Harvin traded

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Harvin traded

Post by Rus »

As for the rumor mill in regards to Harvin, the only guy who had a definitive "hate" for Harvin was Sid. And that was because Sid made a big deal up and until the draft that the Vikings weren't going to draft Harvin because his "inside sources" told him so. And when they drafted him, Sid was seriously pissed off. That doesn't come out of my brainpan, that's straight from Reusse's twitter feed. Reusse knows the guy as well as anyone. I would imagine that most reporters who were close to Sid could sympathize, but mostly, I figure it wasn't hate...it was just being able to write about a juicy controversy. When you're a Vikings sportswriter and you're looking at a dull offseason/thinking about maybe getting some work on the side, juicy controversies are money.

In any case, Harvin was obviously a special player, but he was also an incredibly aggravating one. He was easily one of the most two-faced Vikings I can remember in many years...a guy who would make a stink if he was the focus of the offense just as fast as he would when the team would sign or draft a guy to provide some "competition". He had problems with all of the head coaches he's had, and if you can get pissed off personally at Leslie Frazier, you've got an serious attitude. Whenever there were rumblings of problems, no matter how contrived they were, Harvin himself would make a nasty comment, then walk it back a day or two later. He seemed like a guy that the other players really liked, which makes it even harder to figure the guy out. However, if people were constantly reporting that he had a hard time because his quarterback wasn't deserving of his services, that also kind of makes him a cancer. Quarterbacks aren't cheap, they're not easy to find in the draft, and even when you pay a lot of money sometimes they don't pan out. If your organization doesn't have an elite quarterback, a professional will step up his game and make the best of it. Just like Adrian Peterson. Cris Carter did a lot with some pretty retread quarterbacks and you rarely heard him complain to the point where he demanded a trade.

Even if Harvin didn't demand a trade, even if all of this was a fabrication (which I have a hard time believing, because this much usually is based on at least a grain of truth), the guy didn't exactly define what it meant to be a professional. I think Sidney Rice was a more professional player during his time in Minnesota. Losing Rice was kind of a gut-check for me, even though he had a bad case of the injury-itis. Harvin had a lot of the Moss attitude without the straightforward honesty, and it really began grating on me last year. At least with Randy Moss, you knew exactly where he stood on a situation. And ultimately, this was all about money from what everyone has said. Harvin wanted some insane money and didn't get it. The kind of money that would have made it next to impossible for the Vikings to fill other holes that they've got. If he wanted a salary closer to Megatron's, then all one has to do is take a close look at the Lion's record and you kind of realize how much good that would do you.
-Rus
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Hmm,

Glad he's gone. If he didn't want to be Viking and Honour his Draft Contract he was happy to sign like a grown Man then #### HIM. Another Smart Assed injury prone Jerk Off gone to Seattle. Seattle is becoming the new raiders, a Team full of ungrateful DICK HEADS only wanting more Money. Be a Man Like AD and Not A PUNK Dopehead. in Three years he and Sidney Rice will be out of the NFL smoking Dope in the parking lot of a Seattle 7-11 :wallbang:
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

not sure if this has been covered in another area, but could the vikings even afford cruz? he's gonna want 10 mil a season at least...
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Decker85 wrote:I'm glad Percy is gone. Don't get me wrong, he's great. I even named my truck Percy, but when all his drama came out I renamed it to Fran Truckenton.
Anyways, if he stayed, it would have gotten bad. Like Titus Young or Moss in Oakland bad. I got really tired of all this prima Dona Percy rumor crap. I know hes a hard guy to replace but the dude is a cancer. Plus, two first rounders this year is sweeet. Hopefully K. Allen and someone else vikings need. Hopefully the Seattle pick isn't wasted on a "best player available" pick. In Spilmen I trust.

Francis is a better name than Percy, even for a truck ;~)
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Laserman wrote:Hmm,

Glad he's gone. If he didn't want to be Viking and Honour his Draft Contract he was happy to sign like a grown Man then #### HIM. Another Smart Assed injury prone Jerk Off gone to Seattle. Seattle is becoming the new raiders, a Team full of ungrateful DICK HEADS only wanting more Money. Be a Man Like AD and Not A PUNK Dopehead. in Three years he and Sidney Rice will be out of the NFL smoking Dope in the parking lot of a Seattle 7-11 :wallbang:
Well, let's not forget where that bum Carlson came from.

I don't have the animosity towards Percy as it seems some of you have, but it is almost relieving that Minnesota can move on. It's just tough when you have an athlete like that who happens to be a great football player. There's not many like him.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm pretty conflicted over this one.

On one hand, if he wanted out then the Vikings got good compensation. Better to get something now then keep him for a year and get nothing. On the other hand, it stings to have a ROY traded, AGAIN.

If the Vikings can land Cruz I think that would be the ideal situation. Spielman has been good in the early rounds but it's still a crap shoot. Cruz is at least a proven commodity. Still, we know at least one team values Harvin much higher than Cruz. If not Seattle sends a 1st to the Giants and keeps their 3rd 2014 and 7th.

I think the overall success of this trade will depend not only on this position but what the Vikings do at other spots as well. Will guys like Loadholt and Felton get locked up or will they hit the market? How will the Vikings address the backup QB position? Etc. I also hope Spielman sits on those two picks in the 1st. This draft is deep at WR, I see no need to trade up.
ranskal
Transition Player

Post by ranskal »

Laserman wrote:Hmm,

i feel the same way. He obviously wanted out and had issues with the organization. We did perfectly fine without him at the end of the year when we needed to win. I do hope they get a WR through FA.
Randy
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Seattle will overpay him.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

well, I am TRYING not to panic but as I see it we now have a very questionable inconsistent QB and NOT ONE nfl PRO WR....wtf!?!?

If you thought AP was forced to be superman LAST year.....what the hell do we expect of him this year??

Draft 2 GREAT WRs?? Its probably the slowest position to develop short of QB.

DAMN.......and all we got was a LATE 1st round Pick.....what a crappy deal......
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

...and wtf is it with Seatle?? They took Rice AND Harvin....next year they will engineer a way to get AP, right??
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

chicagopurple wrote:...and wtf is it with Seatle?? They took Rice AND Harvin....next year they will engineer a way to get AP, right??
Steve Hutchinson, John Carlson both from Seattle. Heath Farwell former Vikings ST Pro-Bowler in the same role for Seattle now. Bevell their OC who had also brought in Tarvaris. It's strange indeed.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Don't let the Purple Door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!!! Buh Bye!!! :lol: :lol: jk
Opens up a lot of options. A lot of buzz about Cruz. Anyone think that he wouldn't be the same WR in Minny? For years the Vikings have been lowballed by trades and 1st round busts. I have liked the Vikings making hay while the sun is shining. :rock: :v): :rock:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Steve Hutchinson, John Carlson both from Seattle. Heath Farwell former Vikings ST Pro-Bowler in the same role for Seattle now. Bevell their OC who had also brought in Tarvaris. It's strange indeed.

lest you forget nate burleson~
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I had, but I shouldn't have. Midwest/Pacific Northwest connection. Peep the username. :v):
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mercy Percy wrote:Somewhere Demi is rejoicing. :rock: :rock: :rock: :v): :v): :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike:

Adrian Peterson isn't.

This is from AD: The best all around player I ever seen or you'll ever see! Goes to Seattle! I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach. Several times!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... omach-kick