Worst Head Coaches in NFL History

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eliot
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Worst Head Coaches in NFL History

Post by Eliot »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1443 ... me/page/16

3 coaches. And 1 honorable mention.
Minnesota Vikings fan from Missouri!

Skol!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Worst Head Coaches in NFL History

Post by Eli »

Childress, Tice, Singletary, Steckel.

I wouldn't count Singletary against the Vikings. There's no reason he can't be a good position coach, or even a coordinator. He certainly was a horrible head coach, though.

Like most similar lists, it's too heavily weighted toward the present day. I don't see the connection between Les Steckel and Cam Cameron, almost a quarter century apart. Are they the only coaches on the list to last just one season?
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

I don't think Tice was as bad as some seem to. He was a bit too loose lipped, and he may have let the fans make too many decisions, got too close to players(Moss). But he was starting to get it when he was fired imo.
This space available for rent.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote:Childress, Tice, Singletary, Steckel.

I wouldn't count Singletary against the Vikings. There's no reason he can't be a good position coach, or even a coordinator. He certainly was a horrible head coach, though.

Like most similar lists, it's too heavily weighted toward the present day. I don't see the connection between Les Steckel and Cam Cameron, almost a quarter century apart. Are they the only coaches on the list to last just one season?
Interesting that your three selections (4) all have ties or were head coaches with the Vikings. Steckel was the worst of all of the Viking coaches in my estimation. But for me Josh Mcdaniels was 1-10 as a head coach, Cam Cameron (Dolphins) started out 0-13 then finished at 1-15 and then there was Rich Kotite (Jets and Eagles) 4-28. Would all give Steckel a run for his money.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote:Interesting that your three selections (4) all have ties or were head coaches with the Vikings.
Not my selections. I just listed the Vikings coaches that the OP alluded to.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

They made Mike Tice sound like this wretched bum but his last 3 seasons were all .500 or better and he finished 2nd in his division in first 4 full years of coaching.

9/7
8/8
9/7

I don't know, man. That doesn't sound like Worst Coach Ever material to me. Love Boat? Coaches have been less infamous for having murderers on their rosters. We just love people a bit too much maybe!

Further Edit: In that 2005 season that saw Culpepper's throw no touchdowns, 8 interceptions and fumble 3 times in his first 2 games for losses, suffer a career-wrecking knee injury AND Love Boat, Tice salvaged the season with the backup quarterback and went 9-7, 5 of those wins being in division to include sweeping the Packers. After turning chicken crap into chicken ala king basically he was promptly fired for a guy that went 6-10 the next season.

Edit:

Worse coaches ahead of Mike Tice at 32:
Tom Cable: HORRENDOUS coach who broke another coach's jaw. Complete lunatic moron
Lindy Infante, 36-60, made every team he took over actively worse, as big a difference as in the playoffs to 3-13
Norv Turner, the Epitome of Futility (arguable)
Hue Jackson, one 8-8 season when the Oakland Raiders were the Oakland Penalty Flags averaging nearly 10 a game, 2 of them personal fouls.
Erica "The Mangina" Mangini who had one playoff appearance and more hype than almost anybody in the league.
In 80 games he had one more win (33) than Tice had in 55.
Chan Gailey in Buffalo deserves a spot. Lots of talent, nothing but losses. 3 wins this season with 3 blowout losses of 24, 33 and 42 point losses.

Edit to the Edit: MIKE TICK WOULDN'T SPEND A PENNY. The Wilfs have just been money bukkake and all it got them was one fine season of Favre before the Saints mugged him out of the league.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Well for the Vikings. I'd have

1. Childress (Biased because I seen Childress and not Steckel.)
2. Steckel
3. Tice
I saw the Les Steckel year and I'd have rated them the same way. Not because Steckel wasn't bad (He was) but Childress left the team in far worse shape after his firing than Steckel did. Suffice to say: Both have "honorable mention" as the worst coach in Vikings history for me. While I never thought Tice was a great coach, he certainly did better than Childress with much less support than Bald Clueless received. It's Bleacher Report. I can take it only so seriously, anyway...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

tice beat the packers in the playoffs, that single handedly makes him A-ok in my book !
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleHalo wrote:I don't think Tice was as bad as some seem to. He was a bit too loose lipped, and he may have let the fans make too many decisions, got too close to players(Moss). But he was starting to get it when he was fired imo.
I agree and if Tice "wrecked" Randy Moss's scoring potential as they say on that list, why has Moss had just one season in which he scored more TDs than he did with the Vikings in 2003?

Tice was hamstrung by bad ownership. He made his share of mistakes but he doesn't belong on that list.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Steckel injured half the starters in training camp with his gung-ho, Marine Corps conditioning program. A true idiot.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

soflavike wrote:Steckel injured half the starters in training camp with his gung-ho, Marine Corps conditioning program. A true idiot.
I'm not saying Steckel wasn't an idiot mind you, but did he ever punt the ball away on 4th down with no time-outs left and less than 2 minutes in the game?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

I agree about Tice. He wasn't exactly Tom Landry, but the ownership left him out to dry. And I think ridiculing the Randy Ratio was a bit overblown — It wasn't much of a leap by opposing coaches to figure out the Vikings would try to throw to Moss. You think people would be shocked if the Lions stated they try to get the ball to Clavin Johnson? Plawweeese.

I think Petrino should be ranked higher than No. 4 mainly because of the crappy way he left. Kotite was inept and, from what I saw in Philly and New York, totally clueless. Yet somehow weirdly entertaining — of course, it was funny listening to him saying after every loss, "The guys played hard," because I'm not a fan of the Eagles or the Jets.
"Meet at the quarterback"
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Eli wrote: Not my selections. I just listed the Vikings coaches that the OP alluded to.
I think the OP was alluding to Tice, Steckle, Childress and Green. The first page of the article talked about two 'most notable omissions' naming Dennis Green and Jim Mora (Sr). Read Page 1 here
Craig S
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikeMike wrote:I agree about Tice. He wasn't exactly Tom Landry, but the ownership left him out to dry. And I think ridiculing the Randy Ratio was a bit overblown — It wasn't much of a leap by opposing coaches to figure out the Vikings would try to throw to Moss. You think people would be shocked if the Lions stated they try to get the ball to Clavin Johnson? Plawweeese.

LOL! That was always my take on it too.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I agree with those who don't think Tice belongs on the list. He was basically fired at a point when he was beginning to get the team on the right track. Zygi jumped the gun on that one. As for the previous owner, Red McCombs was a tightwad, creating an underpaid and overworked coaching staff that had to wear too many hats. Tice's tenure as a Vikings coach was doomed from the start by ownership.