37 Years Ago Today!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tark10
Starter

37 Years Ago Today!

Post by Tark10 »

For all of us SENIOR Viking fans.....The Vikings hosted the Dallas Cowboys in a divisional playoff game at Metropolitan Stadium on Dec. 28th 1975. It was an unspectacular low scoring game with our Vikes nursing a 4 point lead late in the 4th quarter. With a little over a minute left Staubach hit Drew Pearson for the game winner..17-14. ONE HORRIBLE DEFEAT.. It was the HAIL MARY game. To this day I'll never uinderstand why the 2 wideouts weren't doubled up. Pearson and Golden Richards. Krause was responsible for both of them. Staubach looked at Richards (covered by Bobby Bryant) to pull Krause to Richards then heaved one to Pearson (covered by Nate Wright). Tarkenton's father passed away watching the game in the 3rd quarter. He found out watching the post game show with Brent Musberger. It was a dark day.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 37 Years Ago Today!

Post by Mothman »

It was a very dark day. I remember feeling just crushed after that loss.

Thanks for bringing it up. ;)

Hopefully, on Sunday, we'll see a Vikes performance that ends on a much more positive note for us Vikings fans!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

What killed me on that drive was the earlier play where the Cowboys converted something like a 4th-and-17. That should never have happened, either.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I bet Mike (Kansas Viking) has something to say about this :)

HE'd say something like... oh...

PEARSON PUSHED OFF!!!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

So, you wanted to remind us of one of the most painful memories we have as Vikings fans? Gee, thanks...

Oh, and...

PEARSON PUSHED OFF!!!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

http://www.drewpearsonshow.com/About-Th ... n-Show.htm
Scroll down if you want to get sick argh :steamed: :wallbang:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Purple bruise wrote:http://www.drewpearsonshow.com/About-Th ... n-Show.htm
That game was before my time and in fact that's the first time I've seen the entire ending. I didn't know about the 4th and 17, which looked more controversial than the hail mary IMO. So that makes 2 times we've been screwed out of the playoffs by the dreaded push out rule. It's nice they finally got rid of that stupid rule, but just a few decades too late huh NFL?

I think I'm more mad about the 19 yard sack on our first play after the hail mary than the hail mary itself or the 4th n 17 lol. I mean WTF Tark? You gotta get rid of the ball there. Then someone clocks the ref with a bottle or snowball. Were we like Eagle fans back then?

I didn't know about Tarks dad dying during the game until now either. That's crazy bananas. Must have been too stressful for him. The game is a painful reminder to all Viking fans, but imagine how Tark feels about it.

But if you guys need a pick-me-up now, go watch the end of the 1980 Browns game. Hook n lateral then hail mary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1z2AdVER-k
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

I don't seem to recall this game. :wink:
Mike

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

One of the worst calls ever (the sideline phantom force-out) followed by one of the worst non-calls ever (Pearson pushing off so obviously, it was visible from earth orbit). :wallbang:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Tark10
Starter

Post by Tark10 »

Whether Pearson pushed off or not really doesn't matter. The previous play was to Pearson as well. Grant should have had two guys on Pearson. He was by far their best player. This was also John Gilliam's last game as a Viking. Dallas held him to 1 catch for 15 yards. Fran's autobiography from 1975 Chapter 1 was titled "December 28th, 1975. Certain dates in my life I simply can't forget. This is one of them. Let's hope tmo brings good news for us. My other team for 42 yrs has been the Giants. If the Vikes play defense the way the Giants did against the Peckers this year, they stand a good chance. If they rush 4 and drop everybody in to coverage, Rogers will pick them apart. I think it is a good idea to remember 1975. I had a great deal of respect for the Viking players in those days. Some of them have passed away and it's a shame they couldn't see their old team win a super bowl just once. In any case I would like to wish all Viking fans a Happy New Year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Kansas Viking wrote:I don't seem to recall this game. :wink:
Lol :fam:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

we got robbed that day. I remember watching that game like it was yesterday.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple bruise wrote:http://www.drewpearsonshow.com/About-Th ... n-Show.htm

You're right. It's sickening. :puke:
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Fortunately, this game is just before my time. I have vague memories of the 1976 Super Bowl loss, none of the Pearson pushed game.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Ugh!!! My first post is about the second most hated team on my list, anyways. That play is the singlemost reason I cannot stand the Cowboys and all of their fans.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter