End of Season Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: End of Season Thoughts

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote: Actually, the Vikings OL only allowed 32 sacks (11th in the NFL) and 64 QB hits (6th in the NFL). They have made some serious positive strides!
They have made strides, even over the course of this past season, although Ponder's escapability contributed to that relatively low sack total. A less mobile QB would have been sacked quite a few more times behind that line.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Mothman wrote: They have made strides, even over the course of this past season, although Ponder's escapability contributed to that relatively low sack total. A less mobile QB would have been sacked quite a few more times behind that line.
True, Ponder's mobility is definitely helpful. In 2011, the Vikings gave up 49 sacks (26th in the NFL) and 76 QB Hits (16th in the NFL). I'll take improvement however we can get it!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote: True, Ponder's mobility is definitely helpful. In 2011, the Vikings gave up 49 sacks (26th in the NFL) and 76 QB Hits (16th in the NFL). I'll take improvement however we can get it!!
Amen to that.

I thought the line did a much better job down the stretch. The pass protection was really ugly for a while in the middle of the season. From the Cardinals game through the TB and Seattle games, it was brutal to watch. Thankfully, they seemed to get it together by the time the late season winning streak began.