New member Mock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: New member Mock

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:I'd say 30% ponder, 40% WR, 15% o-line, 15% musgrave.

For O-line, they've been some what inconsistent but I don't think they've been worse than say, half the other O-lines in the league.

Musgrave would have a higher % of the blame but when it comes down to it for me, talent is just so much more important.

Ponder gets a big chunk of the blame, he's shown a few flashes of brilliance but way more mistakes.

The WR's get the most blame for me because they simply suck. No Harvin, Simpson has a pinched nerve or whatever so he's useless, burton is a #5, Aroma and jenkins are #4's. So our WR's look like #4, #4, #5, and a hurt guy who's still actually better than our #4's because they're #4's.
LOL! Well said.

The o-line is definitely not a bottom-of-the-barrel unit. they just need to improve.

The biggest problem with the passing game can probably be summed up this way: they don't excel in any area of it. Almost nobody from the QB to the receivers to the line is making anybody look better.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Players Let Go
WR- Jerome Simpson...Too inconsistent, not big on his cocky attitude, below average catching ability
WR- Devin Aromashadu...It was down to him and Jenkins but Jenkins' hands are way more reliable
WR- Stephen Burton...Has done nothing but drop balls this year
TE- John Carlson...I said from the start that this was a waste of money and I was right
OG- Charlie Johnson...Do I need to say more?
OL- Joe Berger...Getting old and no need for him anymore
DT- Letroy Guion...A waste of space. Period
MLB- Erin Henderson...Just hasnt performed this year and cant cover to save his life
S- Andrew Sendejo...no need for him.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerome Simpson back. The Vikings just don't have a lot of options at WR and if the coaching staff is convinced his troubles this year were due to injury, then I can easily see them offering him another contract.

John Carlson will be back due to his contract.

Charlie Johnson will be back and will start at LG next year. The Vikings are not deep at guard, but they won't be drafting one in the first three rounds. The chances that they draft an immediate starter later than that get pretty slim.

Letroy Guion will be back.

Erin Henderson will be back. Again, there just aren't many options at the position. All of the backups are essentially ST guys, Brinkley is average at best. If the Vikes draft a starting ILB, Henderson will still start at OLB.
Toby Gerhart is traded to Indianapolis for future picks...I just havent been big on Toby and he's had a fumbling issue this year. However, he is good trade bait and I believe thats what Minnesota does.
Gerhart is a completely wasted talent in Minnesota. His strength is hardnosed, downhill running, but he's running behind one of the strongest RBs to ever play the game. That's why we don't see the FB Felton ever getting the ball - because at 30 lbs lighter, Peterson is still a more effective short yardage back. Gerhart would make good trade bait.
QB- Matt Moore- 3 yrs

-As I said above, I believe this organization needs to stick with Ponder and build around him but I also believe he needs some competition so here ya go.
I think Moore would be good fit at a price the Vikings could handle. The Vikings absolutely need a veteran backup/competitor at the QB position.
Round 7

P- Ryan Allen

-Time to give Kluwe a little competition. He's great at some points and horrible at others.
Or maybe just time to give Kluwe the boot, like they did with Longwell after they drafted Walsh.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Boon wrote:Similar ones....

Oakland and Indy are in the top 10. Oakland has crap receivers. Indy has Reggie Wayne. Avery is a 5 year #3 at best.
Carolina, Steve Smith. Lafell is garbage. Olsen is beasting, I have him on my fantasy team lol
Cincinnati, now while Dalton has a beast in AJ Green the rest are rather lackluster. Gresham isn't that good. Hawkins is unreliable and very inconsistent, similar to Simpson.
Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, A, J, Green... the Vikings don't have an outside receiver comparable to those guys. They do have Harvin and IIRC, they were ranked quite a bit higher than their woeful bottom of the league ranking when he was healthy.

