Next Season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Next Season

Post by PurpleMustReign »

So... let's think ahead a bit...

Are the Vikings going to be like the Lions, where they have one good season and then completely tank the next season; or, like the Packers, where they have a run of good/great seasons in a row?
I can see arguments for both... I would argue that we have MUCH more talent in key positions than Detroit, but we certainly lack in key areas as well (WR for sure). I would also argue that we have much more talent in key positions than Green Bay (RB, FB, DLine, LB), but again, we have holes when compared to them as well (QB and WR for sure). At this point, I would still take Mike McCarthy over Leslie Frasier, but I would take Leslie Frasier over whomever Detroit's blow hard coach is (I can't think of his name right now and don't really care).
for certain, the future depends on Spielman and his draft success and FA pickups. With that said, it seems like Detroit is always drafting in the top 1/3 of the draft, and with the exception of Calvin Johnson, never seems to get it right.
The other thing that crosses my mind is are the Vikings more "advanced" than most thought, including Spielman and Fraiser? In other words, will they go into "advanced building" mode rather than stay in "rebuilding" mode? I think one thing that needs to be looked at is the contract status of not only Percy but players like Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, John Carlson, etc, who have either slowed down (Allen) or not lived up to the contract (Carlson). Will Spielman do anything about those contracts that will help us sign Percy and other FAs?

What are your thoughts?
And please don't turn this into a cat-fight about Ponder. I am sick of every thread turning into that direction. True, they need to figure out if he is indeed the future, but just about everyone on this board has made their thoughts on Ponder well known. If the thread turns into something like that, I will ask the mods to delete the posts that get off track.

Thanks!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Re: Next Season

Post by S197 »

I recall hearing somewhere that the Vikings were one of the top 5 youngest teams in the NFL so an "advanced building" mode is probably not necessary. There needs to be a nucleus of veterans to build around.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I see a bright future for this team. When a team is in the "rebuild mode" and is contending for a play-off berth at the same time, then to me anyway, that speaks positive volumes about the direction the team is headed. :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:So... let's think ahead a bit...

Are the Vikings going to be like the Lions, where they have one good season and then completely tank the next season; or, like the Packers, where they have a run of good/great seasons in a row?
I hope they have a run of good/great seasons, culminating in a Super Bowl win. I'll be very surprised if they tank next season. I think it would take some seriously bad luck for that to happen. I think it's possible that they could take a small step back in the W/L column before taking another step forward because improvement isn't always linear but I think we'll continue to see a young, highly competitive team moving in the right direction.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

I think that with either a heavy investment in receivers (2 draft picks and an FA or 1 draft pick and mutiple FAs) OR a successful reroll on QB we will see vast improvement. Linebacker seems to be another weakness, I would like to see them pick up a lineman that looks more at home covering receivers than the more pure tacklers we seem to go with. Apart from those, I am pretty happy with our team make up. Hoping the Oline gets even better at run blocking in the next couple of seasons.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

I think the Vikings will continue to improve and do better and be the second best team in the nfc north. The lions will probably be at least a bit better and I have a feeling the Bears are going to regress, especially with Urlacher getting old.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleJarl wrote:I think that with either a heavy investment in receivers (2 draft picks and an FA or 1 draft pick and mutiple FAs) OR a successful reroll on QB we will see vast improvement. Linebacker seems to be another weakness, I would like to see them pick up a lineman that looks more at home covering receivers than the more pure tacklers we seem to go with. Apart from those, I am pretty happy with our team make up. Hoping the Oline gets even better at run blocking in the next couple of seasons.

Do you really think that they will pickup a "lineman" that will be good at covering receivers :?:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Vikings will continue improving because Leslie Frazier has a clue.

The Lions will continue to regress because Jim Schwartz does not.

Detroit isn't losing because of lack of talent. They're losing because they're the most penalized team in the NFL. They're losing because they blow every close game due to lack of team discipline. It's not just mistakes and penalties, it's mistakes and penalties at crucial times. It's doing stupid things, then making excuses and acting like the league is out to get them. That won't change unless there's a change at the top, at least at the head coach level and maybe higher.

Leslie Frazier is professional and disciplined, and he is molding his team into the same thing.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Leslie Frazier is professional and disciplined, and he is molding his team into the same thing.
And putting the players that don't fit that mold onto IR so they don't continue to rot the team from the inside. :twisted:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Demi wrote: And putting the players that don't fit that mold onto IR so they don't continue to rot the team from the inside. :twisted:
Maybe.

The team is 4-2 without Percy Harvin. Results matter.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

If I wasn't the driver, I was definitely riding shotgun on the Fire Frazier train. But what can I say, he deserves at least another year, as does Musgrave. Not saying he's the long term answer, but he's put up results this year on the field and in the locker room lead by veteran players. They bought in to his message.
As for QB, Ponder is a huge "?", but can't be ruled out. I feel we need to bring in a QB who has had some success in the league, (Alex Smith, i.e.), to give Ponder some competition.

I'm excited about our defense, specifically Harrison Smith.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Orion wrote:I think the Vikings will continue to improve and do better and be the second best team in the nfc north. The lions will probably be at least a bit better and I have a feeling the Bears are going to regress, especially with Urlacher getting old.
Yea, I think the bears are gonna blow things up barring a playoff run, starting with Lovie Smith.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

heck, Frazier might get Coach of the Year if the Vikings make the playoffs. He'll certainly be in the conversation.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

I think we are a top 15 quarterback and a top 15 wide receiver away from being a 11+ win team year in and year out for the rest of Adrian's career (hopefully 3-4 years). Maybe that's stupid of me, but that's how I view us.

Basically, it's going to come down to whether or not Spielman can finally figure out how to draft/acquire a good quarterback (he's screwed up twice, in my opinion) as well as one or more good receivers. I like Spielman's drafts minus the QB position.

The secondary is infinitely better than it was last year, and pretty young if I'm not mistaken (minus Winfield; love that guy). And with each passing draft I trust we'll add quality depth to the already impressive front 7.

IF we can fill these offensive holes with adequate players within the next year (or two), we could be a consistent winner and MAYBE a legit Super Bowl contender. If not, I see us as a rich man's version of the Lions you mentioned. Win for one season, then turn around and go back to the lovable losers we always were.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

admvp wrote:I think we are a top 15 quarterback and a top 15 wide receiver away from being a 11+ win team year in and year out for the rest of Adrian's career (hopefully 3-4 years). Maybe that's stupid of me, but that's how I view us.

Basically, it's going to come down to whether or not Spielman can finally figure out how to draft/acquire a good quarterback (he's screwed up twice, in my opinion) as well as one or more good receivers. I like Spielman's drafts minus the QB position.
I think you've just about nailed it. I don't know about "top 15 quarterback". That's not reaching very high. I think they'll need to do better than that to be in serious Super Bowl contention. But, hey - who am I to say - maybe they can use a 2500 yard running back and a bottom 5 quarterback to get there. Stranger things have happened in the NFL.
Last edited by Eli on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.