Beating the packers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Beating the packers

Post by dkoby »

I'm just curious as to what some of you think we need to do different..... or better,... to beat he Packers next week on their home turf.

Personally I think we are in a "do or die situation" and think we need to blitz at least half of the time. Especially with 8 yard to go or more for the first.

I'm ecstatic that we are where we are, but making it out of GB with a win will take some"outside the box thinking and risk taking with this group of players.

Curious to other's thoughts.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Beating the packers

Post by vikeinmontana »

i loved what we did on offense. ponder played well and AD ran wild like always.

i think we must improve our pass rush for starters. can't give a guy like rodgers that much time. and our secondary can't play as cautios and needs to tackle better. i'm not about to call them scrubs for their 2nd half performance because that's silly. they were facing one of the best qb's in the league and good receivers. i didn't expect them to shut that unit down. but we need to tackle better after the catch because packer receivers WILL catch the ball with that qb throwing to them. and if we get more pressure on him before he can pick us apart i like our chances.
i'm ready for a beer.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

We need John Coffey (the giant dude from The Green Mile) to magically heal Antoine Winfield's hand.

Rodgers went nuts after Winfield left the game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:We need John Coffey (the giant dude from The Green Mile) to magically heal Antoine Winfield's hand.

Probably my favorite movie.

Like the drink, ....only not spelled the same.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

We need to bring more pressure especially on those 3rd n longs. I mean how many times did we get burned with our 3 man rush, dropping 8 into coverage? Rodgers had all day and picked us apart. We could have had 12 men in coverage and it wouldn't have helped. It was ridiculous and I can't believe we kept doing it.

The Seahawks and Giants showed us Rodgers doesn't handle pressure well and their offense often falls apart. It was working for us early on too. We had Rodgers frustrated early, then for some reason we went away from it after the 1st quarter and went with that dreaded prevent zone garbage that never works.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:We need John Coffey (the giant dude from The Green Mile) to magically heal Antoine Winfield's hand.

Hopefully the backups will be more ready next game. Jefferie surprised me ... I feel like he was better in the past. CB needs to be addressed in the draft.

Winfield was missed badly. I'm afriad we can't win going an entire game that way. It is a different sqaud without him. It was like they magically went back to the 2011 defense as soon as he stepped off.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

On another note, couldn't they cast his hand and let him play? really they just need him to be in position and not him need to catch the ball?? They need his leadership ON the fieild
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Reignman wrote:We need to bring more pressure especially on those 3rd n longs. I mean how many times did we get burned with our 3 man rush, dropping 8 into coverage? Rodgers had all day and picked us apart. We could have had 12 men in coverage and it wouldn't have helped. It was ridiculous and I can't believe we kept doing it.

The Seahawks and Giants showed us Rodgers doesn't handle pressure well and their offense often falls apart. It was working for us early on too. We had Rodgers frustrated early, then for some reason we went away from it after the 1st quarter and went with that dreaded prevent zone garbage that never works.
We never rushed three. Not sure where you're getting that. We played nickel almost the entire game, but never rushed three.

There are plenty of reasons not to just blitz, blitz, blitz.

1. Aaron Rodgers is neck-and-neck with Peyton Manning as the most dangerous passer in the NFL against the blitz. You do it at your own peril. Which leads to #2.
2. When Antoine Winfield went down, it left us with Marcus Sherels playing CB. Pretty hard to leave Sherels 1-on-1 against any GB receiver.
3. The Packers weren't THAT good on 3rd down. They were 6-for-13. We got burned in the second half by a very bad play from Sherels on the 73-yard bomb to Nelson, and by poor tackling on the long catch-and-run by Jennings.
4. We got five sacks. Pressure by the front four produced some big plays, including the strip-sack by Robison that led directly to points.

The loss of Winfield hurt in a big way. Rodgers was being held in check until that happened.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: We never rushed three. Not sure where you're getting that. We played nickel almost the entire game, but never rushed three.

There are plenty of reasons not to just blitz, blitz, blitz.

1. Aaron Rodgers is neck-and-neck with Peyton Manning as the most dangerous passer in the NFL against the blitz. You do it at your own peril. Which leads to #2.
2. When Antoine Winfield went down, it left us with Marcus Sherels playing CB. Pretty hard to leave Sherels 1-on-1 against any GB receiver.
3. The Packers weren't THAT good on 3rd down. They were 6-for-13. We got burned in the second half by a very bad play from Sherels on the 73-yard bomb to Nelson, and by poor tackling on the long catch-and-run by Jennings.
4. We got five sacks. Pressure by the front four produced some big plays, including the strip-sack by Robison that led directly to points.

The loss of Winfield hurt in a big way. Rodgers was being held in check until that happened.

Loss of Winfield WAS huge and Sherels in the secondary war brutal. Also 41 had a terrible game tonight. worse than normal. I'm just saying that we need some sort of "edge" or surprise to the Packers to pull out the win next week. Plus we need a totally different surprise in the second half to put it all away. Even if it is showing a totally different front for the second half or playing different personnel.

Ok, totally funny that I never thought we would be here at this point. NOBODY had this team in the playoffs. I would like to think we had the coaching staff to make the packers sweat in the playoffs this year.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dkoby wrote: On another note, couldn't they cast his hand and let him play? really they just need him to be in position and not him need to catch the ball?? They need his leadership ON the fieild
That's what I thoughttoo, but maybe there wasn't enough time to do it today?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Penalties. Vikings, especially LOADHOLT can't give up 15 yard penalties, especially on stupid plays. Those penalties are just killers, although the Vikings survived.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Orion wrote:Penalties. Vikings, especially LOADHOLT can't give up 15 yard penalties, especially on stupid plays. Those penalties are just killers, although the Vikings survived.
Loadholt's False Start was not his fault... Sullivan didn't snap the ball. The 15 yarder was a JOKE of a penalty. I have seen worse than that not get called just about every play.

But I agree, they can't have penalties, for the most patr they did very well today.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Loadholt's False Start was not his fault... Sullivan didn't snap the ball. The 15 yarder was a JOKE of a penalty. I have seen worse than that not get called just about every play.

But I agree, they can't have penalties, for the most patr they did very well today.
True, he definitely wasn't the only one but they also had a unsportsmanlike conduct and roughing the passer all in all more than double the penalties (in yards) than green bay had (43-98)
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Hard to fault anything the offense did. Defense was a different matter...

They need to put more consistent pressure on Rodgers. Yeah, the sacks are great, but you can't give him 3-4 seconds on the plays between sacks.

Better DL play against the run.

Better secondary play. Keep Mistral Raymond off the field.