.

i honestly don't blame Harvin at all, if that's how he feels.
My question is how much did Harvin due (outside of what we all saw him do on game days) to try and help his QB get better? Did he make every effort to work with Ponder to make them both more effective or did he just complain and withdraw because Ponder wasn't the QB he wanted?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Umm, ... we have 32,000 Harvin threads and 50,000 Ponder threads... we don't need another one.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: My question is how much did Harvin due (outside of what we all saw him do on game days) to try and help his QB get better? Did he make every effort to work with Ponder to make them both more effective or did he just complain and withdraw because Ponder wasn't the QB he wanted?
i have no idea, obviously. but i can't help but wonder what would've happened had childress and co. done more to create continuity at the QB position. and how much, if at all, Moss' influence affected harvin's perception of the organization's lackadaisical approach to it all. he did seem develop an entitlement attitude over the years.

not trying to pin anything on former players, just speaking to the importance of having a clear vision for the team and having guys who fit in. especially veterans with influence. that's on the FO and coaching staff. we've had a lot of starting WRs leave over the last few years....

like i said....i can't really blame him for wanting to go to a situation like seattle. he's in his prime and he only gets one go around.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:As terrible/inconsistent/whatever Ponder is, Percy was on pace for the best season of his career with Ponder throwing to him. So, ya.

Why not start blaming Harvin and stop blaming Ponder for everything. As great as he is and as fun as he was to watch the guy clearly had attitude problem and wanted way too much money. It was time to move on and we got as much for him as we did for Moss when McCombs/Tice jettisoned him.

Harvin couldn't even get a long with Leslie Frazier, can't wait to see what happens with Pete Carroll.

And this isn't me turning on a former player, as so many fans loved to do, I'm just being objective here.
I think that's valid. Ponder may be as bad as some (including Harvin, apparently) believe him to be. Objective facts are these:

1) We won as many games with Harvin this year as without him. So as bad a Ponder may (or may not) be, apparently Harvin was not making Ponder better.
2) Spielman did a great job with his 1st round picks this year (Kalil and Smith) and he gets to play with two more next year. (I'm hoping Spielman's success continues)

Now wouldn't the ultimate in irony be if Percy is leaving because of the QB situation and we are able to find a "stud QB" as a result of the picks we obtained in the trade. Just thinking out loud...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:Now wouldn't the ultimate in irony be if Percy is leaving because of the QB situation and we are able to find a "stud QB" as a result of the picks we obtained in the trade. Just thinking out loud...
The ultimate irony would be if Ponder and the Vikings thrived without Harvin this season and returned to the playoffs while Wilson had a sophomore slump and the Seahawks struggled and missed the postseason. :)
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Why not start blaming Harvin and stop blaming Ponder for everything.
Or we can blame them both. One for being a head case, the other for being a QB who struggles to throw one yard WR screens 3 times in 2 games and sets off said head case.

Not having to see either of them on game day can't come soon enough.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote: The ultimate irony would be if Ponder and the Vikings thrived without Harvin this season and returned to the playoffs while Wilson had a sophomore slump and the Seahawks struggled and missed the postseason. :)
Agree! :D
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

that would be sweet seeing

Harvin act like a little baby

Then Have Rice, Harvin and Golden Tate all fighting each other for balls ..

See Harvin get some huge 50 million dollar quaranteed deal and then go south
and the Sea Chickens can't sign all their young talent and We land Wilson in a
few years LOL
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Last straw or easy scapegoat?
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: The ultimate irony would be if Ponder and the Vikings thrived without Harvin this season and returned to the playoffs while Wilson had a sophomore slump and the Seahawks struggled and missed the postseason. :)
The irony is that Percy was having his best year ever. He was on pace for 110 catches, 1200 yards an 9 TD's receiving.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
ranskal
Transition Player

Post by ranskal »

Wasn't he leading the league in receiving when he got "hurt"? ...or at least very close to leading the league? Complain all you want about Ponder but he was sure able to get Percy the ball...

After how all this went down, I'm happy that he has moved on. I really can't see how this situation could have survived had he stayed.

He was mad with the direction of the offense in the off season so they made him the #2 option behind AD. He has no confidence in Ponder yet he consistently got him the ball. Whatever...
Randy
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Just Me wrote: Agree! :D
Don't count on it.