Mike Golic's MVP pick as of last week

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Re: Mike Golic's MVP pick as of last week

Post by Mercy Percy »

Dark wrote:

Manning had nerve damage not 2 torn ligaments in his knee which is what MVPeterson relies on. Adrian has to be MVP I dont know why he shouldnt he is on a torrid pace after busting his knee up.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Purple Jesus wrote: Exactly. Some (myself kind of included) thought he would never be the same after that injury. And we were right, he is not the same, he is BETTER!!
Im not counting AD out. I was just dissagreeing with someone else that said that mannings injury wasn't seriious and they were almost counting him out. I think it will be very close. but I think AD has done a better job and should get MVP. I think you misunderstood what I said.
ADMVP & CCHOF
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I try not to be a Vikings homer about these things. But as far as the MVP award goes - I guess I don't know. It depends on how you "value" players. But you are looking at Payton Manning having a great season. In contrast to Adrian Peterson having one of the most amazing seasons of all time. It's not even close.

I'll leave it for someone else to do the statistical comparisons, but I'd guess that Manning's season ranks in the top ten of the last decade. Peterson's season looks like it will be the first or second best of all time.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

MDviking wrote:Not to mention, Manning has won it 4 times already. He stole it from a Viking (Culpepper) once already. I mean, c'mon, throw AD a friggin' bone here.
IMO, I think that's going to be a factor. Not that he stole it from Culpepper but the fact that him and Brady both have already won multiple MVP's. I mean what's so special about what they're doing? They do it every year. Look how many QB's threw for over 5k yards last year. I think it's time that these voters wake up and realize it's a passing league and start holding QB's to a higher standard. What AD is doing doesn't happen very often and unlike today's QB's, his stats can be fairly measured against any RB from any era.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Reignman wrote:IMO, I think that's going to be a factor. Not that he stole it from Culpepper but the fact that him and Brady both have already won multiple MVP's. I mean what's so special about what they're doing? They do it every year. Look how many QB's threw for over 5k yards last year. I think it's time that these voters wake up and realize it's a passing league and start holding QB's to a higher standard. What AD is doing doesn't happen very often and unlike today's QB's, his stats can be fairly measured against any RB from any era.
This is my biggest argument here, and I put Brady ahead of Manning. But what they are doing, is done every year, by Brees, Rogers, Manning, Brady, with the exception of 2011, when Manning was out. These numbers are common, if they don't give it to Adrian, than just rename it most valuable quarterback, and make a new award where the rest of the league can have a chance. I don't even respect these qb numbers. No way are these guys any better than , Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Fouts etc...They are playing in an era, that makes it much easier, total joke.
This space available for rent.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Really good idea to make a QB only award! That just makes sense. Agree totally that they need to hold these guys to a higher standard now. What I also don't get is manning has the 6th most passing yards right now, 6TH! Not the most of all time, not the most this year but SIXTH! They're also acting like the Broncos were the worst team in the league last year while they made the playoffs and WON a playoff game.

I don't see how you vote for anyone other than adrian tbh.
doc108
Waterboy

Post by doc108 »

yezzir wrote:For somebody who is recognized as a smart, respected football analyst, you can't be that stupid.
How is that stupid. JJ Watt is literally having one of if not the best seasons ever. Most sacks by an interior linemen ever with 2 games to go. He has a great chance to beat the sack record and even if he doesn't it will still be a top 10 season ever and a top 3 defensive season ever. It is far from stupid to call JJ Watt the MVP
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

yezzir wrote:He was asked which non-qb deserves the award. He said JJ Watt.
That make sense -- I've always thought of Golic in terms of his low Watt-age.
ivo610
Waterboy

Post by ivo610 »

Few thoughts.

JJ Watt is changing the way the game is played with all his batted balls. I have never seen anything like it. If any defensive player deserves the MVP its him.

To play devils advocate, I ask, How is the argument for APs season any different than Calvin Johnsons season? Johnson set the record, and might be the first wr to 2000 yards. AP has an outside shot at breaking the record, and a good shot at 2000 yards.

I dont get the Manning MVP. Is he the default player? Is he any better this season than Rodgers or Brady? Denver was a playoff team last season and won a game, so its not like he is pulling a Luck or RG3 and taking some team that was bad last season into the playoffs. Its a nice story but doesnt make him MVP automatically.

If AP gets the record I would be very surprised to see him not bring home the MVP