I'm Feeling Conflicted

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I'm Feeling Conflicted

Post by DanAS »

So what is the goal here, for the Vikes to make the playoffs or for AD to set the single season rushing record? What, you don't think they're inconsistent? Think again.

During the last game, AD was given the last drive off. And that was understandable; if the Vikes' goal was simply to make the playoffs, there was every reason to remove him from the game and let him rest up for Houston. The outcome seemed to be salted away -- in just a small fraction of the 4th quarter, the Rams would have had to score two TDs, which would have required recovering an on-sides kick in the process. Possible, but not likely (not with their O and our D). So why play AD?

Why do you think! I was pissed that he wasn't given the ball. I realized how tough Houston can be and how 294 yards in two games wouldn't be easy even against lesser defenses. I wanted AD to grab every yard he could against the Rams, so as to make that record more attainable. But the Vikes did the right thing, if their objective was exclusively to make the playoffs.

Normally, I'm the kind of fan that says that a team should never let the pursuit of individual records get in the way of team success. But somehow, this situation feels different. What AD is doing, the very first year after a late-season ACL/MCL tear, is freakish. Everyone in the league is noticing his incredible accomplishments. And yet, without the record, this will be just another in a series of Vikings "near misses."

I won't lie -- I really, really, really want to see him break that mark. And yes, if I am being brutally honest, that would feel more meaningful to me than for the team to eke out a playoff position in a year when we almost certainly wouldn't do much in the post-season if we were lucky to get there. There, I said it. Not politically correct, but honest.

Intellectually, I am glad that the Vikes are thinking about team objectives over individual records. Intellectually, I applaud the decision against the Rams to sit our stud and rest him for the next two games. But emotionally, I want to see the team do whatever is possible to get him that record. That still might not be attainable -- some weeks, you just can't run the ball well. And even I don't want to see AD get a zillion carries and break down like an old horse. But hopefully, he can run somewhat successfully, both today and against the jerkoffs from Wisconsin. Hopefully, AD can attain a feat that nobody would have thought was possible the season after such a tough injury. I'll bet you this -- barring a rash of fumbles, if he does set that record, he's getting the MVP, playoffs or not.

And by the way, speaking of beating a team from Wisconsin, I'm heading out to see my Cardinal kick some Badger butt in the Rose Bowl. Wish me luck!
Dark
Transition Player

Re: I'm Feeling Conflicted

Post by Dark »

First of all, even if AD breaks the record, I still don't think we will make the playoffs, the texans and packers are just too good. I think I would like to see AD break the record more than us to make the playoffs. The record stays for many many seasons, whereas we make the playoffs one year, probably don't make it past the first couple rounds, and we're lost in the long pages of the history books. AD is clearly one of the best running backs to play the game and everyone needs to know that. I have total faith in him that he can do it, and that he will. SKOL!!!
ADMVP & CCHOF
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DanAS wrote:So what is the goal here, for the Vikes to make the playoffs or for AD to set the single season rushing record? What, you don't think they're inconsistent? Think again.

During the last game, AD was given the last drive off. And that was understandable; if the Vikes' goal was simply to make the playoffs, there was every reason to remove him from the game and let him rest up for Houston. The outcome seemed to be salted away -- in just a small fraction of the 4th quarter, the Rams would have had to score two TDs, which would have required recovering an on-sides kick in the process. Possible, but not likely (not with their O and our D). So why play AD?

Why do you think! I was pissed that he wasn't given the ball. I realized how tough Houston can be and how 294 yards in two games wouldn't be easy even against lesser defenses. I wanted AD to grab every yard he could against the Rams, so as to make that record more attainable. But the Vikes did the right thing, if their objective was exclusively to make the playoffs.

Normally, I'm the kind of fan that says that a team should never let the pursuit of individual records get in the way of team success. But somehow, this situation feels different. What AD is doing, the very first year after a late-season ACL/MCL tear, is freakish. Everyone in the league is noticing his incredible accomplishments. And yet, without the record, this will be just another in a series of Vikings "near misses."

