The Story of 2012

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

The Story of 2012

Post by CalVike »

With Frazier's repeated comments in post game pressers about losses needing only minor corrections, I decided to take a look at how the team looked across the board on offense with a focus on passing game. The source is http://www.pro-football-reference.com for the data.

There is a certain consistency to the formula for victories. We could be better but it is a happy time to be winning on running, short passing, defense, and minimizing turnovers. A case can be made that Ponder's upside is no better than Tim Tebow looking at the numbers, but it's fun to be a winner again. The QB debate can resume after our playoff run.

Go Vikes!

Dave

Edit: I do not know the cutoff for short versus deep passes on Pro Football Reference so I am trying to clarify with them.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Re: The Story of 2012

Post by thatguy »

Agreed. Some people don't seem to understand that just because we can't stretch the field doesn't mean we didn't have a very good short route passing game. When you have Harvin running your routes, you've always got a shot to take a 4-yard slant to the house. I know we (myself included) would like to have a guy that can stretch the field, but if it works and wins games, keep doing it. We don't have the flashiest or most explosive offense (especially w/ Harvin gone), but we can win games, and I can only see us getting better with more talent in the WR corps. moving forward. Anyone who says that the lack of explosive talent in the WRs isn't at least CONTRIBUTING to the issues in the passing game has to be watching a different game than me.

We'll see what happens in the future, but right now, we're in the thick of the race, we have a shot at the playoffs after a miserable 3-13 season, and our QB is Christian Ponder this season whether you like it or not - enjoy it! This is gonna be fun!
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

thatguy wrote:Agreed. Some people don't seem to understand that just because we can't stretch the field doesn't mean we didn't have a very good short route passing game.
The Vikings did not have a "very good" short passing game in 2012. The short passing game was essentially all they could muster when they could muster anything at all in the air. Many of those short completions were to outlet receivers, so even if you add up the yardage, you have to realize that much of it wasn't so much from a designed attack as it was desperation.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Eli wrote: The Vikings did not have a "very good" short passing game in 2012. The short passing game was essentially all they could muster when they could muster anything at all in the air. Many of those short completions were to outlet receivers, so even if you add up the yardage, you have to realize that much of it wasn't so much from a designed attack as it was desperation.
Not to mention that MANY of those short passing yards were gained in 3rd and loooooong situations. Its a deceptive stat that does not fairly evaluate the overall passing game which by NFL standards was pathetic.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Hard to believe we can go much farther with this albatross, but we have won 3 in a row after losing to Bears & Packers on road. RT @ESPNStatsInfo: #Vikings QB Christian Ponder is 1-for-23 on throws of 15+ yards downfield in his last 6 games
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

CalVike wrote:Hard to believe we can go much farther with this albatross, but we have won 3 in a row after losing to Bears & Packers on road. RT @ESPNStatsInfo: #Vikings QB Christian Ponder is 1-for-23 on throws of 15+ yards downfield in his last 6 games
How many of those were intercepted I wonder?
ADMVP & CCHOF
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

CalVike wrote:Hard to believe we can go much farther with this albatross, but we have won 3 in a row after losing to Bears & Packers on road. RT @ESPNStatsInfo: #Vikings QB Christian Ponder is 1-for-23 on throws of 15+ yards downfield in his last 6 games
Them there stats be hyperbole! :rofl:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: The Vikings did not have a "very good" short passing game in 2012. The short passing game was essentially all they could muster when they could muster anything at all in the air. Many of those short completions were to outlet receivers, so even if you add up the yardage, you have to realize that much of it wasn't so much from a designed attack as it was desperation.
Most of it has been by design. Harvin was at or near the top of the league in receiving yardage while he was healthy and the majority of his receptions were short passes. Heck, they're still "manufacturing" (as Pelissero would put it) completions to Wright, Rudolph and Jenkins using designed short passing plays. Whether the short passing game was "all they could muster" is irrelevant in terms of it's effectiveness and overall, it has been effective. With Harvin it was very effective.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Mothman wrote: it has been effective. With Harvin it was very effective.
Minnesota is dead last in the league for net passing yards. It's a bit of a stretch to call that effective.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... ssingYards
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Crax wrote: Minnesota is dead last in the league for net passing yards. It's a bit of a stretch to call that effective.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... ssingYards
That would be a stretch but I didn't call the passing game as a whole effective. I called the short passing game effective and I emphasized that it was much more effective when Harvin was playing. If you look at Harvin's production, I think that's all-but-impossible to deny.

