Forget 2K ... does AP break the record?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Will Adrian Peterson break Eric Dickerson's single-season record of 2,105 yards rushing this season?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 56

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Forget 2K ... does AP break the record?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Adrian Peterson needs to average approximately 169 yards per game to break Eric Dickerson's 19-year-old record of 2,105 yards rushing in a single season. During his amazing 7-game run, he's averaged 157.3 yards per game and seems to be gaining steam. But he does face a stout run defense in two weeks against Houston.

Make your case. Will AP do it?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Forget 2K ... does AP break the record?

Post by mondry »

I was gonna say no but you know what, screw it, I think he will! I think he'll run for close to 250 on GB, 150 on the rams, and 115 on houston to get it done.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

I think AD is one of the greatest to ever play the game, but 169 yards per game? I gotta say no. Over 100 yards is great for a running back. I think he will make 2000, but wont break the record.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I think it's possible, but not this year. Could see him breaking it in the next few though.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

unfortunately i had to say no, i think he needed to get 20-30 more yards yesterday to reduce the average he needed the rest of the season, he will get 2000 and will come close to the record, but i will be shocked if he gets it, cant wait to see how much he needs week 17 and i cannot wait to see him run extra possesed (similar to jared allen going after the record last year)
Formerly AADPFan
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

I think he's going to be lucky just to get to 2000. I see him struggling in the next 2 road games against 2 very good defenses. I'm sure Jeff Fisher will have a plan to slow him down and Houston slows everyone down. It's possible he'll need 220+ vs the Packers in the season finale just to crack 2000. I could also see Frazier and co resting him late as he gets close, if his touch count is too high. It's just the way things go with this franchise, so don't be surprised if he ends up just short in the 1950 range.

Didn't they pull him out late in the Chargers game when he was close to the single game record? I seem to remember Chester coming in and the team having to egg Chiller on to put AD back in to let him try and break the record.

Although giving him 31 touches yesterday tells me they very well might be trying to get him to at least 2000. We'll know more about that plan after we see how many touches he gets in the Rams game. The guy deserves it, that's for sure.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Boon wrote:He'll get 2k, not the record. Man if only he didn't start slow this year with those sub 100 games. if two of those games would have been like 120-130 he would break it easily
Well understandably, they had him on the baseball equivalent of a "pitch count" in those early games. And rightfully they held him out of the entire preseason, so they didn't really know how his knee would hold up. The way I look at it, is if he doesn't break the record this year he has a good shot at breaking it next year. First RB with back to back 2k yard seasons? 2000 this year and 2200 next year? Sounds good to me.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I don't know if he'll break it or even get 2,000, but I do know that if he does either it will be at home against the Packers, and I can't imagine a more perfect ending if that were to occur.

The Dome would explode with joy for him if it were to happen. Even the 50% of fans there rooting for the Pack would have to give him his due on that one.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Well, he came back from a severe injury and is playing better than he ever has. He does what he says, and he said he wants to break the record. At this point, I would not bet against him.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

While I don't expect him to get it, although I think he'll pull a Jared Allen and get VERY close in the last game, I'm surprised to see anyone say they'd be shocked of he did. Really, how can anything from this guy shock you?
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

He is so close to the record, he is really going to push for it. The Packer game will be extra special - a Vikings win & AP breaking the record :rock:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I don't think he will unfortunately, Hell, if anyone can do it, it will be Adrian though.

My heart says yes, my mind says no.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm not betting against Adrian Peterson.

All he needs to do is maintain slightly under his average two games and break off a game for 210 and he's got it.

I think he can do it. He'll need to match his season high (which he got against GreenBay @GreenBay and we'll play them again at home).

Both the Rams and Texans are pretty good against the run ... but then again, they haven't had to go up against Adrian Peterson yet this season ;)
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I created the poll, then stood back to watch. Thanks everybody for participating. Now for my opinion.

The Rams seem to be tough, especially at home. But AP has burned some really good defenses, including Seattle for 182. I don't think a 170-yard game is out of the question. A lot depends on Ponder.

The Patriots showed last night that the Texans are very average against the run without Brian Cushing. I think we're going to be surprised at how well AP fares in Houston.

He's already had a 210-yard game on the road against Green Bay, so if he's within 200 yards of the record going into that game, look out. It could be epic.

In the end, I voted my heart and said, "Yes." I honestly believe he can get it. If so, it would complete the most phenomenal 10-game stretch (at least 1,607 yards) in league history and cement his place in Canton.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

It'd be awesome if AP did get the record because that would likely lead to 3 straight wins and possible play-offs!