I won't lie -- I really, really, really want to see him break that mark. And yes, if I am being brutally honest, that would feel more meaningful to me than for the team to eke out a playoff position in a year when we almost certainly wouldn't do much in the post-season if we were lucky to get there. There, I said it. Not politically correct, but honest.

Intellectually, I am glad that the Vikes are thinking about team objectives over individual records. Intellectually, I applaud the decision against the Rams to sit our stud and rest him for the next two games. But emotionally, I want to see the team do whatever is possible to get him that record. That still might not be attainable -- some weeks, you just can't run the ball well. And even I don't want to see AD get a zillion carries and break down like an old horse. But hopefully, he can run somewhat successfully, both today and against the jerkoffs from Wisconsin. Hopefully, AD can attain a feat that nobody would have thought was possible the season after such a tough injury. I'll bet you this -- barring a rash of fumbles, if he does set that record, he's getting the MVP, playoffs or not.

And by the way, speaking of beating a team from Wisconsin, I'm heading out to see my Cardinal kick some Badger butt in the Rose Bowl. Wish me luck!
Have a great trip, Dan! I usually cheer for the Big 10 representative in that game but since you'll actually be there, I may have to root for Stanford.

Regarding your question: I'm sure the team's perspective is that they want to make the playoffs and get Ad the record but if they end up protecting a big 4th quarter lead again, I'd expect them to handle it the same way they did against the Rams. They can't afford to view the playoffs as a "we're just happy to be here" situation. If they get there, they need to have the the mentality that they're going to advance and heck, if they get there, maybe they can advance. They beat the 49ers. They had a genuine shot at beating Seattle in Seattle and GB in GB. IF they're good enough to beat the odds and reach the postseason, they may actually be good enough to advance.

I can't speak for anyone else but with or without the all-time single season rushing record, I don't think many will view this season as "just another miss". A 2000 yard season for AD would be very memorable, especially after the injury he suffered last season. He's just 68 yards from moving into the top ten all-time single season rushing performances. He's 122 yards from the #7 position on that list and 188 from the 2000 yard mark. His performance this season is going to be remembered.

That said, I really want him to break that record too. :)
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I like the honesty.

To be honest: I think the Vikings finish 9-7 with no playoffs anyway. I would have like to have seen AD get his touches, but I understand the team with a chance (albeit very slim) to make the playoffs has to protect their key players that way. I hope the discussion is academic and Adrian rushes for 150+ yards against the Texans. We'll see... :v):
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Good post.

I think the coolest things about AD is that he is the EXACT type of guy that you want on your team, not just because of his talent but because of his attitude and spirit as well. The fact that we are all pulling for him, some even to the extent that his personal success is a higher priority than the team's success, is testament to just how appreciated he is among MN Vikings fans. His determination is beyond words. He embodies the human competitive spirit at its best.

Today's "stage"--playing at Reliant in front of a huge group of his closest family and friends--is one of those life moments that seems "stranger than fiction". Part of me fears for a Prometheus type of situation: human hubris can so easily be struck down by the gods and his feats have been quasi-divine this year. I hope he plays within himself and has a huge game w/o injury or fumbles.
lyzarde
Veteran

Post by lyzarde »

The chances of AD rotting on this team and never sniffing a superbowl ring are really damn high. So, for me, I'd rather see him set the record. We owe it to him, He deserves it. More so than this terrible team making the playoffs one year.

This isn't the year this team makes a run anyway.

Get that record AD.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Teams make the playoffs every year. Players don't break 20 year old records every year do they? I doubt after hundreds of carries a few at the end of the game are going to be the straw that broke the camels back. Let him finish out what he started. If he's healthy play him. The idiots played him when he *wasn't* healthy, and now they're worried about resting him at the end of a game? Madness!

Ride the horse that got you here. He got us that lead, he kept us that lead, let him finish out that lead.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

There is no I in team guys. I would love to see Peterson break it but its team first. Vikings need to worry about beating GB not getting petersons record.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

NDVikeFan wrote:There is no I in team guys. I would love to see Peterson break it but its team first. Vikings need to worry about beating GB not getting petersons record.
I had a friend who would always say, "There is no "me" in T-E-A-M....Well, OK...maybe there is, but you know what I mean...." :P
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

DanAS wrote:So what is the goal here, for the Vikes to make the playoffs or for AD to set the single season rushing record? What, you don't think they're inconsistent? Think again.

