theoretical question about next year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

johnpf12345
Starter

theoretical question about next year

Post by johnpf12345 »

Moved out of state (AZ) so havent posted for a long time and am stuck watching games on the net (for anyone that would like to do the same, here is a link with directions, cant believe how easy it is http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9122/how_t ... _for_free/ ) And its certainly nice out here for those games having 50 meg internet speed over the 1.5 I had in Red Wing, LOL.

Anyway, pumped about this season after last years three win debacle. Please please please beat the Pack.

So my question, would it be worth it, say, trading next years first, third, and fourth round picks for Larry Fitzgerald (or do you think AZ would demand more? I suppose that wouldnt be nearly enough especially if we make the playoffs and have picks around #20)?

Just thinking with the state of disarray they (Cardinals) are in they could use picks to rebuild (San Fran and Seattle in their division) as I dont see them going anywhere for a couple of years at the least, particularly with no QB. You'd have to think it'd be awful nice for them having two firsts, one second, two thirds, two fourths, etc.

We need that stud receiver so badly and with second round pick and free agency could look at CB, lesser WR's, DT, OL, possibly Safety to go with stud Harrison, etc. What a sixth round steal Blair Walsh was huh? VERY nice draft last year.

As I stated, just a hypothetical as I am unsure what kind of WR's are available this year in free agancy and draft WR's, especially in the second tier of the round, are hit or miss at best. Thanks, would be nice to bring that boy (LF) back to MN. (sorry this post was kind of all over the place)
johnpf12345
Starter

Re: theoretical question about next year

Post by johnpf12345 »

the end of that link should be how_to_watch_nfl_games_for_free/
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

A 1st and 4th wouldnt be enough. We would have to give Arizona an offer they couldnt refuse. It would be pretty hard to pull off
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Maybe if Fitz wasn't under huge long term deal
Or if he was more vocal or sounded upset at all
Or Percy would accept an extension and actually want to go there maybe he'd help get a deal done

Can't see it happening though. :(
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I would rather spend the 1st, 3rd, and 4th moving up to get the best WR in the draft or using the picks on WRs.

I like Fitz a lot too, but he is 30 next year ... I just don't think giving up that many picks for a 30 year old player fits with what the Vikings are trying to do.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

For some slightly more realistic speculation, Dwayne Bowe and Greg Jennings will likely both hit free agency. Neither of them are as talented as Fitzgerald but they're pretty damn good. I would prefer Bowe because he's younger and bigger, but Jennings would also be a good signing (and probably the more likely of the two).

I don't think Fitz cares too much about playing for the Vikings. If that was in his plans at all, then he wouldn't have signed an extension last year to keep him in Arizona through 2018. The reality of the situation is that no matter how warm and fuzzy it may be to think of Fitz in a Vikings jersey, it will never happen. The hope that he'll come play here because he's a local guy is crushed under the fact that he's a big name elite WR talent who commands big $$$ and the Vikings don't have a history of pursuing guys like that.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Cliff wrote:I would rather spend the 1st, 3rd, and 4th moving up to get the best WR in the draft or using the picks on WRs.

I like Fitz a lot too, but he is 30 next year ... I just don't think giving up that many picks for a 30 year old player fits with what the Vikings are trying to do.
Agreed, I don't get the fascination, in trading valuable picks / and or Percy, for a guy, ready to exit his elite prime years. That isn't a winning formula, youth wins in the NFL.
This space available for rent.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

HornedMessiah wrote:For some slightly more realistic speculation, Dwayne Bowe and Greg Jennings will likely both hit free agency. Neither of them are as talented as Fitzgerald but they're pretty damn good. I would prefer Bowe because he's younger and bigger, but Jennings would also be a good signing (and probably the more likely of the two).

I don't think Fitz cares too much about playing for the Vikings. If that was in his plans at all, then he wouldn't have signed an extension last year to keep him in Arizona through 2018. The reality of the situation is that no matter how warm and fuzzy it may be to think of Fitz in a Vikings jersey, it will never happen. The hope that he'll come play here because he's a local guy is crushed under the fact that he's a big name elite WR talent who commands big $$$ and the Vikings don't have a history of pursuing guys like that.
I think it's a pretty good bet, Jennings is in purple next season. I just hope Percy is too, or your really not gaining a lot.
This space available for rent.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleHalo wrote: Agreed, I don't get the fascination, in trading valuable picks / and or Percy, for a guy, ready to exit his elite prime years. That isn't a winning formula, youth wins in the NFL.
And I don't get the fascination with ignoring a proven talent to roll the dice on guys that are a complete crap shoot. For every guy that a team hits on, there's a half dozen they don't. For every Kalil, Harvin, AD, there's a Udeze, Williamson, James.

