Vikings to Play Two Seasons at TCF Bank Stadium

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Vikings to Play Two Seasons at TCF Bank Stadium

Post by Cliff »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... nk-stadium
MINNEAPOLIS -- Next season will be the Minnesota Vikings' last in the 31-year-old Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, and fans of the purple and gold can look forward to blue lips and red cheeks as they shiver through two seasons of old-school, outdoor football.

Vikings vice president Lester Bagley said Friday that the team plans to play at the University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium during the 2014 and 2015 seasons, while the team's new stadium gets built at the Metrodome site in downtown Minneapolis.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings to Play Two Seasons at TCF Bank Stadium

Post by Purple bruise »

That might explain, if it is true, why Harvin wants out of Minny. After all he is a Florida kinda guy. :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Didn't we already know that? I thought that's been the plan for quite some time.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I wasn't aware of it and it was just posted on NFL.com so I thought it was news. I can delete the post if it was already common knowledge.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

No, maybe I just assumed that's how it would be done and this formally announces the schedule. The plan has always been to be ready for the opening of the 2016 season, and logically the only way to do that is to construct the stadium during the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Although they possibly could, they wouldn't want to move to TCF in the middle of 2013, nor could they wait any longer than early 2014 to begin demolition of the Humpty Dome, since the new stadium is being built mostly in its place.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think it was talked about, but never made official until just now.

That will be cool... I presume that means some upgrades (I haven't read the article yet) so that benefits for the Gophers too.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I think it was talked about, but never made official until just now.

That will be cool... I presume that means some upgrades (I haven't read the article yet) so that benefits for the Gophers too.

There is a downside for the Gophers though. They will have to clean up all of the wounded ducks that Ponder left all over their field every week :rofl:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

This should be FUN! Takes me back to my childhood getting to watch Tark run around like a madman.....Cant wait. HMMMM gonna have to buy a purple snow suit.....
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

I envy the locals :beerchug:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

headless_norseman wrote:I envy the locals :beerchug:
me too! as of now i'm hoping to catch a game this upcoming season and then i likely won't be able to get back until the opening of our new stadium. :(

you guys are lucky!
i'm ready for a beer.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

mrc44 wrote: My buddy and I are planning a trip out to visit some of his family members a catch one of the last games in the Metrodome. We live out in Northern California, but the flights are CHEAP CHEAP
awesome! i'm headed to fargo in september to watch montana state take on north dakota state and am crossing my fingers that the vikes play at home that same weekend. if not i'm not sure i'll be able to get a game in person for another year or so. hope your trip works out. :smilevike:
i'm ready for a beer.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mrc44 wrote: My buddy and I are planning a trip out to visit some of his family members a catch one of the last games in the Metrodome. We live out in Northern California, but the flights are CHEAP CHEAP
My question would be why? It smelled like and old tennis shoe the first year it was built. I can't imagine what it smells like today. :D

That being said, I hope you have fun.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think I might make a game this year as well. I graduate soon and think I will the visit the the old stadium one last time
before they tear it down. maybe the last home game ? That would be cool ..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

jackal wrote:I think I might make a game this year as well. I graduate soon and think I will the visit the the old stadium one last time
before they tear it down. maybe the last home game ? That would be cool ..
You mean the NFC Championship game?

Tickets won't come easy you know :wink:
ranskal
Transition Player

Post by ranskal »

When the Vikes played the game there when the roof collapsed, didn't they say that the TCF field was not heated? I wonder if they will add something for that or just play on it that way.
Randy