The Kirk Cousins Audition Continues Today

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

The Kirk Cousins Audition Continues Today

Post by DanAS »

Here in America's capital city, the general view is that there are two QBs worth watching on the local team. One is being treated like a sure fire Hall of Famer and franchise savior, and a possible divine messenger. He goes by the name of RG3. (OK. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit about the "divine messenger." But just a bit. The man is a rookie who hasn't yet played a full season, and yet he has easily become the most popular DC athlete since John Riggins.) The other QB, Kirk Cousins, is looked at as a future NFL starting quarterback who just happens to have the misfortune , at present, of backing up RG3. According to conventional DC wisdom, Cousins excelled during pre-season and excelled again when finally given the opportunity to beat the team's rival from just up I-95 (the Ravens). Cousins has just been named the starting QB for today's practice-game against the lowly Cleveland Browns.

Folks, I'm not sold yet on Kirk Cousins because I personally haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. But I do have to say that given what others have said, and given that he did play well last week, his performance against the Browns interests me. It is possible that Cousins could be a legitimate NFL starting QB, and sooner rather than later. Also, the Redskins would surely be happy to part with him for a non-stratospheric price -- nobody can afford two starting caliber QBs and pay them huge wages, not given the salary cap. Plus, the Redskins need draft picks -- they gave some away to acquire RG3 -- so they might be willing to trade Cousins relatively soon to refurbish their draft options.

Clearly, the Vikes desperately need a QB, and this year's QB draft class is weak. Cousins will be one of the guys who may become available -- if not in 2013 than in 2014. So, if you get the NFL Sunday ticket, and you're looking for something to do when there is a commercial during the Vikes game, you might want to check this kid Cousins out and see if he is, in fact, the real deal.

Of course, it may be that most of you guys already know this kid from his days in the Big 10. Here in DC, Big 10 football has never gotten much hype. I suppose that might change in a year or two when Maryland joins the league, but as of now, most of the football fans here probably have no recollection of Cousins from his days in East Lansing. If you do know the kid and think he's either the real deal or a big bust, I'd be curious to get your impression.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: The Kirk Cousins Audition Continues Today

Post by Mothman »

DanAS wrote:Folks, I'm not sold yet on Kirk Cousins because I personally haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. But I do have to say that given what others have said, and given that he did play well last week, his performance against the Browns interests me. It is possible that Cousins could be a legitimate NFL starting QB, and sooner rather than later. Also, the Redskins would surely be happy to part with him for a non-stratospheric price -- nobody can afford two starting caliber QBs and pay them huge wages, not given the salary cap.
That's not likely to become a problem any time soon because his rookie contract was for 4 years and around $2.5 million. In salary cap terms, that's easily manageable. However...
Plus, the Redskins need draft picks -- they gave some away to acquire RG3 -- so they might be willing to trade Cousins relatively soon to refurbish their draft options.
That's an excellent point and the Redskins might make Cousins available for the right pick or picks. he could become another example of why it's a good idea to draft and develop QBs with starting potential. They can help a team out by providing valuable depth, becoming starters are bring value in trade.
Clearly, the Vikes desperately need a QB, and this year's QB draft class is weak. Cousins will be one of the guys who may become available -- if not in 2013 than in 2014. So, if you get the NFL Sunday ticket, and you're looking for something to do when there is a commercial during the Vikes game, you might want to check this kid Cousins out and see if he is, in fact, the real deal.

This year's draft class may be perceived as weak but if Cousins was in it, it would be perceived the same way, which shows just how quickly perceptions can change. Cousins wasn't perceived as a great pro prospect, which is why the Redskins were able to draft him in the fourth round.
Of course, it may be that most of you guys already know this kid from his days in the Big 10. Here in DC, Big 10 football has never gotten much hype. I suppose that might change in a year or two when Maryland joins the league, but as of now, most of the football fans here probably have no recollection of Cousins from his days in East Lansing. If you do know the kid and think he's either the real deal or a big bust, I'd be curious to get your impression.
I saw him play quite a few times when he was at Michigan State. I didn't perceive him real deal or a bust, just as a player with some genuine potential. He's not a "wow" athlete in terms of his physical tools but he's a pretty accurate passer and he bring some of the intangible qualities to his game that can lead to success in the NFL. I definitely perceived him as a leader and if I remember correctly, he was a 3 time team captain at MU. He always struck me as a confident player, a very competitive type who could rally his teammates. However, like the Vikes current QB, he doesn't have a rocket arm and he can hold onto the ball too long.

He's worth watching and maybe, in a year or so, he'd even be worth trading to acquire but I suspect there's another Kirk Cousins or two in this draft...
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

I'll try to watch as much of the skins' game as I can and "scout" Cousins. I really hope he does well, becaise we may need a young guy like him if the whole ponder experiment doesn't work out.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Cousins might actually be more expensive to "appropriate" from DC than Flynn from Seattle.

Flynn's stock fell because he got outplayed by a rookie. Also, he had like one amazing game for a Super Bowl-caliber team, which also doesn't tell you much.

I think the real question will be "how much is Zygi Wilf going to commit in free agency now that he has his stadium of the future?"
-Rus
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Rus wrote:I think the real question will be "how much is Zygi Wilf going to commit in free agency now that he has his stadium of the future?"
When specifically talking about QB, "will Spielman give up on Ponder?" comes into play as well.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Here are Cousins' stats from today:

26/37 329 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT. Not to mentiom he led his team to a 38-21 victory. Those are great stats. I think this guy could be a starting caliber QB. One can hope.
ADMVP & CCHOF
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think every rookie playing is better then Ponder. It doesnt matter, any more then the why didnt we get rg3 thread. Spielman is too stuborn to give up on Ponder yet. Just like Fraizer was with Mcnabb. And because AD is god, we will have Pnder next year, no matter what.