If we can *guarantee* a starting player top 10 at his position for a few picks? I'll take that over a WR in the draft any day. He's 30, but he's not a guy who relies on his speed to get the job done. He'll produce well into his 30s. No chance of off the field or attitude issues. Almost guaranteed a 1000 yard season with even half way competent QB play.

Bring him home!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:And I don't get the fascination with ignoring a proven talent to roll the dice on guys that are a complete crap shoot.
Last January you advocated the idea that the Vikes should trade Jared Allen if they could get two first round picks in return. You were in favor of trading a proven talent to "roll the dice on guys that are a complete crap shoot" then so I suspect you can understand the "fascination" with retaining and using draft picks. :)
If we can *guarantee* a starting player top 10 at his position for a few picks? I'll take that over a WR in the draft any day. He's 30, but he's not a guy who relies on his speed to get the job done. He'll produce well into his 30s. No chance of off the field or attitude issues. Almost guaranteed a 1000 yard season with even half way competent QB play.

Bring him home!
It would definitely be nice to have him on the team but the price would probably be too steep. Just to put it in perspective, here are the players the Vikings selected with the proposed price (1st, 3rd and 4th round picks) in 2012:

1: Matt Kalil or Harrison Smith
3: Josh Robinson
4: Jarius Wright

Other than 2012, the most recent draft in which the Vikings actually had that combination of picks (1,3,4) is 2007. That year they chose:

1: Adrian Peterson
3: Marcus McCauley
4: Brian Robison

Those are the only two drafts since Spielman arrived in which the Vikes had that combination of picks. Would anybody trade Kalil (or Smith), Robinson and Wright for the soon-to-be-30 Larry Fitzgerald? Do I even need to ask if anybody would trade Peterson and Robison for Fitzgerald?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

People have been wanting Fitz, well, since he made it to the NFL. Once we get a QB things may change. But with contrant rotation of junk/old QBs, not alot of good FA WRs will come here without big bucks. Really big bucks. Hopefully we can hit the draft with someone like Hunter. A big storng tall fighting WR. No more little guys please.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Unfortunately, if the Vikings actually get into the playoffs and then maybe even win a playoff game or two, trading for "that missing piece" may begin to look attractive to the powers that be. Zygi, Spielman and Co. have certainly swung that way in the past. I think it would be a colossal mistake to abandon the draft by trading away picks and switching from re-building mode too soon.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Eli wrote:...trading for "that missing piece" may begin to look attractive to the powers that be. Zygi, Spielman and Co. have certainly swung that way in the past.
I was thinking about that too...but I don't think it's going to happen this time. The triangle of authority is dead and Spielman is now the man with the plan and that plan is all about building through the draft. In a short KFAN radio interview shortly after he was officially named GM, I think I remember him mentioning the Steelers and Packers as franchises he admires as far as how they run their organizations: build through the draft & make non-splashy FA signings. With how productive this past draft was, Spielman has a great start down that path and it would be a little alarming if he decided to drop that philosophy after one season of unexpected success (overachieving). I want a GM who sticks to his guns and has a clear vision, not some flaky guy who goes whatever direction the wind is blowing.

But since this thread is about speculating what it would take to pry Fitzgerald away from Arizona....think they would do it for Harvin, Gerhart, Webb, and a 3rd/4th round pick? Not enough?
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

808vikingsfan wrote:Missing piece? I thought the Vikings are in rebuilding mode? :wink:
It's nice to have all of a sudden shored up your special teams, defense and running game, isn't it?

I still think we have a few holes to fill -- QB, OL and WR immediately come to mind. I say "OL" but I'm really thinking about guard play and right tackle, and even the guys at those positions seem to be better lately. (I don't know how much you can judge a guy when he's lined up against JJ Watt.)

I won't belabor the QB problems -- that's been well chronicled. But what do we do with WR? We have this guy on the roster named Percy Harvin, and I can't figure out if he's salvagable or not. You build championship teams with stars who actually want to play for your team, not with malcontents, but I'm not sure if Percy truly falls into the latter category. Anyway, regardless of what I think, figuring out that situation is job 1. And getting a starting caliber WR (as opposed to a slot receiver) is the other huge priority. Simpson and Jenkins are back-ups. We need to get a stud at that position. But that's not to say I'd overpay for Fitzgerald. It sounds like he will be uber expensive, and I'll take my chances through the draft and with a free agent WR who is worse than him and better than Simpson/Jenkins.