I love the pre-game spin

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I love the pre-game spin

Post by DanAS »

Is anyone in the national media taking the Vikes in this one? Obviously, the odds makers expect them to lose, and not in a close game. The VIkes can lose by a full TD and they'll still beat the spread. It's the most lopsided thread of the weekend. Honestly, I don't even know why the Vikes are even bothering to make the trip?

They surely (a) can't beat a great team two weeks in a row, (b) can't beat a team they barely beat at home when they have to play them on the road, (c) can't beat a team in cold weather when they can't even practice in cold weather and will surely wilt in that climate, (d) can't beat a team whose star CB is returning in full strength after they had all they can handle when they played their rivals without him, (e) can't win because their QB will have to have a career-best game in order even to stay close, (f) can't beat a team when in order to stay competitive they need 200 yard games from a running back, (g) can't win when they're just happy to be in the playoffs after a 3-13 year and when the host team is piping mad that the Vikes stripped them of their week off, (h) can't win when they showed in the last half of their last game against their rivals that they can't stop the opponent's QB. .... Blah, blah, blah.

I'm sick of this junk. The Vikes earned their way into this game, and they are far more than just a team with a great running back. As for the Packers, they always get treated like Gods by the media, so it surprises me not at all that they are getting all the pregame hype (except for Adrian Peterson).

I was a fan of Randy rubbing his posterior against the Lambeau goal posts. And I'm a proponent of the Vikes showing up today with nothing but anger in their hearts for anyone and everyone who gives the Vikes zero chance to win. Screw the "sports journalists." And forgive the oxymoron.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: I love the pre-game spin

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I agree. I just hope we can prove everyone wrong again!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Good post, Dan (and congrats on the Stanford win—I hope you had a good trip).

I'm only aware of two people in the national media who have picked the Vikes. I heard former Pats LB Tedy Bruschi pick them on ESPN Radio and someone posted here that Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk and NBC picked the Vikings.

What cracks me up is the "reasoning" used to justify a Packers win. I'm hearing a lot of talk about how the Vikings can't score enough to keep up with them (they just did less than a week ago), how the Packers won't let Peterson do what he's done to them in the last two games (somehow, I think they were probably trying to stop him in those games too) and most of all, that this game is at Lambeau and the Packers won't lose because of that magical place. You know, the same magical place where the Packers lost their last two home playoff games... :)

As Bruschi said when I heard him pick the game, playing at home doesn't change who you are. It can definitely be an advantage (as it was for the Vikes last week) but the matchups, strengths and shortcomings of players are all still there.

The QB-crazed national media is almost universally picking the Packers because of Aaron Rodgers and home field advantage but the Vikings are a hot team and they should come into this game brimming with confidence, knowing they can beat this opponent and knowing they are the superior team at the line of scrimmage. I wish they were healthier but even banged up, I think think they have the will and the ability to win this one. Hopefully, they'll get the job done and send the Lambeau crowd home dejected over their third straight home playoff loss.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

The Vikings have proved that they can beat any team in the league. Hell, we've already beat the packers! I don't know why the analysts are predicting a blowout. Sure, they have homefield advantage, but that wont change the score that much. I'm still predicting a loss, but it will be close. Anyway, SKOL VIKES!
ADMVP & CCHOF
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Man, now that Minnesota made the playoffs my expectations for this team have risen. I was having fun watching the season this year because I had such low expectations for the team coming into to the season. Now that they are in the playoffs, I am almost expecting them to win. If they do not, I feel that the rest of the day will not be favorable.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

No matter what its been a great season in the land of the Purple because honestly I thought 8-8 at the very most . The fact that we made the playoffs has me convinced I was way wrong about Frasier and I hope we shock the world tonight in Pac cur land . This team has had some kind of magic going for it and I would be very surprised if the fudgies blow us out . I will say this much if we should happen to win tonight then I would like our chances against Atlanta in their dome !
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Mothman wrote:Good post, Dan (and congrats on the Stanford win—I hope you had a good trip).

I'm only aware of two people in the national media who have picked the Vikes. I heard former Pats LB Tedy Bruschi pick them on ESPN Radio and someone posted here that Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk and NBC picked the Vikings.

