The WR thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: The WR thread

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I see no reason why the receivers can't be judged on their performance just like Ponder is judged on his performance.
Neither do I, especially in a thread called "The WR thread."

There are all kinds of threads on the board to take shots at Ponder. We have one thread about WRs and they definitely deserve some focus, given their pathetic job this year (aside from Percy Harvin).
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I see no reason
You don't? How can you judge their performance with a quarterback who is regularly unwilling, or incapable, of even getting them the ball? They can run perfect routes, get separation, get deep, beat their guy, make incredible moves, and NONE of it matters when their quarterback doesn't quit staring at Kyle Rudolph, or running at even the slightest hint of pressure....unless someone is breaking down every offensive snap to see how the receivers are doing, I see at least one big reason you can't judge them on their performance...we can see the replays when receivers get open, we can see Ponder running when there's no pressure, staring down receivers, throwing horribly inaccurate passes. Unless they start replaying every play to show Jenkins failing to get open, or someone is going to break down every offensive snap and grade them out, there are a few reasons you can't judge them like we do Ponder...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: You don't? How can you judge their performance with a quarterback who is regularly unwilling, or incapable, of even getting them the ball?
I already addressed that basic question above but...

Not every pass is uncatchable so how well are they handling the catchable throws? Do they adjust to the ball well? Do they get separation from defenders when in single coverage? How frequently? Do they cut well and get out of their breaks quickly?
They can run perfect routes, get separation, get deep, beat their guy, make incredible moves, and NONE of it matters when their quarterback doesn't quit staring at Kyle Rudolph, or running at even the slightest hint of pressure....
Agreed but are they doing those things with any consistency or regularity? No, they're not. How many incredible moves have you seen from Vikings wide receivers not named Harvin this season?
unless someone is breaking down every offensive snap to see how the receivers are doing...
I've been doing that for most of the games this season, which is why I'm pretty insistent about this. I'm not just watching the broadcasts, I'm watching the coaches film on NFL.com and paying attention to who gets open, who doesn't, etc.
I see at least one big reason you can't judge them on their performance...we can see the replays when receivers get open, we can see Ponder running when there's no pressure, staring down receivers, throwing horribly inaccurate passes.
We've also seen the dropped passes, the plays where Ponder runs because nobody is open, etc. or are those all illusory?
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

And it must be noted that in the games I've watched the commentators have mentioned the poor WR play. So it's not just our imagination. I particulalry note the game with nine drops.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

This is so funny. Realy, it is. Our receivers are not the main reason we are in the shape we are in now. Ponder is. And Fraizer. And Spielman. And the Wilf's. Put the blame on them, then move onto the D, where some players are getting payed big bucks, and aernt worth it.

Our Oline is worse then our WRs. I hope everyone knows that. They are good at run blocking. But look who they are blocking for. How many times have you seen the Oline get blown up, and mr happy feet already paniced and the play is over. How can a WR develope a play in under a second? And when they do, Ponder doesnt see them. Just cause Aikman told ya they are never open doesnt make it so. I would say PH is as good of a WR as anyone in the NFL. Why do we need a deep threat with Ponder? Just have Wringt or Devin run as fast as they can down the sideline and have ponder close his eyes and let it fly.

With a good QB (not even great, just good) we wouldnt even have this thread. We have 1 star WR, and then a buncha average ones, that if a QB threw them the ball, they may be able to catch it. Like Kyle does. That being said ofc we need a WR. But I dont trust Spielman in the FA market and he waited till teh 4th round last time.

This thread reminds me so much of the ones we used to have defending Ponder.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:This is so funny. Realy, it is. Our receivers are not the main reason we are in the shape we are in now. Ponder is. And Fraizer. And Spielman. And the Wilf's. Put the blame on them, then move onto the D, where some players are getting payed big bucks, and aernt worth it.

Our Oline is worse then our WRs. I hope everyone knows that. They are good at run blocking. But look who they are blocking for. How many times have you seen the Oline get blown up, and mr happy feet already paniced and the play is over. How can a WR develope a play in under a second? And when they do, Ponder doesnt see them. Just cause Aikman told ya they are never open doesnt make it so. I would say PH is as good of a WR as anyone in the NFL. Why do we need a deep threat with Ponder? Just have Wringt or Devin run as fast as they can down the sideline and have ponder close his eyes and let it fly.

With a good QB (not even great, just good) we wouldnt even have this thread. We have 1 star WR, and then a buncha average ones, that if a QB threw them the ball, they may be able to catch it. Like Kyle does. That being said ofc we need a WR. But I dont trust Spielman in the FA market and he waited till teh 4th round last time.

This thread reminds me so much of the ones we used to have defending Ponder.
It reminds me of that too in the sense that people seem to want to make it about Ponder... or about Frazier or Spielman or anything but what it's supposed to be about, the receivers. :)

I don't think many people are saying the receivers are the #1 reason for the Vikings struggling passing game but they're a factor in it and it's a position we should all be able to agree needs to be upgraded. Consequently, where's the controversy?

