Favorite Vikings' Moment?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dark
Transition Player

Re: Favorite Vikings' Moment?

Post by Dark »

My personal favorite moment was Ahmad Rashad's hail mary catch against the Browns in 1980 to win the game. That was an absolutely amazing play.
ADMVP & CCHOF
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Qadry wasn't the Rocket that was his brother Raghib "Rocket" Ismail.
Qadry was "the Missile"
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Sutsgold wrote:

As for personal moments, I grew up in Mankato before we moved to Chicago. Back in the 70s very few people went to training camp, so there was no cost to do so. It was a cheap way for my dad to entertain me. At the end of practice we would hang out at the gate where the players would walk out to cross the streets and head to the dorms. We would just stand there and I would give "fives" to the likes of Page, Tarkenton, Yary, Blair, Krause, Foreman, Eller and my alltime favorite Marshall. Those were great moments that I was lucky enough to share with my dad.
That... is awesome!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

Sutsgold wrote:As for personal moments, I grew up in Mankato before we moved to Chicago. Back in the 70s very few people went to training camp, so there was no cost to do so. It was a cheap way for my dad to entertain me. At the end of practice we would hang out at the gate where the players would walk out to cross the streets and head to the dorms. We would just stand there and I would give "fives" to the likes of Page, Tarkenton, Yary, Blair, Krause, Foreman, Eller and my alltime favorite Marshall. Those were great moments that I was lucky enough to share with my dad.
That really is awesome. A much as I am attached to all the teams following that era, those were the players I grew up with, and remain my favorites in many ways. What great memories to have!
"Meet at the quarterback"
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Qadry wasn't the Rocket that was his brother Raghib "Rocket" Ismail.

That's right... I sensed something was off.

Loved the anecdote of giving the 70s legends high-fives in Mankato. What a great memory. BTW, when I made the thread I wasn't necessarily thinking "plays" but literally "moments" so everything is legit--for example, just the other day when CC made the HOF and AD got MVP, that's a great Viking's moment. Personal moments count too. I figured the off-season is long and boring and this is a better exercise than bickering over minutia and speculations.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

My favorite moment was probably off-field. When I was around 11, my Dad's company sponsored the Pro Bowl so we were invited to a private dinner with the players every year (for about four or five years). I got to meet a ton of Vikings and get their autographs. As long as I didn't stand between them and the food, they were all really nice. :lol:
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Opening day 1995 I had a pre-game field pass. I took a bunch of pictures of the Vikings warming up and as they were headed back to the locker room, Jake Reed, tossed me his gloves. For my birthday a month later my Dad somehow got the gloves to be signed. No idea if the autograph is real but hey...it was awesome! I told Jake Reed about it on Twitter last year and he was all "No way! sweet man" with me.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

NextQuestion wrote:Opening day 1995 I had a pre-game field pass. I took a bunch of pictures of the Vikings warming up and as they were headed back to the locker room, Jake Reed, tossed me his gloves. For my birthday a month later my Dad somehow got the gloves to be signed. No idea if the autograph is real but hey...it was awesome! I told Jake Reed about it on Twitter last year and he was all "No way! sweet man" with me.

That's awesome!
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Reed was my main man until Moss showed up :)
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Dark wrote:My personal favorite moment was Ahmad Rashad's hail mary catch against the Browns in 1980 to win the game. That was an absolutely amazing play.
For those of us who watched that game, the play before that was almost as amazing. The Vikes had the ball back at their 20 with no timeouts, and threw the hook and lateral to (hey, forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's a 32 year old memory) Joe Senser, who lateraled to Ted Brown, who took it somewhere near midfield and got out of bounds. Essentially, they stacked up two once-in-a-lifetime plays to win that game, because they weren't scoring on a hail mary from their own 20.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

John_Viveiros wrote: For those of us who watched that game, the play before that was almost as amazing. The Vikes had the ball back at their 20 with no timeouts, and threw the hook and lateral to (hey, forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's a 32 year old memory) Joe Senser, who lateraled to Ted Brown, who took it somewhere near midfield and got out of bounds. Essentially, they stacked up two once-in-a-lifetime plays to win that game, because they weren't scoring on a hail mary from their own 20.
Its funny you say that, because I was arguing with myself whether to choose Ahmad Rashad's catch or that one.Now that I think about it, I could of just said that whole drive.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

My favorite moment was Petersons single game record. Only because it was the only Viking game I have ever attended. My wife surprised my with a birthday gift of the game! So to be there was special enough, but to watch Peterson do it live was something special! :smilevike:
Eliot
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Eliot »

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250925016

My first ever Vikings game.
And we beat the Saints :)
Minnesota Vikings fan from Missouri!

Skol!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: That was a great moment!

This one is hard to beat:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vik ... vs-Vikings

There have been a bunch of great plays by Vikings like Alan Page, Adrian Peterson, Cris Carter, Moss, etc. that I simply loved. That Moss lateral to Williams is probably my favorite Moss moment.
Weird.

The title of the video says 1980. The URL says 1980.

But the little tag on the video itself says, "Dec. 28, 1975."

It was actually 1980.

Very unusual for NFL Network to get something like that wrong.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.