Assessing the Roster

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Assessing the Roster

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:Well regardless of our difference of opinion, I would be very suprised if he is replaced in 2013.
I'm not saying he needs to be replaced. What I'm saying is he needs to IMPROVE (this includes consistency) more in 2013 than he did in 2012, if possible. I just don't know if it's possible.
I sure wish Asher Allen hadn't retired, he was finally turning the corner late last year.
Meh. Asher left a sour taste in my mouth. He was always beat and always looking for an offensive pass interference call as the reason he was beat. I'll agree that his play had improved, but I don't know if he even improved to the point where I'd feel comfortable with him as a #3 CB.
I think the WR situation is much more interesting right now.
I'd agree it's in worse shape.
I agree they need to make changes, but I think people are taking it way too much for granted that they'll just up and sign some big name or high draft pick. The numbers in terms of personnel seem to point in another direction, especially with the "youth" bias currently being expressed by the GM.
They've been linked to several the last couple of years, so there's interest. And Wilf will spend. A guy like Wallace would fit into the "youth" movement as well. The Vikings have shown they like to sign guys coming off their first contract.
That being said, Paul Allen commented on something I've been casually noticing and that is the fact that it seems like Greg Jennings wants to play here. Could be nothing, but who knows?
The more I think about it, the more I'd be okay with it (I'd prefer him over Bowe anyway). It'll just take awhile to wash the cheese stank off of him. Provided he can stay healthy, he'd represent a significant upgrade. He's worth exploring.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Assessing the Roster

Post by Eli »

I agree that Cook isn't quite all that he's cracked up to be, nevermind the injury problems. But all in all, he's still the best coverage corner the Vikings have, so far from their biggest concern. The Vikings need a lot more talent at LB and in the secondary: two new starting linebackers, a CB opposite Cook, and a S opposite Harrison Smith. It's not all going to happen this year, but we saw what the addition of just one quality player like Smith did to upgrade the secondary and make everyone look a better. I'm betting that if Cook were surrounded by some better talent that he, too, would be improved.