The WR thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: The WR thread

Post by akvikingsfan »

Texas Vike wrote: I doubt it. Youtube started in 2005, the same year Williamson was drafted.

Furthermore, what do you mean to imply with your (apparently) snarky comment? That fans shouldn't bother looking at actual video footage of college players to form an opinion? Better to simply read the experts' opinions and filter all of your thoughts through draft gurus?
You are correct YouTube did start in 2005. I was using the term YouTube in reference to online highlight videos. Which were around before then. And I wasn't implying that fans shouldn't look at actual video at all. We should. It was more of a reminder that highlight films are made to make a player look good. I do not listen to the draft gurus at all. Yes they have experience but its not always safe to buy into what they're selling. Further, I have actually watched Allen (Cal) and Hunter (Tenn). I have been impressed with both and think they would both be an assist to our team. However, college is way different than the NFL and not all good college plays (who have good highlight reels) transition to the pros well. If we drafted either of them I would be ecstatic. Sorry if my previous comment came off more snarky then I had meant for it to.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

akvikingsfan wrote:
You are correct YouTube did start in 2005. I was using the term YouTube in reference to online highlight videos. Which were around before then. And I wasn't implying that fans shouldn't look at actual video at all. We should. It was more of a reminder that highlight films are made to make a player look good. I do not listen to the draft gurus at all. Yes they have experience but its not always safe to buy into what they're selling. Further, I have actually watched Allen (Cal) and Hunter (Tenn). I have been impressed with both and think they would both be an assist to our team. However, college is way different than the NFL and not all good college plays (who have good highlight reels) transition to the pros well. If we drafted either of them I would be ecstatic. Sorry if my previous comment came off more snarky then I had meant for it to.
There we go. Some substantial discussion about potential 1st rd. WRs. Which of the two do you think fits better w/ the Vikings?
Glad you think they'd be good picks. I wasn't blown away by either, but I thought the kid from TENN looked solid, though I wonder about his speed post-injury.

BTW, The videos I watched weren't highlight reels. They were just compilations of receptions by each during various games this year. No adrenaline pumping music or slick editing. Just film of catches.

So what exactly happened w/ Troy stone-hands Williamson? Did he actually know how to catch in College only to forget as a pro? I admit that I didn't pay too much attention to college ball until the year my Longhorns beat USC for the title.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Did you see anything from the receivers yesterday that suggested Ponder left a bunch of opportunities to complete passes on the field? From what I saw, they basically had the same kind of game he did. They made a few plays when called upon but they weren't asked to do much and they didn't do much.
They seemed to catch most of the passes thrown their way. I saw separation. Made some tough catches. Got open deep.

Let's take that last one...

Second game in a row that Ponder had a guy open deep. Against the Packers, that was AD. Against the Bears, it was Wright. Both times, ball comes out late, bad mechanics on the throw, too much air, comes up short. A better, more timely throw and it's 7 both times and that single throw puts Ponder well over 100 yards for the game. But in both cases, the Vikes don't get points, and in one case, it results in an INT. Down-distance and situational awareness are lacking. There is no reason for Ponder to put up a deep ball like that on 1st-and-10 late in a game unless he knows he can hit it.

OK, OK, this is turning back into a Ponder bashing, but I can't help it. To your question, once again, the WR's could have done *more* with a competent QB throwing them the ball.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Second game in a row that Ponder had a guy open deep. Against the Packers, that was AD. Against the Bears, it was Wright. Both times, ball comes out late, bad mechanics on the throw, too much air, comes up short. A better, more timely throw and it's 7 both times and that single throw puts Ponder well over 100 yards for the game. But in both cases, the Vikes don't get points, and in one case, it results in an INT. Down-distance and situational awareness are lacking. There is no reason for Ponder to put up a deep ball like that on 1st-and-10 late in a game unless he knows he can hit it.
Since he'd thrown a nearly perfect deep ball to Aromashodu earlier in the game and since he hit Wright on a similar throw at home against the Lions, he probably thought he could hit it... and he can when he makes a mechanically sound throw. The choice to throw that pass wasn't the problem. The good news is that Wright was open on the play and Ponder recognized it. Maybe they'll connect on it next time.
OK, OK, this is turning back into a Ponder bashing, but I can't help it.

