Pondering's End of the Year Mock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Pondering's End of the Year Mock

Post by Rus »

losperros wrote: Very nice job. I enjoyed reading all of it.

Just one small thing, though. Am I the only one who thinks John Carlson was a bust? I'm thinking the Vikings should look to the draft or free agency for another receiving TE if that's what they want.

On another note, I'd prefer seeing more 3WR sets (with Harvin, Wright, and hopefully better WRs).

Seriously, how badly does the team really need Carlson?
You are far from being the only one. Considering the reaction the Seahens had when the Vikings signed him away (aka ho hum), we probably should have kept our expectations in check. It wasn't a good signing and I think Ellison might be a better end. I think the Seahawks felt he just wasn't worth THAT much, despite being a good player for them.
-Rus
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Oh man, I hope you're wrong about Jason Campbell. I'd like to see someone that can come in here and take over in case Ponder decides he's to sore to play for a few weeks (haha sorry, I had to take 1 more shot). Ponders leash will be a lot shorter next year too (I hope) so I'd like to see us bring in a longer term answer like an Alex Smith type. I think Campbell would be a decent temporary backup for a quarter here and there or maybe even a start, but man we're not going to win #### if we have to rely on Campbell for an extended period of time or playoff run. I've seen us waste enough games and seasons on pet projects and lack of a backup plan.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Reignman wrote:Ponders leash will be a lot shorter next year too (I hope)
I don't see that happening. If anything, his leash may get longer. Unless the Vikings sign a veteran who they feel can come right off the bench and be an upgrade to a struggling Ponder, expect another year of nothing but.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont think we really need him but I did read that if we cut him we end up losing money. So instead I'd rather them just restructure his contract.
Read the previous post about Carlson's contract. The Vikings CAN'T restructure his contract ... not for 2013, at least. They're on the hook contractually to pay him $1.2 million, and Carlson is not going to say, "You know what, Mr. Wilf? I sucked last year, so I'll be happy to take the minimum."

They can cut him, but they still have to pay him. It's guaranteed money. I don't like it either, but its' time to face facts. He's going to be on the team next year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Read the previous post about Carlson's contract. The Vikings CAN'T restructure his contract ... not for 2013, at least. They're on the hook contractually to pay him $1.2 million, and Carlson is not going to say, "You know what, Mr. Wilf? I sucked last year, so I'll be happy to take the minimum."

They can cut him, but they still have to pay him. It's guaranteed money. I don't like it either, but its' time to face facts. He's going to be on the team next year.
Good point. I never realized that!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Good point. I never realized that!
Your other ideas are pretty good.

I mentioned this in another thread -- as an alternative to re-signing Harvin, how about offering him to Arizona in exchange for Larry Fitzgerald? We might have to give up a mid-round draft pick as well, but I think it would be worth it. 'Zona is starting over, and Fitz has been in quarterback hell since the day Warner retired. I have to believe that coming home might look pretty good to him ... heck, even Christian Ponder is better than the parade of losers they've had under center for the past four years.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Never EVER take a Chicago Bears castoff...their team is bad enough and anyone they throw away has to be horrible! Haven't you learned from Aramashadou? Berrian?? etc etc

I WISH Gerhart was an excellent pass blocker, it would justify keeping him....but he isnt....SO if we can get a good draft pick, it makes sense...I just wonder if a team like NE will really give up a good draft choice. As you say, they always seem to take our players and make something better out of them...which sux....