Vikes/Bears post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Vikes/Bears post-game thoughts

Post by losperros »

CalVike wrote:I am very happy with the win, the excellence of AD, and the defensive INTs that allowed the Vikes to win today in the absence of any offensive points other than the short 5.5 yard drive after the very first drive of the game. But I worry that this team is setting up for another heartbreaker. Many on this Board don't think this season was ever about anything other than rebuilding, but I think it was always about making the playoffs for those in the know. Zygi Wilf reportedly addressed the team on Friday for the first time all season, which indicates everything is on the line. I also honestly believe the decision makers on the team believe Ponder gives the team a good chance to win every week, far better than any other QB on the roster. Who am I to argue? They are 3-2 in the division. They have improved the team dramatically over last year. They may make a legitimate playoff run from 7-6. Both Spielman and Frazier have earned contract extensions after the season. But I cannot see how a QB, even one being asked to do very little, can lead a legitimate playoff run when he throws for 91 yards and leads only one scoring drive. Misfiring on the TD to Wright on the bomb is a disaster for any team, apparently except ours. It is notable that Cutler did not play particularly well, did not play the whole game, had WRs with the dropsies, completed only 50% of his passes, had a generally lousy game missing open WRs at times, threw two horrible INTs, and threw for 260 yards, almost three times Ponder. I cannot accept a QB who managed the game like Ponder today as acceptable on any level.

I pretty much agree with your entire post. I especially agree with you about the Vikings being an improved team over last year.

That said, I just want to add that the Vikings are 6-1 at home but a dismal 1-5 on the road. They're going to have to do far better on the road if they want to be a playoff team. I'm thinking that the upcoming games at St. Louis and especially Houston could be bad news for the Vikings.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

ponder did some good things? what were they exactly, because i didn't see any. in fact, i haven't seen him do anything good in 3 consecutive weeks. if we had an even half decent qb we would easily be leading the division.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

He completed three routine third down passes. For Ponder those are some "good things". :lol:
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Demi wrote:He completed three routine third down passes. For Ponder those are some "good things". :lol:
Yes, baby steps. Don't hate. :rofl:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

losperros wrote:That said, I just want to add that the Vikings are 6-1 at home but a dismal 1-5 on the road. They're going to have to do far better on the road if they want to be a playoff team. I'm thinking that the upcoming games at St. Louis and especially Houston could be bad news for the Vikings.
Let us also remember that the Vikings away schedule has been brutal. Waiting on tonight's results, we lost at:
9-4 Colts
8-4 Pack
8-5 Seahawks
8-5 Bears
7-6 Redskins

Right now, it looks like the top four will be playoff teams. The schedule looked easy at the season's start. It doesn't look easy now.

And now we face the 6-6-1 Rams (beatable) and the 11-1 Texans. It might turn out that we'll face 7 winning teams out of 8 on the road. Yes, as a good-great team should win a couple of these. But not with QB play as bad as I've seen this season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:He completed three routine third down passes. For Ponder those are some "good things". :lol:
Someone needs to take that particular emoticon away from you for a while before it gets worn down from overuse. That thing gets the message board equivalent of 40 carries a game. Does it need to get iced down?
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:AD good, rest of the O pretty bad.
The D won the game for us, got a few INTs.
The Bears and Cutler looked real bad.
Cutler's line is horrible, but we made them look that way, as so many other teams have done this year.

But I have a feeling that we've pretty much seen the level of progress Ponder has made, and will make, for the most part. :confused:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

With Sage, Vikes would be 9-4 or 10-3 and leading the North. How much longer will this Ponder experiment last? The guy is a joke and simply put, NOT an NFL QB.

That said, great game today by the D and AD!!!!