You can do it! Use the Force. :)
To your question, once again, the WR's could have done *more* with a competent QB throwing them the ball.
They could have done more anyway. Wright dropped a pass and Aromashodu didn't even make a play on a well-thrown deep ball. It's not all about the QB, and that's been true all season.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Balls, you guys JUST INSIST on talking about Ponder!

Here's another attempt to get back on topic: Larry Fitzgerald.

Apparently his dad is given to airing his gripes on the Twittersphere and was livid after AZ's blowout loss to SEA. Larry Sr. wrote of Jr.'s time in HS when a similar blowout occurred and he moved him to another HS. If he were my dad I'd ask him to tone it down... Junior's a grown man now! But if we could land Fitz we'd be in business. Is there any chance?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Balls, you guys JUST INSIST on talking about Ponder!
That's why I tried to bring it back around to Wright being open on the INT play. It's encouraging that he's showing an ability to get behind defenders. He's done it a few times now.
Here's another attempt to get back on topic: Larry Fitzgerald.

Apparently his dad is given to airing his gripes on the Twittersphere and was livid after AZ's blowout loss to SEA. Larry Sr. wrote of Jr.'s time in HS when a similar blowout occurred and he moved him to another HS. If he were my dad I'd ask him to tone it down... Junior's a grown man now! But if we could land Fitz we'd be in business. Is there any chance?
I'd say there's a slim chance but he'd probably cost a LOT in trade if the Cardinals were willing to trade him at all. It would certainly be nice to have him catching passes for the Vikings.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: That's why I tried to bring it back around to Wright being open on the INT play. It's encouraging that he's showing an ability to get behind defenders. He's done it a few times now.
I'd say there's a slim chance but he'd probably cost a LOT in trade if the Cardinals were willing to trade him at all. It would certainly be nice to have him catching passes for the Vikings.
I would love it if the Vikes got Fitz but Fitzgerald signed an eight-year, $128.5 million deal with the Cardinals in August of 2011. He's under contract in Arizona until 2019, when he will be 36 years old.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: That's why I tried to bring it back around to Wright being open on the INT play. It's encouraging that he's showing an ability to get behind defenders. He's done it a few times now.
And we have to remember that Wright is a rookie who hasn't played all that much in pro ball yet. As long as the Vikings keep an open mind about Wright and allow him to be more than a backup slot receiver, he should keep getting better.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Larry Fitzgerald - WR - Cardinals

Larry Fitzgerald said Monday he wants "to continue to play" for the Cardinals.

The woeful quarterback play in Arizona has lead many to suggest Fitzgerald should demand a trade. That's not his style. Fitzgerald has never publicly criticized his quarterbacks even though they've targeted him 134 times this year and completed just 57 of those balls. Over the last four weeks, Fitz has totaled six catches for 37 yards and no touchdowns. He signed an eight-year, $120 million contract in 2011.
Source: Associated Press
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Larry Fitzgerald - WR - Cardinals

Larry Fitzgerald said Monday he wants "to continue to play" for the Cardinals.

The woeful quarterback play in Arizona has lead many to suggest Fitzgerald should demand a trade. That's not his style. Fitzgerald has never publicly criticized his quarterbacks even though they've targeted him 134 times this year and completed just 57 of those balls. Over the last four weeks, Fitz has totaled six catches for 37 yards and no touchdowns. He signed an eight-year, $120 million contract in 2011.
Source: Associated Press
As much as I'd love to see Fitz in purple, I have to hand it to the guy. Fitz has loyalty, good social skills, and class.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Good posts on Fitz; it would cost us way too much to trade for him and then to pay him.

