Offseason to give best chance at Super Bowl run next year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Delaqure
Franchise Player

Re: Offseason to give best chance at Super Bowl run next yea

Post by Delaqure »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:A few flaws, i'll just point out 1. This coaching staff and Spielman do not know QB or WR talent. Wright is the exception. but even I wanted him, esp. if we got him in the 4th.
I'm not so sure about the WR talent. Our current group is poor, but he (Spielman} was involved in Rice, Harvin and Wright and don't forget that Childs looked good until his injury. I'm not saying he's great at picking the WR, I'm just saying I don't think he is as bad as you make out. A lot of our current group were picked out as fill ins and #2's.

QB is another point all together. At present he does not seem to know much about QB talent. Not sure how much he had a say in the Jackson decision, but he was definatley involved with Ponder. So, you may be right there. We can only hope he has learned something from those two choices.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Demi wrote:Without a change at QB run there will never be a super bowl run!

Vick or Smith or Rivers or etc!!! A guy with proven starting experience!
What exactly about Vick or Rivers gives you confidence? Smith, yes, I agree with you there, but even then, you're getting another QB that can't stretch the field as much as you'd like. He's a good QB, but he's not an explosive quarterback by any means.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote:Will there be any WR worth picking that late in the 1st
If there is it will probably be Cordarrelle Patterson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzag6BTqS0

I would take this guy in a heartbeat at WR.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Subject: Offseason to give best chance at Super Bowl run next year
thatguy wrote: What exactly about Vick or Rivers gives you confidence? Smith, yes, I agree with you there, but even then, you're getting another QB that can't stretch the field as much as you'd like. He's a good QB, but he's not an explosive quarterback by any means.
They've started dozens of games in the NFL. They've had their share of ups and downs. They've gone through personnel changes left and right. They can both make plays when necessary. And have done it for more than just a game, or part of a season. And IMO they've both contributed more to their teams wins than they contributed negatively to their losses. But mainly it's compared to what else is available. This team can clearly be competitive, and it'd be even more so given a proven quarterback who can do more than just throw 3 yard slants or hit uncovered tight ends in the flats.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think they'll add WR talent one way or another, but I doubt it will be a big dollar WR signing. Unless something bad happens, the big $$ WR signing will be Percy Harvin. Would not be too suprised to see them bank on Greg Childs coming back if his recovery is on track. I also theorize they'll bring Simpson back on the cheap. Depends on BPA and how the internal eval of Simpson comes up. Reality is if you add Childs and Harvin (off IR) to the mix, plus Simpson and Wright that is 4 WR. They are going to carry at most 6. Who gets last two spots? Maybe a draft pick, maybe a 2nd tier FA signing?

I would not be at all suprised to see DL and maybe LB get addressed early in the draft. End of the day, this team is winning because of the ability of the Defense to get the job done. More playmaking would pay off big here. My guess is we'll see DL go in the 1st round given the depth at that position in this draft, but BPA can go any direction. Wouldn't be suprised to see LB get some attention and also Secondary. The Vikings of all teams know you can't have enough CB in this league.

Suspect OL will get some mid round love unless a total stud is available via BPA.

I'm not sure what they will do at QB. I'm becoming more and more convinced they value game management over everything else at the position and thus if Ponder shows enough they might stick with him. (I'm think it is highly likely he'll start next year) I know it isn't what everyone wants, but I think this coaching staff wants to take the road less traveled when it comes to passing. They've shown that when Ponder doens't make costly errors the rest of the team can clobber an opppnent, so it isn't like they are totally trailblazing on this idea.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Pepper2Moss »

1. Sign a veteran QB to both push Ponder & replace him if he doesn't get his act together.
2. Give Percy a new deal, sign or draft a downfield threat, sign or draft a 2nd downfield threat.
3. Draft some new blood at LB & G.
4. Find a new NT to pair with KWill.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Demi wrote:Will there be any WR worth picking that late in the 1st
i would imagine any WR left by our turn to pick woould be better than we have now
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

w_huisman wrote: 2, 3, and 4 are GTG.
5 must be a joke.
1 proves you're a Viking hater in purple clothes. :rofl:

Please..... NO QBs from USC!
It was an applause, in the form of a joke, lamenting how awesome Walsh has been.
This space available for rent.