Post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Post-game thoughts

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Beat the Packers, made the playoffs AND eliminated the Bears.

What a great day!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Beat the Packers, made the playoffs AND eliminated the Bears.

What a great day!
And THAT my friends, says it all!
My favorite sentence I've ever read of yours! Thanks.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

FailedtoOpen wrote:That last run by Peterson was pure determination and it sucks he was so close to getting it.
What I noticed (because it was in Stark contrast to Robert Smith's run near the end of the game in 98 in the NFCCG) is that he probably sacraficed additional yardage to make sure he stayed in bounds and kept the clock running. I don't think he'd have gotten another nine yards, but you never know. Peterson was playing smart to run the clock.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
ranskal
Transition Player

Post by ranskal »

lyzarde wrote:Still would have rather had AP set the record.

This team will just be 1 and done in the playoffs.
Pathetic comment...

Teams don't play the whole season to try and break records. Would it have been awesome for AD to break the record, of course! But who's to say they can't make a run and get to the Super Bowl? Don't forget, AZ made the Sb a few years ago and we seem to be more complete of a team.

Ask Peterson what is more important...
Randy
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

i was expecting the performance we got from AD. the dude is simply not human. never before do i think i've had so much respect for one player. in 50 years my kids are going to be telling their grandkids how lucky they were to watch a running back named adrian peterson. that said...i was impressed with ponder today. he made some great throws. the deep ball to wright was perfect. but of all the plays we made as a team today.....all the accolades peterson deserves...the play that stands out to me the most was ponders perfect ball on 3rd and 11 in the 4th quarter. that was big time. it set up a game winning field goal and it was a testiment to his character. in fact...his last two drives especially were brilliant.

god it's great to be a vike tonight!
i'm ready for a beer.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Purplemania wrote:Just got back from the game! Wow, most awesome experience of my life so far :D A few observations:

1. Adrian Peterson should be MVP. He literally ran around, through, and over defenders all game. Blocking was so inconsistent, but when you think the play is dead Peterson bounces it outside for a 10-15 yard gain. So many Packer defenders had him dead 1 on 1 and Peterson ran through them. Honestly, I really really REALLY wanted AD to get the record because if we go to Lambieu next week and lose...I at least wanted history to acknowledge how good Peterson is. He is MVP of the NFL though no doubt in my mind. His last run to set us up for the game winning field goal.....okay for me, I think it's one of his greatest run ever and one of the best ever. The pressure was there, the Packers knew he was getting the ball, he was supposed to be stopped short of the first down...Peterson WILLED his way and if only he scored! AAahhhhh!!! It's all good though.

2. Ponder played well, but he missed 3 wide open receivers that I counted. Jarius Wright burned the Packs a few time on two deep crossing routes that Ponder missed. I was disapointed because the second miss on Wright was the exact same play :wallbang: Ponder also missed a wide open Rudolph in the endzone I think in the second quarter. Not to be so negative though, Ponder was really accurate today. First two quarter Ponder kept running out of the pocket when there was blocking...but towards the last two quarter Ponder was standing tall, composed, and hitting targets! The past to Jenkins on the final drive...man everyone went nuts! That is a NFL QB throw! Ponder will need to play even better though if we want to beat the Packers next week. Lastly, Ponder NEEDS to work in his play action skills -_- he really sucks at selling it and I don't blame the Packers for not buying.

3. Jarius Wright :D He's a play maker. His route running skills really surprised me. He's much more polished. Can't believe we didn't give him a chance earlier (I was screaming for him from day 1..if anything just for a change at the position). He and Harvin are going to give defenses hell.

4. Defense. Our defense...I'm not sure why and if you guys were able to see it on TV, but we were playing a soft defense that basically allowed the Packers to easily complete 5-7 yard passes...but oddly the our defense still got beat deep many times. Rodgers is a amazing...damn as a Vikings fan, I have to admit Rodgers is just really really good. He didn't miss a single read...and I think he only had 2 bad passes. Defenses was just bad overall. I was screaming my head off when they let the Packers drive down the FG before halftime with no time outs in 30 seconds.
Glad you had a good time dude. Must have been crazy there!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Unsung hero today -- Everson Griffen.

Three sacks and gave the Packers fits.

Another: Brian Robison with the HUGE strip sack.

Stat I Didn't Know Until Five Minutes Ago: Robison and Griffen combined for 16.5 sacks this year -- 8.5 for Robison, and 8.0 for Griffen.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

I absolutely love the victory. The only thing that would have been better is that the loss would have knocked the Packers out of the playoffs.

Ponder played much better than expected and actually made plays to advance the winning formula today. Versus "not blowing" the game with his play.

Simpson made some plays today. Finally. Thank You. Not sure that I want him back but he made a slight case today. Another year might be warranted.

Jenkins still can contribute.

I've never rooted for an individual on a team sport as I did for AD today. 9 yards, I keep thinking, Man, just nine more yards in the season, that's like the difference in the marking of all the spots throughout the year.

It's nothing I can prove, but this team seems to have trouble making SIGNIFICANT adjustments at the half. I think the gameplanning is good to start the game, however, teams that make good adjustments seem to figure us out and we struggle in the last half of most games. It seems we never are able to figure out the opposing team at the half and put the game away for good.

Felton and Ellison are very good roll players.

We need a replacement for Winfield. We may have to get this player on the open market. Any suggestions??

Erin Henderson made one play today. We need to draft a GOOD LB.
OK that's it for now.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Unsung hero today -- Everson Griffen.

Three sacks and gave the Packers fits.

Another: Brian Robison with the HUGE strip sack.

Stat I Didn't Know Until Five Minutes Ago: Robison and Griffen combined for 16.5 sacks this year -- 8.5 for Robison, and 8.0 for Griffen.
Im adding this to my thoughts. LOL sorry Kapp, but you brought those up too.
They need to lock up Griffen for a while and let him blossom. He has shown some serious game.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 59m
Rodgers on Peterson: "You can't help but watch him play and just be really impressed. I think he probably might have won the MVP today."
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 36m
Referee Mike Carey told pool reporter he couldn't tell if he got the buzz or if McCarthy threw the challenge flag first.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Judd Zulgad @1500ESPNJudd 5m
Jerome Simpson took time to call out @TomPelissero today after the game. Tom wasn't there, he called him Tom Presso and said he was d-bag.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Judd Zulgad @1500ESPNJudd 5m
Jerome Simpson took time to call out @TomPelissero today after the game. Tom wasn't there, he called him Tom Presso and said he was d-bag.
Viva la Vikings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Viva la Vikings »

First off, proud of the team. Didnt lose control of the game and played well.

My problem with the defense were the screens GB did constantly to march down the field. Need to bump the WRs better, slow them down.

Offensively, No more of the same play action to Rudolf off the flats. Almost becomes a given whos gettin the ball.

Not to be nit picky but I would definitely like to see adjustments so we can beat GB in Lambeau! Go Vikes! :v):
Meet at the Quarterback. -Purple People Eaters
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Hopefully this game will silence the notion that Ponder "Cant make the throws". He has a lot of improve on, especially in when he needs to hit a receiver in stride, but that Wright deep ball and the sideline Jenkins pass were really something special. If he gets a clean pocket, and doesn't hurry the throw he can make something happen. He has the ability, he just limits himself sometimes with poor mechanics.