Improved secondary: parallel situation WR

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Improved secondary: parallel situation WR

Post by Texas Vike »

One year ago, the Vikings had an embarrassingly bad secondary in a division with 3 strong aerial attacks. As an article in the Strib this morning summarizes it:

"Residing in the NFC North was especially painful a year ago. Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, Detroit's Matthew Stafford and Chicago's Jay Cutler went 5-0 against the Vikings while completing 72.3 percent of their passes for 1,457 yards, 13 touchdowns, no interceptions and an average passer rating of 125.3." (From today's article on Harrison Smith)

In one off season they managed to make significant changes and seriously upgrade an area. There is still work to do, but they made major changes and we've seen the results. The streak of games w/o INT has been smashed.

That is to say, there is a precedent to the predicament we're currently in with our passing Offense. I'm hopeful that Spielman and Frazier can make a similar overhaul to our WRs and perhaps upgrade our OL at one or two spots as well. Lastly, I hope they are wise enough to bring in some real back up QBs that can step in should Ponder continue to play like a 4th grade girl throwing left handed (no offense to any 4th grade girls posting here).
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Improved secondary: parallel situation WR

Post by jackal »

I disagree I thought our secondary was much improved, compared to previous years. I have to say our coaching needs
to improve; the Vikings defenders often do not look for the ball when matching speed, going to down the field. Not
only does this add to the chance of a defensive pass interference call against us, it eliminates interception chances
for our team.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

jackal wrote:I disagree I thought our secondary was much improved, compared to previous years. I have to say our coaching needs
to improve; the Vikings defenders often do not look for the ball when matching speed, going to down the field. Not
only does this add to the chance of a defensive pass interference call against us, it eliminates interception chances
for our team.

What is it you are disagreeing with from my post? I think you misread it.

My point is precisely that our secondary improved big time and that it inspires confidence that we can do the same w/ our passing offense.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

I agree with both posters above " there are more females posting than we realize " on this board , the secondary has improved a great deal over previous versions but there is definitely room for improved technique on playing the ball while its in the air . The encouraging thing is that now the corners are actually in the picture frame when the receiver catches the ball :wink: , the next step will be to make plays on third and long, something we have struggled with for years . I do like the direction we are headed . Now if only we can recruit some 4th grade girls at QB :lol:
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

I agree, we majorly improved our secondary this past year, so now we need to work on improving our offense, but mainly the WR position. I don't think we should get a QB yet because I would like to wait another year to see if the ponder experiment works. This is only Ponder's first full year as starter, so I would like to see if he can work on some of his weaknesses in the offseason.
ADMVP & CCHOF
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Other than Harvin and Wright, I don't see our wide outs get open. I don't really understand this fact?
They have to have speed ,or we wouldn't have drafted them. Maybe the way they are coached has a lot
to do with it. I know guys that can run routes very well are more difficult to defend against. I think the
colts and Patriots do this as well ,as any team in the league.

Ponder he throws off balance at times especially when going deep. The coach said that was like a punt
in his comments after the bears game. REALLY, that was more of a screw up from my point of view.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Lashman wrote,
I agree with both posters above " there are more females posting than we realize " on this board ,
:nono: Maybe you would be happier in life if you worked on your own personal issues, instead of
attempting to be a ignorant and unwanted negative force. FOE LIST INCREASED +1
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

With our #1 going down. A rookie, and a guy we traded a 7th for.

Man maybe Williams really did make that big of a difference.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

jackal wrote:Lashman wrote, :nono: Maybe you would be happier in life if you worked on your own personal issues, instead of
attempting to be a ignorant and unwanted negative force. FOE LIST INCREASED +1
I was only meaning that I believed there are lots more female posters than we knew on the board I wasn't implying anything bad at all . I think you completely misunderstood my meaning . I like the fact that women like football . I don't know why you want to foe me but it was a misunderstanding I think .
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Demi wrote:With our #1 going down. A rookie, and a guy we traded a 7th for.

Man maybe Williams really did make that big of a difference.
Agreed... and some credit should go to Frazier for moving on from pagac and company and getting a guy that could actually do the job. This unit was down right dreadful last year and now (along with AD) are a big reason we're winning games, even in spite of the passing game.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

mondry wrote: Agreed... and some credit should go to Frazier for moving on from pagac and company and getting a guy that could actually do the job. This unit was down right dreadful last year and now (along with AD) are a big reason we're winning games, even in spite of the passing game.
Well I think getting Smith , Robinson and an improved Raymond has a little to do with it as well :) oh yea and a healthy Winfield , cant forget him !
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Smith is our biggest improvement. Smart and high energy. There were at least 2 plays where he blow up 2 blockers to let the next guy come in and get the tackle. As a whole, I like how they make big hits and swarm to the football.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

yezzir wrote:Smith is our biggest improvement. Smart and high energy. There were at least 2 plays where he blow up 2 blockers to let the next guy come in and get the tackle. As a whole, I like how they make big hits and swarm to the football.
Having Cook back helps as well. I now he has been out the last few weeks but that makes it that much more impressive in that some of the younger guys have stepped up somewhat.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Where did this female thing come from? I've been hitting the bottle and a little something else since noon but I didn't realize I was that trashed.

Yes, the secondard is totally improved from where it was last year. Smith, Brinkley and Robinson for as young as they are playing fine football.

Also, Winfield is just an unaging beast. His hit today with Greenway changed the entire complexion of the game. There has never been a pound for pound better pure hitter and his infield tackling is just phenomenal. Oh, it is gonna hurt to lose him.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Not sure about where this thread is heading right now??? To the OP ideas, I agree on the improvement in the Secondary. For the WR to improve next season I think it is only going to happen is one of 3 things happen:

1.) Childs comes back strong
2.) They sign a beast in FA
3.) They get 1st round talent that is exceptional in his first year

To be honest, #3 is perhaps the most seductive, but also the hardest to hit on. Most WR take a season or two to develop. My guess is that in 2013 our improvement at this position will need to come from guys drafted in 2012 not 2013. Unfortunately, I think Childs, assuming he comes back, is more likely to be a year behind. That leaves an FA signing, which I think is unlikely since they are going to have to give Harvin a big time contract.

Simpson and Carlson both showed some life yesterday so another possible option is that Simpson and Carlson come back in 2013 and are healthy for the full season. The more I think about it, the more some combination of the 2012 FA/Draft guys is the most likely avenue for us to see immediate impact barring a big FA signing. (that is part of how the Secondary got better as well) Spielman has also made statements on occaision that this will be their preferred direction. Not very splashy, but in the long run it is the preferred route to take assuming these guys can get better and become playmakers.
No clear direction right now.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi