Percy's future w/ Vikings looking uncertain

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Percy's future w/ Vikings looking uncertain

Post by Texas Vike »

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Percy's future w/ Vikings looking uncertain

Post by Demi »

Nonsense! Media trash! Lies! Lies and damned dirty lies! Fabrications and rumors!

:rofl:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Harvin fought with his coaches in college, with Childress and now Frazier (it would seem that Frazier is pretty easy going). Time to cut bait. His market value is really high right now and so it seems logical, with a very expensive new contract looming, now is the time to jettison him out via a trade. If it were my decision, I certainly would trade him out of the division or maybe even out of the conference.
The kid is an absolute tallent but the injuries and bad attitude are seemingly increasing and soon his value might greatly diminish.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Purple bruise wrote:Harvin fought with his coaches in college, with Childress and now Frazier (it would seem that Frazier is pretty easy going). Time to cut bait. His market value is really high right now and so it seems logical, with a very expensive new contract looming, now is the time to jettison him out via a trade. If it were my decision, I certainly would trade him out of the division or maybe even out of the conference.
The kid is an absolute tallent but the injuries and bad attitude are seemingly increasing and soon his value might greatly diminish.

The problem is that his perceived worth, as stated in the article is only a 2nd or 3rd. That's not enough in my opinion. He's worth way more than that, if they can only get his head straight. What concerns me is that if he has been deemed an incorrigible cancer they will let him go below market value just to be done with the distraction.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple bruise wrote:Harvin fought with his coaches in college, with Childress and now Frazier (it would seem that Frazier is pretty easy going). Time to cut bait. His market value is really high right now and so it seems logical, with a very expensive new contract looming, now is the time to jettison him out via a trade. If it were my decision, I certainly would trade him out of the division or maybe even out of the conference.
I believe Harvin is way more valuable than people think. This guy is a legitimate WR, KR, and even RB. If you watch Peterson's 2nd big run vs. Seattle (NOT the 70+ yarder) they send Harvin on a reverse to bait the defense and it literally pulled about 3 Seattle players away from Peterson. When him and Peterson are both on the field, its nearly impossible to shut them both down. One or the other will have a big game, if not both. To find a player that can do what Harvin can is near impossible. He might be one of the toughest pound for pound players in the league, the top KR, arguably the best slot receiver, and a heck of a RB to mix things up. If we let him go we're back to square one. Jarius is good but nowhere near Percy.

And FYI Percy told the media that the word "trade" never came out of his mouth. He just wanted a more active role in the offense and by the way he's played this year, I can understand why. He is also the only WR on this team that ever really clicked with Ponder. If you're building around Ponder then you keep Percy Harvin. The Vikings have dealt with worse issues than this (Randy Moss for example). The vikings MUST find a way to re-sign him. Put a legitimate #1 WR next to him and this offense is 10 times better. Period.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

If we want to improve our offense and build around ponder, it sure as hell isn't going to help if he leaves us. He is the best all around player in the NFL. If I were him, I wouldn't want to leave this team. We have a bright future ahead of us and we will only get better.
ADMVP & CCHOF
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Those words provided one more clue for those who believe the Vikings are preparing to trade Harvin in the offseason, with the possible return pegged by one NFL personnel man as a second- or third-round draft pick.
Are you kidding? In my eyes, Harvin's value to the team, especially in light of their complete lack of competent receiver play (and depth) behind him, places significantly more value than that. I'd be severely critical of the coaching staff/GM if we traded our Pro Bowl wideout/only other offensive playmaker in the prime of his career for anything less than a second or third-round pick PLUS player (OF VALUE, preferably starting-caliber WR) OR straight first-rounder. Harvin has proven his value on the field is worth a premium, attitude (which really isn't that bad from what has been reported) and spotty injury history aside. If someone comes calling about Harvin, I'd listen but force them to make me an offer I could't refuse or screw 'em. He's worth hanging on to.

I'm, frankly, a little surprised Harvin and AD aren't tighter and some of AD's personality hasn't rubbed off a little (maybe it has some, who knows).

If we're conducting a speculating exercise, didn't New England have interest in Harvin? They always have a ton of picks and it just so happens they will likely be in the market for a slot receiver next season.

I really hope they can work something out and he's a Viking for years to come. Not only is he a phenomenal player, he's exciting to watch.