AD had more carries against the Rams than he had against any other team all season. He sat out last Wednesday's practice due to soreness and a quad issue. The Vikes still need him for the rest of the season, if not the playoffs now, and AD needs to stay healthy and fresh if he has any hope of breaking the record.

The goal is always to win the Superbowl if you are in a position to do so. As far as individual records go, I can't say the Vikings didn't try to maximize AD's yards against the Rams given the number of carries. I think the fact AD sat out Wednesday's practice is a good indicator that more isn't necessarily a good thing when it comes to breaking records.

I still think AD has an excellent chance of breaking Dickerson's record. He's had 2 200-yard games this year and could easily get another at home against the Packers. In fact, I would rather he do it at home against the Packers. IMHO, even breaking 2,000 yards for the year is a spectacular accomplishment.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

It's a tough call. 2 weeks ago I said I'd rather see AD get the record than be a one and done playoff team. I figured there was no way we were going to win 3 road playoff games. We only had 1 road win all year at the time. Now that we easily beat 2 quality teams on the road including the AFC's best team, I'm feeling more confident about our playoffs chances. The '05 Steelers, the '07 Giants, and the 2010 Packers were playing their best ball at this point in the season and all 3 won the superbowl from the 6th seed.

Maybe being the underdog and flying under the radar is the right formula for this franchise. We've tried the #1 and #2 seed many times and it has lead to a lot of heartache. The 6th seed (then the 5th seed) almost worked out for us in '87. What if Darrin Nelson hadn't dropped that TD pass on the final play? The Skins went on to destroy Elway and the Broncos in the bowl, that could have easily been us.

Having said all that, I don't understand why we can't try to get both the record and a playoff berth. It's not like we have a choice, we can actually have both. If AD gets the record, chances are we get the berth. If AD was having groin issues at the end of the Texans game, then ok I understand taking him out, but if we took him out because we're playing it safe, then I take issue. It's not like he's chasing some meaningless milestone, or the rushing title, he's on the cusp of breaking one of the games greatest records. You don't get those chances very often, so you run him until the wheels fall off IMO.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I know what you mean I would love to see AP get the MVP, but its a QB league and then some..

I don't see anyway that AP gets the MVP without breaking the record.

That said i am pretty happy with this season, getting to playoffs would far exceed my expectations..

winning a playoff game, especially against GB oh man :v):
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

jackal wrote:I know what you mean I would love to see AP get the MVP, but its a QB league and then some..

I don't see anyway that AP gets the MVP without breaking the record.

That said i am pretty happy with this season, getting to playoffs would far exceed my expectations..

winning a playoff game, especially against GB oh man :v):
At this point, I'm just thinking about beating the Pukers. It kind of stinks that they moved the game to 1:25 pacific time. I have no idea, realistically, if I can watch the game -- my NFL Sunday Ticket doesn't do any good when I'm on the road. I almost never miss a Vikes game (truly, almost never), but I'm supposed to get together with a bunch of college friends and their families that afternoon, and my fate depends on whether they're showing the game on network TV in LA. Hopefully, Fox will treat it as the game of the week. Frankly, it truly IS the game of the week. We control the destiny of all the teams who still want a wild card and are on the outside looking in. And the Pukers can realistically determine who gets the second NFC bye (as I don't see the 49ers losing). Hard game to predict -- it has the potential to be a heck of a tilt.

By the way, how 'bout them Seahawks? They sure have caught fire. I even heard Collingsworth compare Wilson to our boy Fran. I have to say, they look dangerous.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I have typically been negative lately....but the way this D has been playing, and with AD running the ball....who knows what might happen in the playoffs in JANUARY!!! I'm not saying a deep run is likely, but possible. I know its a pass happy QB driven league...but get some really bad weather in January, and the Vikings are well suited to play.

I would love to see AD break the record. And its not like I'm eager to see any shred of validation to extend this Ponder debacle another year....but I would love to see AD running in the playoffs. And this D just held Andre Johnson and Arian Foster to SIX Points!

PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!