It's pretty obvious that the Vikings are able to throw and execute short passes well, by design or otherwise. They've done it well all season. Just because people are down on Ponder and/or the WR corps, that shouldn't mean we can't acknowledge what the team does effectively in the passing game.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

Our passing game is a complete joke. Sure, we can win a game here and there if Check Down does not throw any interceptions and AD and our defense take over. The bottom line is this team will never make it deep in the playoffs or make a superbowl run with check down at the helms. You can take that to the bank.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Not trying to be snarky, but why would you say it isn't effective?

It seems that some are saying it isn't effective because we have so few completions over 15 yards. OK. But, do they need such completions to be a winning team in the NFL? Not to be a jerk, but if everyone is right about how critical the downfield passing game is, then why are we 9-6?

Ponder isn't going to win any games on his own. I get that. But we just beat a Houston team by winning the time of possession game and the turnover differential. This on top of only 85 yards from AP. So we didn't have 300 yards of passing? Does anyone think we did not just dominate the Texans with our crap passing attack playing a more major roll?

Point being: More ways to win football games than the deep ball. I think we are way too focused on the lack of a deep passing game and losing sight of all the other, non-sexy stuff this team does to win games. They are 9-6 for a reason.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Not trying to be snarky, but why would you say it isn't effective?

It seems that some are saying it isn't effective because we have so few completions over 15 yards. OK. But, do they need such completions to be a winning team in the NFL? Not to be a jerk, but if everyone is right about how critical the downfield passing game is, then why are we 9-6?

Ponder isn't going to win any games on his own. I get that. But we just beat a Houston team by winning the time of possession game and the turnover differential. This on top of only 85 yards from AP. So we didn't have 300 yards of passing? Does anyone think we did not just dominate the Texans with our crap passing attack playing a more major roll?

Point being: More ways to win football games than the deep ball. I think we are way too focused on the lack of a deep passing game and losing sight of all the other, non-sexy stuff this team does to win games. They are 9-6 for a reason.
Well said. I think in the era of Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc. there's this idea that a team has to be able to throw the ball like the Pats, Colts, Saints, and Packers to win and that's not true. I don't think anyone would argue that the Vikings don't need a better passing game or a more versatile passing game but that doesn't mean everything about their passing game is ineffective. In football, it's moving the ball and scoring that's important, not how a team moves the ball and scores.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

mansquatch wrote:Not trying to be snarky, but why would you say it isn't effective?
If you're dead last at something, doesn't that make it not effective? If you are the very worst, I'd say you are the least effective in the league. That doesn't mean it never works, but that it works less.
The Texans game was just one game. Our defense was incredible that game. If our defense is always that good, then our passing game won't matter that much, but I don't know if you can count on that. That was the lowest points in a game all season for the texans. I'd hope we win every game that we hold the other team to just 6 points.
True. We have far and away the best running back in the NFL and our defense has been better.

I understand that there are good and bad things. I consider our passing game one of the bad things. If all you care about is a winning record, than there is lots of different ways to accomplish that. I just don't feel that you can win a SB in this day and age with such a mediocre passing game. 9-6(hopefully soon to be 10-6) is more than I was hoping for this season. I don't have a problem with looking for ways to improve though.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

Mothman wrote: Well said. I think in the era of Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc. there's this idea that a team has to be able to throw the ball like the Pats, Colts, Saints, and Packers to win and that's not true. I don't think anyone would argue that the Vikings don't need a better passing game or a more versatile passing game but that doesn't mean everything about their passing game is ineffective. In football, it's moving the ball and scoring that's important, not how a team moves the ball and scores.
The funny thing is you DO need a QB like those you mentioned to WIN a superbowl. Any team can win a game here and there with a mediocre QB. But you ain't gonna win the big one. Those days are gone. Our front office has failed miserably over the years in recruiting a real QB for the future.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.