EDIT: I think the second or third-round pick part omitted the caveat: "In a contract year." Without the promise of a new deal and potential Harvin could, in theory, walk after just only one year with the traded team I suppose it makes more sense that his risk would increase and value take a hit as a result. Even with that, you're doing the organization/team a disservice to part ways with Harvin for a third-rounder, no matter what the situation. This isn't a get whatever you can for him/Donovan McNabb situation. You know wherever he goes he'll likely light it up for the next 10 years.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Even with that, you're doing the organization/team a disservice to part ways with Harvin for a third-rounder, no matter what the situation.
You're doing the organization a disservice keeping a guy who's went after the head coach three times, all three on record. Throw in choking his coach in college. And the guy is clearly a distraction. Reportedly wanted out this offseason. And now has had two arguments with Frazier *this season*. I'd rather get what I could then wait and have a hold out, if not this season, next for sure. Even if we franchise him. His value isn't what it should be because he's an injury prone nut case. As good as he is this teams need to keep cleaning up the attitudes.

Would I take a 2nd or 3rd? I wouldn't hold it against the team if they've been made aware he's not going to be sticking around beyond next season. Or if there's more going on then the reported incidents (which is more likely than not).

Harvin and our 1st for Fitzgerald. :twisted:
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

His future with the Vikes will be uncertain right up until the moment he signs a new contract.

This has been a continuing theme this season. Pelissero and Julgadd seem to be a lot more uncertain about Harvin's future (or, it could be said, more certain that things aren't quite right in Harvin-land) than most Vikings fans are willing to admit.
Viva la Vikings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Viva la Vikings »

He'll be traded in the offseason for draft picks. Imo, he was placed on the IR for his attitude and not injury. Hope I'm wrong.
Meet at the Quarterback. -Purple People Eaters
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Time to cut Harvin loose and trade him for another WR(s) and/or draft pick(s).
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I believe Harvin is way more valuable than people think. This guy is a legitimate WR, KR, and even RB. If you watch Peterson's 2nd big run vs. Seattle (NOT the 70+ yarder) they send Harvin on a reverse to bait the defense and it literally pulled about 3 Seattle players away from Peterson. When him and Peterson are both on the field, its nearly impossible to shut them both down. One or the other will have a big game, if not both. To find a player that can do what Harvin can is near impossible. He might be one of the toughest pound for pound players in the league, the top KR, arguably the best slot receiver, and a heck of a RB to mix things up. If we let him go we're back to square one. Jarius is good but nowhere near Percy.

And FYI Percy told the media that the word "trade" never came out of his mouth. He just wanted a more active role in the offense and by the way he's played this year, I can understand why. He is also the only WR on this team that ever really clicked with Ponder. If you're building around Ponder then you keep Percy Harvin. The Vikings have dealt with worse issues than this (Randy Moss for example). The vikings MUST find a way to re-sign him. Put a legitimate #1 WR next to him and this offense is 10 times better. Period.
Percy's a beast, no doubt about it. And you put AD and him on the field at the same time and you have an absolutely ELECTRIC offense, even with Ponder at the helm.

What worries me is that this came from Pelissero, who generally has a good pulse on things. If It had come from Sid I'd be less worried. I really hope they can work it out, but things seem off.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

If we lose Harvin because of an incompetent coaching staff I swear...
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:If we lose Harvin because of an incompetent coaching staff I swear...
If they "lose" Harvin it's pretty obvious it will be be because of Harvin.

All I got from that article was that there was a post-injury heated exchange between Harvin and Frazier and that rampant speculation about Harvin's future continues. As Pelissero pointed out:
In reality, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, discussions already were underway with Harvin's agent, Joel Segal, about making a decision both sides believed was in the best interest of the player and the team based strictly on the injury.

Instead of risking further injury that could have long-term consequences, Harvin would continue treating the injury immediately near his home in Florida, where he rehabbed from shoulder surgery in the spring and would be heading after the season anyway.
At this point, I don't see much fire to go with the smoke. It's clear that the Vikings will need to offer Harvin a new deal or face the emotional fallout of failing to offer one. It's equally clear that none of these reporters and insiders have a clue what will happen next. They obviously don't know if Harvin wants to stay or go and they don't know if the Vikings want to keep him, how much they'd be willing to pay him, the exact nature of the heated exchange between Harvin and Frazier, etc.

Basically, although Pelissero provided a few new details, all this article reports is that Harvin's future is uncertain, something we've known for the better part of a year. Rumors are clearly swirling but there's no concrete information from the main parties involved: the Vikings, Harvin or agent Joel Segal.
Last edited by Mothman on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:His future with the Vikes will be uncertain right up until the moment he signs a new contract.
That's true... just like any other player in a contract year.