We need to find blossoming talent that doesn't yet demand huge contracts... which is why I think we draft a WR in the first rd. this year. Hunter or Allen?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

It's going to cost enough just to land a top-flight FA WR. It would be ridiculous what it would cost to get a guy like Fitz who is signed.

This draft doesn't look great for WR talent. There are some top-tier guys who can help, but nobody who really jumps out at you.

Vikes are probably going to have to go FA to address WR this offseason and maybe hope Childs comes back 100%. I was actually intrigued by Childs. He reminded me a lot of Randy Moss in terms of how he ran and went up to get the ball. I wouldn't count on him as a #1 without seeing a lot more from him, but he's in that mold if he can get over the injury issues.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I agree, with Harvin’s looming contract I suspect any FA WR pickup will not get top tier dollars. They cannot have AP + PH + FA guy getting monster $$$ if they want to maintain a competitive roster. I do not think we’ll end up going WR in the 1st round only because I do not think the guys worthy of that pick will be around when we draft. I’d love if they could get T’eo from ND at LB, but I doubt he’ll fall to us. I really think we’ll go DL in the 1st round as I think we’ll draft BPA and that is a strength of this draft. I could also see them dealing for more picks. A lot can change between now and April though.

I really hope Childs has a few of whatever AP has been drinking and comes back from that injury. He is exactly the kind of WR we need physically. At this point I think that is an unlikely outcome though.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote:I agree, with Harvin’s looming contract I suspect any FA WR pickup will not get top tier dollars. They cannot have AP + PH + FA guy getting monster $$$ if they want to maintain a competitive roster. I do not think we’ll end up going WR in the 1st round only because I do not think the guys worthy of that pick will be around when we draft. I’d love if they could get T’eo from ND at LB, but I doubt he’ll fall to us. I really think we’ll go DL in the 1st round as I think we’ll draft BPA and that is a strength of this draft. I could also see them dealing for more picks. A lot can change between now and April though.

I really hope Childs has a few of whatever AP has been drinking and comes back from that injury. He is exactly the kind of WR we need physically. At this point I think that is an unlikely outcome though.
You're right that a lot can happen between now and April, but as of now most predictions have what are believed to be the top two WRs (Allen and Hunter) going towards the end of round 1, precisely where we will be picking.

DL does look like a strength in this year's draft, but I believe it is one of our few strengths. I think we have to draft at least 2 solid WRs in the first 4 rounds. On top of that, I'd bring in one mid-range FA and most of all make sure you get PH locked up.

Edit to add: T'eo won't last past pick #5.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Texas Vike wrote:
There we go. Some substantial discussion about potential 1st rd. WRs. Which of the two do you think fits better w/ the Vikings?
Glad you think they'd be good picks. I wasn't blown away by either, but I thought the kid from TENN looked solid, though I wonder about his speed post-injury.

BTW, The videos I watched weren't highlight reels. They were just compilations of receptions by each during various games this year. No adrenaline pumping music or slick editing. Just film of catches.

So what exactly happened w/ Troy stone-hands Williamson? Did he actually know how to catch in College only to forget as a pro? I admit that I didn't pay too much attention to college ball until the year my Longhorns beat USC for the title.

I would prefer Hunter. He is a big guy. Has great hands (from the 4 games I watched this year and the multiple games I saw last year). He will go up and fight for jump balls. He will be a big target in the red zone. I think he will be able to stretch the field due to his ability to out jump defenders.

In regards to the film that you watched, did it also show their drops or was it just catches? A lot of these videos only show the good and not the bad. Hence my problem with them.

Troy Willamson was fast enough in college that a lot of times he would be so far open that there was no pressure. When he got to the pros he was still fast but not as open. He still had a lot of drops in college, if you look at his stat line I'm not sure what the staff saw in him to draft him.