I think it's worth noting that the two most talented pass-catchers on the team, Harvin and Rudolph, have managed to rack up over 100 catches this season, despite Harvin playing in only 9 games. Adrian Peterson has 36 catches too, more than any of the active WRs. I realize the more talented players have been targeted more often but even though Ponder's shortcomings as a passer are still on display when throwing to these players, they've all managed to get open, make catches and be productive. Maybe the poor production we've seen from Simpson, Jenkins and Aromashodu has a little more to do with talent than some fans are willing to acknowledge. Heck, Wright has 11 catches in 3 games. That's just 3 short of Simpson's total for the 8 games he's appeared in this season.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I realize the more talented players have been targeted more often but even though Ponder's shortcomings as a passer are still on display when throwing to these players, they've all managed to get open, make catches and be productive. Maybe the poor production we've seen from Simpson, Jenkins and Aromashodu has a little more to do with talent than some fans are willing to acknowledge.
And how much of it has to do with the team actually sending them down field where Ponder can't accurately throw the ball? As opposed to 1 yard screens and checking down to Rudolph. Earlier this year his average pass through the air was like two and a half yards once you figure in yards after the catch. How often are they using those outside guys on those type of routes? They're not running bubble screens to Jenkins or maybe he'd have more receptions too. :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:And how much of it has to do with the team actually sending them down field where Ponder can't accurately throw the ball?
I'm sure the number of targets, type of routes they're asked to run, etc. are a factor in their production. My point was that their ability is as well. I think when you compare Wright's production in 3 games to Simpson's production in 8, that becomes evident.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Looking at our likely draft position (mid to late) and the current rankings of WR prospects, it seems to me that we should have a shot at the top rated receivers. I just watched some videos of Keenan Allen (Cal) and Justin Hunter (Tennessee). Working with admittedly very little data on which to base an opinion, I get the impression that Hunter is potentially a special talent. If it weren't for his knee, he'd likely be a top 15 or so prospect. He's 6' 4" 205 lbs. Looks fast and sure handed. Might we repeat our fortune w/ Percy and AD of snagging a special talent that has slipped due to injury/character concerns?

Keenan Allen looks less impressive to me, but Cal seems to use him in a manner that would match Musgrave and Ponder's tendencies. Lots of bubble screens and short crossing routes. He's a big dude too (6' 3", I think) so perhaps he can also run long routes well.

Thoughts?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Wake up and smell the proverbial coffee, Edward. The QB isn't the only offensive player on the Vikings that's stunk it up for a good portion of the 2012 season.
So I woke up and smelled it on Sunday and, after another Sub-100 yard performance by Ponder I'm not sure it smells any different.

I will give Ponder credit for what I saw him do well. He generally seemed to hang in the pocket better and he threw a nice ball to Aroma that should probably have either been caught or drawn a flag, but he also threw another one of his patented terrible interceptions, a jump pass, and attempted a throw-away while being sacked that could easily have been flagged for grounding or even called a fumble the way it came out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:So I woke up and smelled it on Sunday and, after another Sub-100 yard performance by Ponder I'm not sure it smells any different.

I will give Ponder credit for what I saw him do well. He generally seemed to hang in the pocket better and he threw a nice ball to Aroma that should probably have either been caught or drawn a flag, but he also threw another one of his patented terrible interceptions, a jump pass, and attempted a throw-away while being sacked that could easily have been flagged for grounding or even called a fumble the way it came out.
... and only one of those things has anything to do with the subject of this thread. :) It was a mixed performance by Ponder but on the pass to Aromashodu, he did exactly what everybody wants him to do under pressure, stepped up, set his feet, threw a very nice pass, gave his receiver an opportunity and... the receiver didn't make the play. He didn't even get his hands on the ball.

Did you see anything from the receivers yesterday that suggested Ponder left a bunch of opportunities to complete passes on the field? From what I saw, they basically had the same kind of game he did. They made a few plays when called upon but they weren't asked to do much and they didn't do much.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Case in point:

The Aroma throw was all on the WR, ball was where it needed to be.
The INT to Wright was all on the QB. Ponder missed an open WR because of bad mechanics that resulted in a INT instead of a TD.

Consistency is Ponder's problem. I do not know how or if he will fix it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mansquatch wrote:Case in point:

The Aroma throw was all on the WR, ball was where it needed to be.
The INT to Wright was all on the QB. Ponder missed an open WR because of bad mechanics that resulted in a INT instead of a TD.

Consistency is Ponder's problem. I do not know how or if he will fix it.
1 throw makes your point? Guess how many of those Marshall missed in Denver, when the defender didnt have his arm between him and the ball. There should have been PI called. And yeah it should have been caught. Want me to list the overthrown balls to wide open receivers or post the great catchs Kyle has made (when Ponder throws his way, which isnt often enough)?
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

at least his overthrows were not turned into td's like cutlers. ponder and cutler have almost identical stats this year, not that its a good thing. but some people are believe that cutler is elite when over half of his passing yards are to marshall. just goes to show how important a big, physical WR can be.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: 1 throw makes your point? Guess how many of those Marshall missed in Denver, when the defender didnt have his arm between him and the ball. There should have been PI called. And yeah it should have been caught. Want me to list the overthrown balls to wide open receivers or post the great catchs Kyle has made (when Ponder throws his way, which isnt often enough)?
There must be a dozen threads about Ponder. Can we please make this one about the wide receivers? I know there's a relationship between QB and WR so it's not like Ponder's name shouldn't be part of the discussion. I'm just asking if we can focus on WRs in this one thread. For example, if we keep talking about the pass to Aromashodu or the pass to Wright, can we focus on what the receivers did on those plays?

If we don't make a point of doing that, I fear this will just degenerate into another complaint fest about Christian Ponder and we already have plenty of those.