What cracks me up is the "reasoning" used to justify a Packers win. I'm hearing a lot of talk about how the Vikings can't score enough to keep up with them (they just did less than a week ago), how the Packers won't let Peterson do what he's done to them in the last two games (somehow, I think they were probably trying to stop him in those games too) and most of all, that this game is at Lambeau and the Packers won't lose because of that magical place. You know, the same magical place where the Packers lost their last two home playoff games... :)

As Bruschi said when I heard him pick the game, playing at home doesn't change who you are. It can definitely be an advantage (as it was for the Vikes last week) but the matchups, strengths and shortcomings of players are all still there.

The QB-crazed national media is almost universally picking the Packers because of Aaron Rodgers and home field advantage but the Vikings are a hot team and they should come into this game brimming with confidence, knowing they can beat this opponent and knowing they are the superior team at the line of scrimmage. I wish they were healthier but even banged up, I think think they have the will and the ability to win this one. Hopefully, they'll get the job done and send the Lambeau crowd home dejected over their third straight home playoff loss.

Woody on PTI picked the Vikes :point:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:Good post, Dan (and congrats on the Stanford win—I hope you had a good trip).

Bruschi also was keying in on Everson Griffen. I have been thinking this all week. I think he if has another stand out game the Vikes will have a great shot at the "upset"!
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

It was awesome, and not just the game. I love the topography in California and I have a lot of good friends in SoCal. As for the team, they are doing great -- but for some reason, they haven't been able to recruit many blue chippers for 2013. I can't imagine why a top academic student who plays football and doesn't despise nice weather would not want to go there. Where else would they go, Cal Tech? They can't even beat Wellesley.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

My X-factor pick ... Jerome Simpson.

Can't tell you why. Obviously he's been a disappointment this season, and he hasn't even scored a TD. But if you think about it, He had the four-game suspension, had a couple of plays and PI calls to start his season, then had the mysterious back/leg injury. He's just never really had a chance to get in sync.

However, over the past 2-3 weeks he seems to be regaining his burst, and something tells me he's going to make a big play today that contributes heavily to a Vikings road upset.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

CbusVikesFan wrote:
It's crazy, but three of our best players are defensive ends -- and yet we can only play two of them at any given time. Hmmm. It's too bad that you rarely can get adequate value when you trade a pro bowler in this league.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

I don't know about anyone else, but I love it when all the talking heads underestimate my team. It makes victory taste that much sweeter. Plus when they're over hyping your team, giving you false hope, and you lose, it's just all the more disappointing.

I'm just wondering if we win, will we be the first #6 seed favored to beat a #1 seed next week? Atlanta just doesn't scare me for some reason. Other than blowing the doors off the Giants a few weeks ago, most of their wins were close.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

[quote="Reignman"]I'm just wondering if we win, will we be the first #6 seed favored to beat a #1 seed next week?

Not a chance... if the Vikings get to that game, they'll be underdogs.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

My view is that most of the journalists correspondence i've read are just lazy.

They go something like this...

Vikings have no hope and will lose because:
1. they are on the road
2. its going to be wee bit chilly
3. Green Bay D will stuff the box to stop A.D
4. Vikings cant keep up with Packers rate of scoring
Every single piece says something like this.

I see it that we are the underdogs, but the points above are not as clear cut as that.
1. Yes being on the road is tough, but if Ponder played anything like, we would have beaten them at Lambeau first time around.
2. Am i not correct in suggesting that the most secure and effective way of moving down the field in adverse weather conditions (rain, cold etc) is running the ball? Therefore we have an advantage there.
3. I hope they do bring everyone, in last weeks game, they dropped the D back more than they came after us. You have to think this is to stop A.D putting together a big run, not respect for the QB and WR's. Let the house come at us i say.
4. This is just nonsense. We've proven in both games against the Packers we can compete.

For me the main factors for us to win are:
1. Ponder starts and has a solid un-spectacular game (no T.O's)
2. A.D runs well but doesn't necessarily need a monster, i cant see there being more than 20points scored by either team (if all personel stay healthy)
3. D-line pressure Rodgers early (this shouldn't be a problem)
4. The most important factor for me and what also worries me the most, is that Smith/Winfield stay healthy for 4 quarters. After pretty much shutting out Rodgers 1st half, the loss of these guys made a massive difference 2nd half. In fact if Smith shrugs off that injury and can run 100%, i reckon he has a monster tonight.

If these things run in our favour, i predict a 20-17 win. Fingers crossed!!!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Reignman wrote:I'm just wondering if we win, will we be the first #6 seed favored to beat a #1 seed next week?

LOL... is that a serious question?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018