Best case, worst case, long term from the Harvin deal.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleJarl
Starter

Best case, worst case, long term from the Harvin deal.

Post by PurpleJarl »

Harvin is traded. This topic isn't about YEEEES or NOOOO. Or did we get enough? What I think would be interesting is hearing from everyone, this; With what Spielman has to work with now (the cap room, 2 first round picks, etc) What in your opinion is the BEST case scenario we can end up talent wise, IE what would make you look at this deal as a net positive? As well as, conversely what would make you see this as Herschel Walker part 2?
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Re: Best case, worst case, long term from the Harvin deal.

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

An exact duplicate of my previous post but I believe it has a greater belonging in this topic, wanted to ensure it's seen too, without further ado:

After initial dismay, I became thrilled that we managed to acquire a First Round pick for his services. Greedy and arrogant, no individual is bigger than the team, I admire how the organisation has handled this. Admittedly now we have a gaping hole at WR, even more so. Pick up Tavon Austin in the draft and perhaps Jennings, all will be forgotten.

I think Austin will be the prototypical replacement for Percy, certainly of the same niche, incredibly versatile. Though admittedly we need a big, lengthy compliment and preferably one with experience and the ability to be a viable red zone target. Currently, it appears as though Rudolph's our safest bet. Though Mike Wallace has age on his side, he appears one dimensional and often prone to a case of the dropsies. I would opt for Jennings, though injury plagued recently, when healthy, I still believe he possesses the ability to be one of the top receivers in the league. Remarkably consistent, strong and sure handed. In addition to all of these qualities, the idea of a former fan favourite of Green Bay destroying them appeals greatly.

Harvin's still demanding in excess of a $10 million dollar contract, perfect example of someone who will never be happy, hardly dependable himself either, often injured.

Being well under the cap, we can be players in FA but even one solid acquisition will be satisfying. The Vikes have never been impatient, we'll play it cool and build through the draft on the whole. In a perfect would, we'll add Teo and Tavon Austin, shoring up possibly our two poorest positions.

Did anyone see Rappoport's article on NFL.com? Named Harvin as our most exciting player, I'm sorry.. Did someone forget AD?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Best case? Super Bowl!
Worst case? #1 pick in 2014

But really....

Best case: Jennings (or Wallace that ends up a stud), Patterson and hit (see: "starters") on a combination of Austin/Allen/Hunter/Hopkins/Rodgers with Wright and Simpson rounding out.

Worst case: Miss on Jennings/Wallace (or they end up injured or ineffective) and miss on a combination of Austin/Allen/Hunter/Hopkins/Rodgers

Honestly, we won't know how this move will end up for 2-4 seasons. It would be interesting to revisit this at that time. So many unknowns right now.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

dead_poet wrote:Best case? Super Bowl!
Worst case? #1 pick in 2014

But really....

Best case: Jennings (or Wallace that ends up a stud), Patterson and hit (see: "starters") on a combination of Austin/Allen/Hunter/Hopkins/Rodgers with Wright and Simpson rounding out.

Worst case: Miss on Jennings/Wallace (or they end up injured or ineffective) and miss on a combination of Austin/Allen/Hunter/Hopkins/Rodgers

Honestly, we won't know how this move will end up for 2-4 seasons. It would be interesting to revisit this at that time. So many unknowns right now.
Additional thoughts in the correct format..

Worst Case? Can't really top the aforementioned #1 pick in 2014. Other than that, we fail to replace Percy and the Seahawks burn us in the play-offs with the production of that very WR himself.

Best Case? The Percy trade ends up being a dud move from the 'Hawks perspective, whilst we sit smugly with the subconscious thought of "I told ya' so". Continually injury plagued and unsettled would suit me. As for our team, our passing game flourishes with the addition of an experienced deep threat and an even more capable versatile prospect from the draft. Ultimately these alterations lead to an even deeper run in the post season, whilst Seattle misses out.