Go Vikes!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CalVike wrote:I am very happy with the win, the excellence of AD, and the defensive INTs that allowed the Vikes to win today in the absence of any offensive points other than the short 5.5 yard drive after the very first drive of the game. But I worry that this team is setting up for another heartbreaker. Many on this Board don't think this season was ever about anything other than rebuilding, but I think it was always about making the playoffs for those in the know. Zygi Wilf reportedly addressed the team on Friday for the first time all season, which indicates everything is on the line. I also honestly believe the decision makers on the team believe Ponder gives the team a good chance to win every week, far better than any other QB on the roster. Who am I to argue? They are 3-2 in the division. They have improved the team dramatically over last year. They may make a legitimate playoff run from 7-6. Both Spielman and Frazier have earned contract extensions after the season. But I cannot see how a QB, even one being asked to do very little, can lead a legitimate playoff run when he throws for 91 yards and leads only one scoring drive. Misfiring on the TD to Wright on the bomb is a disaster for any team, apparently except ours. It is notable that Cutler did not play particularly well, did not play the whole game, had WRs with the dropsies, completed only 50% of his passes, had a generally lousy game missing open WRs at times, threw two horrible INTs, and threw for 260 yards, almost three times Ponder. I cannot accept a QB who managed the game like Ponder today as acceptable on any level.
In a game like this one, I think you have to look at what he was asked to do and it wasn't much. Now, that may still be unacceptable. It's certainly not going to cut it over the long haul but for the most part, all Ponder did today was what he was asked to do and it wasn't much. I'm sure everyone has an opinion on why he wasn't asked to do much but personally, I think the coaches didn't see the point of asking too much from anyone in the passing game today. The receivers are nothing special, the QB is nothing special and the pass protection certainly wasn't special. The Bears are an opportunistic team so I understand why the Vikes steered away from their offensive weakness and tried not to give Chicago opportunities.

It's clear changes will need to be made in the offseason and it's also increasingly clear that they probably won't be made until then. I'm guessing we'll see several new faces catching the ball for the Vikings next year and a QB depth chart that looks different as well. I don't know if Ponder will be starting or not but I do expect to see changes.

All that aside, like you, I'm happy with the win and I think the Vikes are striving for the playoffs. :)
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

VikingPaul73 wrote:With Sage, Vikes would be 9-4 or 10-3 and leading the North. How much longer will this Ponder experiment last? The guy is a joke and simply put, NOT an NFL QB.

That said, great game today by the D and AD!!!!

Go Vikes!
Thats the truth. Both Demi and I pointed this out too earlier this season. We should have cut Webb. Then we would be in the hunt or on top because both the bears and Pack are beatable with a QB. But Spielman/Fraizer and the Wilfs know less about QBs then they do about what makes a good QB.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

what's with this love for sage rosenfels? are we really going to give ourselves 2 or 3 more wins if the guy with 12 career starts and 30 TDs/29 INTs was on the roster?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

tmscr wrote:what's with this love for sage rosenfels? are we really going to give ourselves 2 or 3 more wins if the guy with 12 career starts and 30 TDs/29 INTs was on the roster?
Considering how close some of the losses have been? And just how pathetic Ponder has been? Yes.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

tmscr wrote:what's with this love for sage rosenfels? are we really going to give ourselves 2 or 3 more wins if the guy with 12 career starts and 30 TDs/29 INTs was on the roster?
YES!!!! It's not like Ponder has been average...... He's been awful! Who throws for under 100 yards er game on a REGULAR basis!?!?!? They are 7-6 with possibly the worst excuse for an nfl QB this decade. With a semi competent QB they'd have won 2-3 more games.

It's not that Sage is great. It's that Ponder is not even backup quality in the NFL!! He's a complete joke! Sage comes close to competent.

And yes....."close to competent" vs. Ponder is worth 2-3 wins.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Demi wrote: Considering how close some of the losses have been? And just how pathetic Ponder has been? Yes.
Exactly. No one is saying he's Peyton Manning........but if he could throw for 200 and at least make a defense honest.......it would make a difference!!!