Vikinbg PLayoff Run?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

As of right now, the chances of the Vikes making the playoffs is:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:40 pm

1) 0-10%
36%
2) 11-25%
38%
3) 26-40%
13%
4) 41-60%
10%
5) 61% and/or over!
3%

Total votes: 39

headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Vikinbg PLayoff Run?

Post by headless_norseman »

With 3 games left, we look at the schedule and we look at the division and conference standings. Vikes are +1 road dogs against the Rams. What are the odds of making the playoffs, as of right now :rock:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Re: Vikinbg PLayoff Run?

Post by Grashopa »

0-10% i just dont see it happening, also i would almost rather we lose out so then they HAVE TO do something about QB and WRs
Formerly AADPFan
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

I chose 11-25%

With our last three games coming up, I say we win one of them, that one probably being against the Rams. We end our season 8-8, which I am very happy about. At the beginning of the season, I predicted us to be about 6-10. We have made great improvement and I think our team is on track. I could see us in the playoffs wiithin the next couple years. Our team is built, and we just need some offensive improvements and we are definitely playoff bound!
ADMVP & CCHOF
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Voted 26%-40% as I feel there is about a 27-28% they can rattle of 3 wins and get in at 10-6. Without Adrian it'd be 0% so that's about how I see it.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

First three answers :thumbsup:

Now we add some scheduling context.

Good news, the Ram game is a playoff game for us, as the Rams are just behind us in the WC race.

Bad news, three teams ahead in the WC race.

Bears, Redskins and Cowboys.

Bears last 3: Packers, Cards, Lions. Lose to Pack, beat AZ and tossup on the road against the Lions.

Skins have Browns, Philly and then Dallas. RG III prolly out for the Browns game. Road against Philly and home against Dallas.

Dallas has Pitt, Saints and Skins.

All three have to lose 2/3. Vikes have to beat the Rams & Packers to beat the Bears in the conference tiebreaker. If all the screwy NFL stars align, we have maybe a 20% shot.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

headless_norseman wrote:First three answers :thumbsup:

Now we add some scheduling context.

Good news, the Ram game is a playoff game for us, as the Rams are just behind us in the WC race.

Bad news, three teams ahead in the WC race.

Bears, Redskins and Cowboys.

Bears last 3: Packers, Cards, Lions. Lose to Pack, beat AZ and tossup on the road against the Lions.

Skins have Browns, Philly and then Dallas. RG III prolly out for the Browns game. Road against Philly and home against Dallas.

Dallas has Pitt, Saints and Skins.

All three have to lose 2/3. Vikes have to beat the Rams & Packers to beat the Bears in the conference tiebreaker. If all the screwy NFL stars align, we have maybe a 20% shot.

.....Or Vikings win the last 3 games, Skins and Dallas only need to lose 1 game. Chicago will most likely beat the Cards so say they're 9-5. Now Chicago only needs to lose 1 game to either Detroit or GB and the Vikings win due to best won-lost-tied percentage within division and Vikings get the last seed.

Otherwise, you're right if the vikes go 9-7.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Orion wrote:

Actually, if the Vikings win on Sunday and Chicago, Skins, and Dallas all lose, Vikings would be in the number 6 seed and our destiny would be completely in our hands.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

Orion wrote:
Actually, if the Vikings win on Sunday and Chicago, Skins, and Dallas all lose, Vikings would be in the number 6 seed and our destiny would be completely in our hands.
I think IF WE WIN OUR THREE REMAINING GAMES (it's a big if),
we just need the Skins and Cowboys to lose one.

- If Chicago looses against GB, they're 10-6 at best and only 3-3 in the division.
Since we're 1-1 in head-to-head we have the tie-breaker against them. :beerchug:

- If Chicago wins, it means GB is 10-6 at best
First tie-breaker : Head-to-head : 1-1.
2d tie-breaker : 4-2 in the division for both teams.
3th tie-breaker : % of win in common games. We played the exact same teams except 2 :
They're 1-1 against Giants/Saints, and we're 0-2 against the Skins and Tampa.
Since they have a better record against the "different" opponents,
we're better against the common ones ! :beerchug:

Means we can root for the Bears on next Sunday, and hope they loose another game later,
meaning we could even win the division.

I hope I didn't make any mistake... but let's start by winning those 3 games... :mrgreen:
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

You guys really want to go to the prom with Christian Ponder passing an average of 100 YPG?

Ugg, not me. Reminds me of the playoff loss to Philly with Tjoke.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Making the playoffs, might give Speilman and Frazier, the idea this team is okay, and are growing. They still haven't addressed the most vital position in all of sports. Still big holes to fill, before a serious playoff run. Still need: Stud MLB, stud outside WR, decent QB, one more NFL caliber safety, and replacments for aging KWill and Twoine.
This space available for rent.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Look, once you're in the playoffs, you're in the playoffs and anything can happen, taking it game by game. If the Vikings do make the playoffs, I think they would do better than teams like Seattle and Denver who got upset wins then shut out the next game. The Vikings have proven they can keep up with the top NFL teams (49ers, GB, awaiting Houston).
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

jeg067 wrote: I think IF WE WIN OUR THREE REMAINING GAMES (it's a big if),
we just need the Skins and Cowboys to lose one.

- If Chicago looses against GB, they're 10-6 at best and only 3-3 in the division.
Since we're 1-1 in head-to-head we have the tie-breaker against them. :beerchug:

- If Chicago wins, it means GB is 10-6 at best
First tie-breaker : Head-to-head : 1-1.
2d tie-breaker : 4-2 in the division for both teams.
3th tie-breaker : % of win in common games. We played the exact same teams except 2 :
They're 1-1 against Giants/Saints, and we're 0-2 against the Skins and Tampa.
Since they have a better record against the "different" opponents,
we're better against the common ones ! :beerchug:

Means we can root for the Bears on next Sunday, and hope they loose another game later,
meaning we could even win the division.

I hope I didn't make any mistake... but let's start by winning those 3 games... :mrgreen:
The Cowboys and Skins cannot win out. One of them will take at least one loss. They play each other.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

Raptorman wrote: The Cowboys and Skins cannot win out. One of them will take at least one loss. They play each other.
Since they both have the tie-braker against us I think, and since the first wild-cart will probably
go to either Seattle or the niners, we want both of them to lose at least one game.
(or the Giants to lose at least twice).
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

It's a schedule/strength adjusted measure of the likelihood of making the playoffs, and which spot. Currently the Vikings have a 7% shot. Just too many tiebreakers against us, and our schedule is too tough to be likely to win out.

We won't be favored in any of the last three. But imagine they were tossups. If so, we'd have a 50% chance at each. Doing the math, that's a 12.5% chance of a 10-6 record, 37.5% chance of going 9-7, 37.5% to go 8-8, and a 1 in 8 shot at dropping them all. Now that's an optimistic analysis, again, because we won't be favored in any of them.

Hey, I just want to see 8-8. Anything after that is just gravy. Heck. Anything better than 6-10 this year is gravy - and we are enjoying that gravy.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

It's possible, but I'm not getting my hopes up. This team has burned me too many times. We have to win 2 straight on the road when we've only won 1 road game all year. Then if we do squeak in as the 6th seed we'll have to win 3 straight on the road vs some of the leagues best teams in the playoffs just to make it to the bowl. Unless everyone is satisfied with just making the playoffs? And lets say we do win these next 2 road games but then lose to the Packers with everything on the line in the final game. We'll have to put the whole state on suicide watch.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh