The realistic Rick Spielman free agency moves thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: The realistic Rick Spielman free agency moves thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Keenan Allen is also as injury prone as Hunter yet people neglect to add that.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Keenan Allen is also as injury prone as Hunter yet people neglect to add that.
I don't see that neglected at all, it's the major knock on Allen. I think without that injury, he'd be the #1 WR off the board.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote: I don't see that neglected at all, it's the major knock on Allen. I think without that injury, he'd be the #1 WR off the board.
Maybe. It just seems like some people think hes like an AJ Green or Blackmon. He isnt. I think hunter is almost as good and Hunter might be there with our second pick because he has a few more drops.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:It just seems like some people think hes like an AJ Green or Blackmon. He isnt. I think hunter is almost as good and Hunter might be there with our second pick because he has a few more drops.
From what I've read, scouts are pretty much in a consensus there isn't an AJ Green/Calvin Johnson in this draft. There are several – like Allen – that are in the tier just below that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
shannontw
Veteran

Post by shannontw »

Terrance Williams from Baylor should be our guy if the vikings go WR 1st rd.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

shannontw wrote:Terrance Williams from Baylor should be our guy if the vikings go WR 1st rd.

I like him too, but I think he may be available at our 2nd pick. 23's probably too high.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote:Realistically I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings didn't sign any free agents this offseason beyond the Zack Bowman/Brandon Carr (those 2 DB's we cut) level. Because we made the playoffs and went 10-6, that justifies going with what we currently have in Spielman's mind.
I think it's safe to say none of us know what Spielman is thinking. He keeps his cards pretty close to his vest.

You're probably right that the draft will be Spielman's main focus but if he relies primarily on the draft, it may just be because he believes (with good reason) that drafting well is the best way to build a winning team that can sustain success for an extended period of time. He didn't seem to need a 10-6 record to justify his focus on young players last year so I doubt he'll feel the need to justify that focus this time around. The success of teams who have made the draft their primary building tool is enough justification.

There's a level of free agent between the big names like Bowe and Wallace and players like Bowman and Carr and I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikes signed some of those mid-level free agents. If they go after a top level guy it might be at a position like guard, DT or corner. Of course, Loadholt still isn't signed so that's something to keep an eye on too...

I think you're right that if Harvin gets his payday, it's unlikely the Vikes will sign a WR like Wallace or Jennings. In that situation, I suspect they'll look to the draft for WR help and use free agency as a means to add depth. If Harvin doesn't get his payday, all bets are off!
Purple Rage
Franchise Player

Post by Purple Rage »

I honestly want to see Minnesota start building from the draft, if a deal makes sense an doesn't put us in a bind cap wise I'm all for it. I really want to see Harvin an the Vikes make it work, he's a special talent and is by far one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league. I know there are big wr names dangling Wallace, Bowe, Welker, Jennings. All of those guys would have us jumpin for joy if we signed one......my favorite option is Bowe if any. but what about a more under the radar guy like Denario Alexander. 6'5 good hands and showed he has what it takes to make big plays toward the end of the year. He wouldnt be as expensive an is only 24!!! I still have a lot of faith in Greg Childs to be a stud on the outside, given his injury is healing and will be 100% soon. If we happen to lose Harvin we will probably trade for a high drft pick. Best case IMO would be using the high pick on defense on someone like Ogletree, picking up Denario Alexander, using pick 23 on Patterson/Hopkins and taking a chance on Ryan Swope later in the draft (a guy I think will be a stud). so our core will look like this Patterson/Alexander/Childs/Wright/Swope. I would be thrilled, might take some time to gel but I think getting young and having that kind of talent would give the Vikes a chanCe To be a real contender.
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Just a question, but what does Spielman gain by indicating he is going to go big in FA? IMO he gains more by keeping his mouth shut.

Also, as has been cited on here in the past, Spielman has shown a willingness to go big in FA for the right player, most notably WR. I think you are right that their being 10-6 changes things. I do not see them shoving a monster contract in front of player in his 30s, but I could see them going big on a players in his mid 20s if he plays a position they need and they feel he is the right fit for the club.

I think it is a mistake to assume we know Spielman based on last year's actions. Last year was a team in full rebuilding mode. To view the team in that light this year would be asinine, thus we should expect the behavior of the FO to be different as well. To what degree is the question and thus far we haven't seen or heard anything that would give us any kind of bead on where their thinking is at, thus all we really have is conjecture.

My opinion is they might be willing to make a move for outside help at WR as well as CB. How big I do not know, but I have to imagine the PH contract will have an impact on how that plays out. There is also risk of their losing Felton and Loadholt if they are not careful.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote:Close to the vest? I'd say he's been one of the more transparent GM's around and his actions have hardly been mysterious or confusing. He was quite open about wanting to rebuild around youth and all of his actions backed that up. It also came out that he was against bringing in veteran QB Donovan McNabb in 2011 which is also consistent with his actions and reveals his philosophy and plan for the team. The veteran free agents he targeted in 2012 were short term deals or relvatively young (Garcon/Carlson). Other than that he didn't even look at vets like Laron Landry types. All of his actions have backed up the mantra of going youth. And that is not something that every NFL team does.
You're talking about his basic philosophical approach to the job. I meant he keeps more specific information close to his vest. He rarely discusses internal business, anything to do with player contracts, etc. He'll talk about players in the draft but he's not likely to tip his hand there either. Just because we know his basic philosophy regarding team building and free agency, I don't think we can presume to know what he'll do when the FA period begins. Will he stick with younger players? That's probably a safe bet but that's not the same as saying the only free agents he'll sign are at the level of Zack Bowman and Brandon Carr.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote: I guess we'll have to wait and see what he does!
Exactly. :)