2013 Free Agent Tracker & Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2013 Free Agent Tracker & Discussion

Post by Mothman »

Wise words from Mike Wobschall over at Vikings.com:

http://blog.vikings.com/2013/03/06/mond ... cy-primer/
Long story longer, the key to free agency is not making the biggest splash or identifying the best players at each position and then pursuing them. The key to free agency is identifying and signing players who fit the scheme and can be obtained with reasonable salaries. That leaves cap space and cash for the best kind of free agent signing – the re-signing of your own free agents whom you know fit with your team, which in the Vikings case could be players such as right tackle Phil Loadholt, safety Jamarca Sanford and even a future free agents such as Everson Griffen.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

A lot of young cornerbacks with coverage skills on Prisco's free agent list, as well as a few safeties. That's encouraging.
8. Glover Quin, S, Texans -- He can play in the box. He can cover. He's young. He's a former corner. What's not to like? Watch his Vikings tape. You will love the kid.
The Vikings love players from other teams who they've seen first hand.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:A lot of young cornerbacks with coverage skills on Prisco's free agent list, as well as a few safeties. That's encouraging.
I thought so too and Quin was one of the players on the list who jumped out at me. He could be a nice addition to the defense.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Eli wrote:A lot of young cornerbacks with coverage skills on Prisco's free agent list, as well as a few safeties. That's encouraging.
The Vikings love players from other teams who they've seen first hand.
Its right, whats not to like about him. I've seen him play in a good amount of games and he is a great player. Hes only 27 so hes got a lot left in him. He would be an awesome addition to the defense.
ADMVP & CCHOF
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Sign VY and Wallace!!

Post by VikingPaul73 »

This would be an unstoppable offense! Two running threats in the backfield, a burner to stretch the field in Wallace, and Harvin finding openings in the middle, always a threat to take a 5 yard pass to the house (even more with Wallace and VY's arm stretching the D).

Vikes would average 250 yards rushing per game AND 250 passing!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Some good perspective on what's about to go down in the next 3 days leading up to free agency:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 02091.html

I think some of what they say pertains to the percy Harvin situation as well, even if Harvin isn't a free agent. It's rumor and speculation season in the NFL right now...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Sign VY and Wallace!!

Post by PurpleMustReign »

VikingPaul73 wrote:This would be an unstoppable offense! Two running threats in the backfield, a burner to stretch the field in Wallace, and Harvin finding openings in the middle, always a threat to take a 5 yard pass to the house (even more with Wallace and VY's arm stretching the D).

Vikes would average 250 yards rushing per game AND 250 passing!

Obviously a joke post here.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Vince Young? Ha! No, thanks!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Vince Young? Ha! No, thanks!
He's a veteran with starting experience. What's wrong with him! He's started and won games in the NFL!

Not like our backup QB situation makes much difference between Vince Young or Matt Moore or any other mid level bum they mention. As long as we aren't talking Joe Webb we're talking guys that won't make a lick of difference between the lot of them in actual performance...
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Demi wrote: He's a veteran with starting experience. What's wrong with him! He's started and won games in the NFL!

Not like our backup QB situation makes much difference between Vince Young or Matt Moore or any other mid level bum they mention. As long as we aren't talking Joe Webb we're talking guys that won't make a lick of difference between the lot of them in actual performance...
You know what, I'd take vince young as our back up. Being out of football may have helped him a lot and nearly all the negatives for him were in his head. The other thing is, when he had his head on straight, he actually wasn't that bad, I'm a big believer that his running and fairly decent deep ball is the only reason CJ ever ran for 2000+.

Maybe it's because I just watched money ball the other day but i'd take a chance on him!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What do you guys think the reason is that the Vikings haven't re-signed anyone yet? I was thinking they at least would have signed Felton by now.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What do you guys think the reason is that the Vikings haven't re-signed anyone yet? I was thinking they at least would have signed Felton by now.
My guess is either the Vikings or the players want to let the market determine the price.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Late adjustments put Vikings at $14.8 million below the salary cap:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Late ... 030913?t=2

Late cap adjustments put the Minnesota Vikings about $14.8 million under their adjusted 2013 salary cap as of Saturday morning.

The league does final calculations before the league year begins for not likely to be earned incentives that were paid, likely to be earned incentives that weren't and other accounting.
More at the link.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Vince Young was beat out by TJack last year and then never signed onto another team. He is not even a good option as a backup QB
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Why we don't develop our third string guy.. He is more of QB background than Joe Webb..

We should get Kevin Willams to restructure or dumb him.. this is a deep DT class and Willams
is about done
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!