The realistic Rick Spielman free agency moves thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: The realistic Rick Spielman free agency moves thread

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:And Housh when...well people actually wanted him.

It doesn't matter who he wants when the QB situation is what it is, and what it has been. He can target anyone he wants they're not coming here to catch balls from Ponder when they can get similar money elsewhere and actually have some sucess.
You never miss an opportunity to bring up your favorite subject, do you? ;)

It's clear that a receiver can have success with Ponder throwing to him. Harvin was so successful last season that his name was coming up as a potential MVP candidate before he was injured. Rudolph caught 9 TDs and was successful enough to be invited to the Pro Bowl as an alternate. I doubt Ponder is going to chase potential free agent WRs away from Minnesota. There's clearly an opportunity for a good outside WR to be successful in the Vikings offense.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Going into the season we knew all the holes couldn't be filled, it's simply not realistic to overhaul a swiss cheese roster in one offseason. That being said, I think we can all be in agreement that the Vikings found excellent talent at safety, LT, FB, and Kicker. You could further argue they may have also found a solid corner and slot receiver. That's 6 new contributors from just one offseason.

Yeah other than Felton free agency looks like a flop right now but if the Vikings can add another 4-6 solid players this offseason they should be in good shape.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Jennings I'm not in love with. I could see him staying in Green Bay or going to Miami.

Bowe or Wallace are the guys I'd want.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

S197 wrote:Going into the season we knew all the holes couldn't be filled, it's simply not realistic to overhaul a swiss cheese roster in one offseason. That being said, I think we can all be in agreement that the Vikings found excellent talent at safety, LT, FB, and Kicker. You could further argue they may have also found a solid corner and slot receiver. That's 6 new contributors from just one offseason.

Yeah other than Felton free agency looks like a flop right now but if the Vikings can add another 4-6 solid players this offseason they should be in good shape.
I agree with this. I don't think that we make any big moves come March, but I think we'll make solid moves...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

NextQuestion wrote:Jennings I'm not in love with. I could see him staying in Green Bay or going to Miami.

Bowe or Wallace are the guys I'd want.
Ive wanted Bowe ( I really wanted Vjack but almost every poster here said hes too old, costs too much, etc, and then we utterly wasted millions on a TE thats injury prone) but so many have fallen into this trap that we cant sign a good FA. And we cant spend alot of money on one. Because maybe, just maybe, overpaying for an already proven WR may be just the thing to give Ponder a little confidence. But after this Carlson mess I dont know if I want Spielman picking our receivers (and I KNOW i dont want him picking our QBs).
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Did we really need this post about Spielman :shock: Then follows all of the hindsight observations of could of should of would of. Then the Carlson signing, the Ponder bashing it goes on and on in several other topics already in place :confused:
Guess the draft can not come soon enough so that the naysayers can bash Spielman some more unti he once again makes them look foolish :rofl:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

NextQuestion wrote:The Carlson thing was baffling because I promise you no other team was ringing his agent's phone. Isn't Mike Wallace only 26? Seems like a good age to me
This is already in the Carlson thread but this just might give you a little insight into the signing. Also remember that he was the leading receiver on the Sea Hawks and the Vikes needed another tight end for their offense. Some of us might think that we know more about players than does Spielman but I would not bet on it. :wink:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

KoolAid - I was all about Vincent Jackson. He was money for San Diego and he was great in Tampa Bay. He seems like he's doing well in a veteran leadership role in Tampa as well.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Honestly, I thought Minnesota was going to go after Vincent Jackson last year. I wanted them to at the time, but I also understood why they didn't.

I hate to say it, but anyone thinking this team is going to break the bank this offseason is fooling themselves. I expect this team to sign at least a couple of players, but I highly doubt he get into a bidding war over someone. That is ok with me. I want this team to be smart with who they sign.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Also: Interesting to see how different the Seahawks are now. Different TEs, WRs, and QB.

Keep in mind this highlight reel was against a 1-15 Rams.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

NextQuestion wrote:Also: Interesting to see how different the Seahawks are now. Different TEs, WRs, and QB.

Keep in mind this highlight reel was against a 1-15 Rams.

Also keep in mind that he has led the Seahawks in receptions. Rudolph got most of the opprotunities as a receiver from the tight end position and that will not change this next year. This type of offense runs best out of a two tight end set and Carlson has good size and good hands. I will be anxious to see how well he performs this next and if he does not then he will be gone. Of course Spielman is a fool and does not have a clue right, but he did sign a fullback that made the Pro bowl the no one else seemed to want very much. :confused:

Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Just wondering, what makes you guys think that Carlson will be any better next year?
ADMVP & CCHOF
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Dark wrote:Just wondering, what makes you guys think that Carlson will be any better next year?
Because he can't be much worse?

But in reality, he'll have a full offseason, another with the same offense/QB and health.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Dark wrote:Just wondering, what makes you guys think that Carlson will be any better next year?
I don't necessarily think he will be better next year but I think he could be better because he's been better in every other season of his NFL career in which he played. I think the missed time leading up to last season hurt him, especially since he was coming off a serious injury that cost him the entire 2011 season. He has the skills to be a bigger, more effective part of the offense. That doesn't mean it will happen but there's reason to believe he's capable of playing better.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: Because he can't be much worse?

But in reality, he'll have a full offseason, another with the same offense/QB and health.
JC was hobbled durng the preseason by an injury as well as coming off injuries in 2011. No one can say he "will be better", but case in point, Rudolph was only so-so in 2011, we found out later he had a hammy injury he was dealing with all season. IN 2012 he was a whole lot better. So given the above, it is certainly possible that if healthy JC will be better.

This is also the same argument to bring back JS. Hobbled by injuries/ we didn't really see him playing healthy all year.

IMO, we've seen them both suck while playing at less than 100%. That doesn't mean they'll suck when playing at 100%. The question is how much better can they be? They obviously need to be better, if they can't be then they should be cut. If they are not cut, then it implies that the FO/Coaching thinks they'll be better, ergo my question.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi