Harvin, the Offense, and Ponder

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

tmscr
Transition Player

Re: Harvin, the Offense, and Ponder

Post by tmscr »

chicagopurple wrote:Firstly, I am beginning to think that Harvin won't be all that critical in the end because he plays like AP, throwing his scrawny skinny #### into major collisions but he is clearly NOT built to take that kind of punishment. Consequently, he will never make it through an entire season in one piece......has he ever???

Secondly, even IF he stays.....much like AP, it won't make a difference as long as we have a coach and QB who take the "short bus" to work every day.

Thirdly, we need to acquire THREE real, profesional starting Wideouts.....right now we have one really good one. That is way too easy to defeat. Look at Megatron and other teams that try to scheme with one real WR...it won't work. If we hadn't been so stupid as to let Sid Rice go, we would be infinitely better off. Instead we banked on Chicago Bears cast off trash like Berrian, Aromashadoo-doo, etc.
totally agree with the bold part.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

chicagopurple wrote: Thirdly, we need to acquire THREE real, profesional starting Wideouts.....right now we have one really good one. That is way too easy to defeat. Look at Megatron and other teams that try to scheme with one real WR...it won't work.
That must be why they are talking about Megatron breaking Jerry Rice's single season yardage record. It isn't working. Detroit certainly has issues, but I fail to see how their WR corps is one of them.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote: That must be why they are talking about Megatron breaking Jerry Rice's single season yardage record. It isn't working. Detroit certainly has issues, but I fail to see how their WR corps is one of them.
Not to pile on, but...

it also is odd to criticize Harvin's injury history and yet pine for Sidney Rice in the same post. Harvin's missed time due to injuries is nothing compared to Sid's.

Now, to reconcile, I agree that we need to make some serious moves to upgrade SEVERAL WR positions. Retain PH, and acquire 2 more solid WRs. Pick up one FA and draft Justin Hunter in the first round in April's draft.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

@ Tex Vike

Teams with just one really good reciever go nowhere....you point out Megatrons "great year"....and how about Marshalls "great year" with the Bears?? Both of those teams are crashing and burning because the TEAM will never sucede with one good reciever. yeah, its great for the one player (and they will BOTH likely leverage thisyear to leave for better teams), but it will NEVER win a championship.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Prior to tearing a ligament that ended his season this year he has missed only THREE regular season games in his entire career.
And missed time in game far more often than that with rib, ankle, shoulder...the list goes on. We went over this already earlier this year and oh boy was I out of line calling him injury prone. Well look at me now, look at me now.
The Vikings would be fools to let Harvin go.
If they let him go they likely know something we don't. (Or we do and just don't want to consider for a moment to be true). Or they have no choice because he refuses to continue to play here.
Teams with just one really good reciever go nowhere....you point out Megatrons "great year"....and how about Marshalls "great year" with the Bears?? Both of those teams are crashing and burning because the TEAM will never sucede with one good reciever.
Where would they be without them? Yeah it'd be great to have more than one good receiver. How many teams have more than that? The Falcons? Teams are winning championships with NO great receiver. Because they have a great quarterback. Put wide receiver lipstick on a pig like Ponder, and he's still a pig.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

CalVike wrote: I hope you're right. I see no logic in putting him on IR. A chance at Harvin is infinitely more valuable than whoever took his roster spot when 10-6 and playoffs are the goal. An eight week ankle sprain with no tears is beyond strange. It just does not smell right to me.
I had taken that IR decision at face value, but you're right -- a sprain that lasts two months is kind of strange, isn't it? And hasn't there been radio silence when it comes to an explanation as to exactly why this elite athlete who is not all that old could need such a long time to heal?

No, as Ricky Ricardo might say, someone has some 'splainin' to do.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DanAS wrote: I had taken that IR decision at face value, but you're right -- a sprain that lasts two months is kind of strange, isn't it? And hasn't there been radio silence when it comes to an explanation as to exactly why this elite athlete who is not all that old could need such a long time to heal?
I don't think it's an unusual situation, at least not based on what I've read about the subject. High ankle sprains take longer to heal and a grade 3 sprain (which Harvin has) involves a complete tear of the ligament. As I understand it, treatment and recovery can sometimes last months or even require surgery.

Some links on the subject:

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledg ... prain.html

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2009/0 ... ns-denver/

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprains ... sprain.htm