You have a point with Oakland, although I have to point out that both the Raiders and Colts have far more passing attempts than the Vikings (535 and 537 respectively). The Vikes have attempted 401. However, those two teams are averaging over a yard per attempt more than the Vikings so even with the same number of attempts, they'd probably have better yardage numbers.
I'm just rattling off teams that are way ahead of us in passing yardage, which isn't saying much, but that should be sitting right where we are. The difference? They have QB's who can throw. I mean cmon, Brandon Weeden has 3K yards passing this season. Who the hell is he throwing to? In the same sentence who the hell is Palmer throwing to?
In some cases, the QBs are the difference. In some, they clearly have the #1 receiver the Vikes lack and the number of attempts makes a difference in the yardage totals too. I think you have a point with a few of those receiving groups being comparable to the Vikes but even then, with Harvin out, I don't think any of them are as bad and with Harvin in, I suspect the Vikes passing yardage total would be better.
As a team we have like 2200 yards passing, that is downright horrid. If it wasn't for Adrian we would probably be fighting the '76 Bucs for the worst offense in history
We might but I'd argue that has almost as much to do with the receivers as the QB or the OC. I can't separate these elements from one another too completely because I think they've all had an impact on passing production. It's not just Ponder and that's why the numbers are so low. If Ponder had better receivers, the Vikes would have a better passing game. If the receivers had a better QB? Better passing game. If the QB had more time... well, that might not make as much difference considering the level of quality at QB and WR but I still think the numbers would be better. More aggressive playcalling in the passing game might yield better numbers but considering the personnel involved, it's not inconceivable that the stats would look even worse and that's why I can't be too hard on Musgrave.

Anyway, thanks for the list. :)
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Mothman wrote: Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, A, J, Green... the Vikings don't have an outside receiver comparable to those guys. They do have Harvin and IIRC, they were ranked quite a bit higher than their woeful bottom of the league ranking when he was healthy.

You have a point with Oakland, although I have to point out that both the Raiders and Colts have far more passing attempts than the Vikings (535 and 537 respectively). The Vikes have attempted 401. However, those two teams are averaging over a yard per attempt more than the Vikings so even with the same number of attempts, they'd probably have better yardage numbers.
In some cases, the QBs are the difference. In some, they clearly have the #1 receiver the Vikes lack and the number of attempts makes a difference in the yardage totals too. I think you have a point with a few of those receiving groups being comparable to the Vikes but even then, with Harvin out, I don't think any of them are as bad and with Harvin in, I suspect the Vikes passing yardage total would be better.
We might but I'd argue that has almost as much to do with the receivers as the QB or the OC. I can't separate these elements from one another too completely because I think they've all had an impact on passing production. It's not just Ponder and that's why the numbers are so low. If Ponder had better receivers, the Vikes would have a better passing game. If the receivers had a better QB? Better passing game. If the QB had more time... well, that might not make as much difference considering the level of quality at QB and WR but I still think the numbers would be better. More aggressive playcalling in the passing game might yield better numbers but considering the personnel involved, it's not inconceivable that the stats would look even worse and that's why I can't be too hard on Musgrave.

Anyway, thanks for the list. :)
So basically what you seem to be saying is if we were better at throwing catching and blocking wed be better at the passing game :rofl: way to put your self out on a limb :)
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Lash Man wrote:So basically what you seem to be saying is if we were better at throwing catching and blocking wed be better at the passing game :rofl: way to put your self out on a limb :)
Were you expecting some sort of great insight? ;)
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

excellent post, a lot of effort. I could live with most of the changes, like someone said earlier, i'd be surprised if they got rid of simpson, as he can be a deep threat and we haven't got a right lot else at WR. He has a (small) upside where other receivers dont.
Also only other point i'd maybe disagree with is with Barner. I dont reckon he'd go that late tbh, we'd have to snap him up earlier. I do like him though
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I hope they bring in someone better than Matt Moore to backup/compete with Ponder. Didn't the guy just get beat out by David Gerrard this offseason? Need a realistic as close to starter caliber possible QB whether or not they decide to give Ponder another shot or not.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Demi wrote:I hope they bring in someone better than Matt Moore to backup/compete with Ponder. Didn't the guy just get beat out by David Gerrard this offseason? Need a realistic as close to starter caliber possible QB whether or not they decide to give Ponder another shot or not.
I like either Alex Smith or Rivers to play a few seasons then let Ponder take over if he improves .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock: