We are now in control of our own destiny...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

We are now in control of our own destiny...

Post by PotGoblin »

According to the latest playoff pictures at least from what I seen on the NBC pre-game show and the NFL website - http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

for some reason I thought the Giants had the tie-breaker on us but they have us as the #6 seed at the moment. So in theory as long as we win out we are in?
Purple Pride till the end.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: We are now in control of our own destiny...

Post by akvikingsfan »

Thats not accurate. If we win out and go 10-6 we can still miss the playoffs. If us, the cowboys, and the giants all win out we will all be 10-6 and we will miss the playoffs. So yes we currently have the 6th seed but just winning out won't ensure we make it. You can play around with this tool http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine and see what I mean.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

well then I blame NBC and NFL.com for getting my hopes up :flamed:
Purple Pride till the end.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Do the Vikings actually control things? The tie-breakers can shift, as they depend a lot on conference record and the Vikings play an AFC team.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

No they do not control their own destiny. If we win out we can still miss the playoffs. They are just currently in the 6th seed.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Eli wrote:Do the Vikings actually control things? The tie-breakers can shift, as they depend a lot on conference record and the Vikings play an AFC team.
No, they control nothing. It all depends on what happens in the Giants, Skins and Cowboys race. Seattle comes into play if they win one more. It is possible that MN could go 10-6 and miss the playoffs. Right now there are way to many possibilities to go through them all. Win next week or your out. It's really that simple.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

If we win out, it totally depends on who else loses. Itd be nice if somebody broke it all the way down in a new thread
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

yezzir wrote:If we win out, it totally depends on who else loses. Itd be nice if somebody broke it all the way down in a new thread
I can do that tomorrow at work.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

akvikingsfan wrote: I can do that tomorrow at work.
Sweeeeeeettttt :v):
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Umm no we aernt. One game at a time though and see what happens. The one thing the Vikings can DO is get AD his yards and I hope to god they do that. Its not like we would go far in the playoffs with no QB or passing game. But AD deserves the respect of being the best player in the NFL, and the best I have ever seen. Bar none.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Right now, we're the 6 seed according to ESPN. That's by virtue of the fact that we win the tiebreaker over both Chicago and Dallas, and Dallas wins the tiebreaker with the Giants.

Also, if we win out, our division record improves, our conference record improves, and our strength of victory goes up in a big way (since we're talking teams with a combined 22-6 record). Our strength of schedule improves no matter what. Those are the factors that determine tie-breaks.

I don't know if that means we control our own destiny, but it sure seems like it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

All it takes for us to be in control of our own destiny is a win next week and a giants loss to the ravens. http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/vikingswhatif.html
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

akvikingsfan wrote:All it takes for us to be in control of our own destiny is a win next week and a giants loss to the ravens.
So next week is our so far most official MUST WIN.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

For us to make the playoffs:

a) We need to win out

b) Giants need to lose at least 1 game

This is confirmed with the ESPN playoff machine. Even if Dallas and Washington both win next week, one of them is guaranteed to lose week 17 and it doesn't matter which (try it).
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Orion wrote:For us to make the playoffs:

a) We need to win out

b) Giants need to lose at least 1 game

Thud is confirmed with the ESPN playoff machine. Even if Dallas and Washington both win next week, one of them is guaranteed to lose week 17 and it doesn't matter which (try it).

Thanks. The Giants play @ ravens, then home against the eagles.