.. and I'm not bitter already at all :D
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Best and worst case are the same, IMO: No more Harvin threads.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote:Best and worst case are the same, IMO: No more Harvin threads.
Thank God for that :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Best and worst case are the same, IMO: No more Harvin threads.
:lol:
nfcnorthchamps25
Backup

Post by nfcnorthchamps25 »

Best case: Spielman continues what he started when he took over last offseason and uses the picks he acquired to continue to build a team around young high character players. In a few years the Vikings have a nice core of players and are serious contenders.

Worst case: We are unable to land a decent WR this offseason and Jarius Wright dissapoints in his chance to fill in for Harvin. We are stuck with only Rudolph to throw the ball to and become too one dimensional. Ultimately we go back to being bottom feeder and get another top 5 pick to try again next offseason.

I feel like the best case scenario is more likely. With the offseason Spielman had last offseason you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Also it was proven we don't need Harvin with how we played at the end of last year. Honestly, how people judge this trade will probably depend, like almost everything else, on Christian Ponder. If he spreads the ball around and makes the WRs look good no one will be questioning this trade a year from now.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

GBFavreFan wrote:Best Case:

We sign Greg Jennings tomorrow.
We use our two #1 picks in the 20's on a top LB and a top WR.

Our receiving group will consist of:

--Greg Jennings
--an improved Jarius Wright
--our 1st round pick Keenan Allen?
--a peaking Kyle Rudolph.

not too shabby, and hopefully enough for Ponder to be consistent

I would be very happy with that one. And I also think that is a very realistic outcome.

I also wonder if they might end up taking a second reciever in the 2nd or 3rd round if no FA like Wallace or Jennings is signed. They might be thinking that timing the whole WR corps age-wise with Ponder might be a good option.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

IE what would make you look at this deal as a net positive?
Getting this guy off the team even if we had to cut him would have been a positive. Getting the picks we did along with it? It's already more than a positive!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Best case scenario we nail this draft, Ponder improves greatly, and we re-sign Harvin next off season HAHAHAHAHAH.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Best case: Harvin sucks #### in Seattle. Minnesota drafts Kennan Allen and Justin Hunter and those go on to become the next top receiving duo in the NFL.

Worst case: Harvin creams us this season when we play Seattle. Rick Spielman drafts Manti Te'o with Seattle's pick.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Best case: Harvin sucks #### in Seattle. Minnesota drafts Kennan Allen and Justin Hunter and those go on to become the next top receiving duo in the NFL.

Worst case: Harvin creams us this season when we play Seattle. Rick Spielman drafts Manti Te'o with Seattle's pick.
Te'o would be a part of my best case scenario.

Best case: Sign Jennings, use one pick and 3rd or early 4th to trade up in the first and get Patterson. Draft Te'o at 25. Draft Jesse Williams in the 2nd, and Markus Wheaton in the 3rd (if we still have our 3rd)
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

saint33 wrote:
Te'o would be a part of my best case scenario.

Best case: Sign Jennings, use one pick and 3rd or early 4th to trade up in the first and get Patterson. Draft Te'o at 25. Draft Jesse Williams in the 2nd, and Markus Wheaton in the 3rd (if we still have our 3rd)
Here, here, the kid has so much upside and prevailed admirably during what was an issue that simply spiralled out of control.

His raw ability and God given instinct will allow all of that irrelevant stuff to become a non point, especially under the guidance of model 'backer and seasoned vet Chad Greenway. Those two partnered together makes me drool a little, the image conjured up of Finley/Pettigrew cowering over the prospect of going over the middle is pure heaven.

Yeah.. That'll really improve Jermichael's catching ability :D
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Those two partnered together makes me drool a little, the image conjured up of Finley/Pettigrew cowering over the prospect of going over the middle is pure heaven.
I think the image of Te'o and Greenway in pass coverage makes Finley and Pettigrew drool a little. :lol:
Gibson or Alexander
Wright
2 rookies
Simpson
Something else

hmm, seems decent
:shock: