Williams dials up right numbers for Vikings defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Williams dials up right numbers for Vikings defense

Post by Mothman »

Here's a link to a good article about Alan Williams and the Vikings improved defense:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... ml?refer=y
The Vikings defense has improved in nearly every statistical category -- dramatically in some cases -- and ranks second behind Adrian Peterson on the list of reasons outlining why this team could secure a playoff berth Sunday in a supposed rebuilding season.

Their defense certainly isn't perfect, and it doesn't rank among the NFL's elite. But it's vastly improved, occasionally opportunistic and, judging by last week's stout performance at Houston, it's capable of carrying the offense on days when Peterson appears human.

"We're playing good ball right now," Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen said.
sdranger
Rookie

Re: Williams dials up right numbers for Vikings defense

Post by sdranger »

I don't want to hex the Vikings but it is starting to smell like the Giants of last year. Stats at this point in the season don't mean much if you're in the playoff chase. What have you done for me lately matters most.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

sdranger wrote:I don't want to hex the Vikings but it is starting to smell like the Giants of last year. Stats at this point in the season don't mean much if you're in the playoff chase. What have you done for me lately matters most.
I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we had Eli Manning and Victor Cruz playing for us.

The defense is playing well enough right now for a playoff run. The offense has been better, but competent won't cut it in the playoffs. I could see the Vikes getting into the playoffs by beating GB this weekend, and I could see them winning a playoff game. But a deep run? I love this team, but I'm skeptical.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:The defense is playing well enough right now for a playoff run. The offense has been better, but competent won't cut it in the playoffs. I could see the Vikes getting into the playoffs by beating GB this weekend, and I could see them winning a playoff game. But a deep run? I love this team, but I'm skeptical.

I'm skeptical as well. I like where the Vikings are headed right now but I don't think they've arrived at their destination yet. This team has really surprised me. Still, I think it needs another draft and free agency or two in order to be the team that Frazier likely wants. In my view, it's still a rebuilding year.

I'm including the defense in this. Williams is doing a fine job. Yet he'd probably like to upgrade several positions among the D's roster.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

If the Vikings manage to beat the Packers this Sunday, then next Sunday they play them again outside in Lambeau. That's as deep as they get in the playoffs.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote:If the Vikings manage to beat the Packers this Sunday, then next Sunday they play them again outside in Lambeau. That's as deep as they get in the playoffs.
So as far as you are concerned does winning on Sunday mean very much to you or does the fact that you predict a loss the next week off-set that?
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we had Eli Manning and Victor Cruz playing for us.

The defense is playing well enough right now for a playoff run. The offense has been better, but competent won't cut it in the playoffs. I could see the Vikes getting into the playoffs by beating GB this weekend, and I could see them winning a playoff game. But a deep run? I love this team, but I'm skeptical.

Can you just imagine the irony if this team some how got "hot" and sailed through the play-offs and made it to the SB and I DARE say won it. :v):
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote: So as far as you are concerned does winning on Sunday mean very much to you or does the fact that you predict a loss the next week off-set that?
Don't know what that means.

I'd love to see the Vikings win against the Packers on Sunday. And then beat them again the following weak. How awesome would that be?

I just think the chances of that happening are extremely slim. If all goes right, the Vikings could win at home. They certainly have the ability, but I don't think they have the experience to do it. Winning the following weak, though, is a different story. I just can't see it.