Percy Harvin placed on IR. Season over.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

tmscr
Transition Player

Re: Percy Harvin placed on IR. Season over.

Post by tmscr »

losperros wrote: You seem to be in a hurry to get rid of Harvin. That's interesting in itself. Even so, here's looking at your reasons to send him packing:

1) Your take: Injury concerns.
My take: Harvin isn't all that big and he gets banged up. OTOH, Harvin usually can play through the injuries and it doesn't negate the fact that he's a stud.

2) Your take: You don't believe he's all in.
My take: I'd be willing to bet that it's more important what Harvin believes about that. You probably don't know. Neither do I. He does.

3) Your take: Contract year.
My take: The Vikings need to pay him for his worth, which correctly translates to big money. Check any other star NFL player's salary in the league about that dynamic.

4) Your take: The team needs a lot of parts.
My take: They also needs playmakers. There is no way to wiggle out of that one. Harvin is an offensive machine and a proven force on the field. If the Vikings can work something out with him, they absolutely have to do it. The notion that acquiring two or three average players will compensate for losing a great player simply isn't valid. Great playmakers are few and far between. Average players are littered all over the NFL. If a team has enough average players and too little playmakers, they usually watch the playoffs on TV during the offseason.
the only reason anyone should be "in a hurry" about moving harvin is because the vikings lose more and more leverage as time goes by. i don't know how harvin feels, but i do know that he was unhappy about certain things in the offseason. maybe those things have been worked out, and maybe they haven't. we already have the best playmaker in the league, not to say that having two isn't awesome, but how else do you propose we shore up the weak areas? we need a QB number 1, are we going to take a chance on someone in the first round again? are we going to trade for one? what do we have to offer to get a decent QB through trade? again, the only two ways to make this team SB caliber is through the draft and trades/signings. draft picks take time to develop (and are risky) and we have to have something of value to trade.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:They need more, but they are closer than it looks. This defense can keep games reasonable, they just do not get any help from the offense. If average TOP was 50/50 or more likely in our favor with AP running the clock, I think our unit would look even better than it has. They are not complete by any means, but who in the league is? I submit that if Ponder was just average we'd be 3-1 in the division and would be in the discussion for a home playoff game. QB is holding us back, not defense.
We'll have to disagree to some extent about the defense. I agree that the QB and the offense have held the Vikes back at times and I'll even agree that if Ponder had been better on Sunday the Vikes would be 3-1 in the division. However, the defense has repeatedly hurt the Vikes this season, particularly with breakdowns late in games. I realize fatigue and offensive struggles may have something to do with that but I'm not willing to attribute so much of the responsibility to the offense that I can let the defense off the hook. They let Jacksonville back in it late in week 1 and the offense bailed them out. They let Indy close out the game in week 2. Tampa Bay and Washington rolled over them and Seattle and Green Bay were able to chew clock and close out close games. They didn't look very good against the Bears either. The defense has to improve to become championship caliber. Otherwise, in a postseason situation, we're likely to see the same frustrating breakdowns and inability to get off the field at crucial times.
I dissagree on the speedster thing. I think Harvin IS our speedster, Musgrave just isn't using him that way. (My guess is this is a QB concern) I think what is lacking is a guy who can go up and make the grab, a guy who makes his QB better. Rudolph can do this, but I think they need it on the outside as well.
That's why I wrote deep threat, not speedster. :) Harvin's fast and he can make some plays deep but because he's not a taller outside receiver who will go up and make many grabs downfield. I don't think he's the kind of deep threat they need. They need someone with the height and speed to challenge deep, out-leap safeties, etc. They need a bigger receiver on the outside who can make that fade in the corner of the endzone a deadly play. Harvin's not that guy. I don't expect them to get Moss in his prime or the next Megatron but right now Aromshodu, Jenkins and Simpson are their best best to make those kind of plays and that's not nearly good enough.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:FWIW, Jarius Wright is a burner as well. That said, I think Jim means an outside threat that is also a deep threat as well. So it would be helpful if the guy who can go up and make the grab could also get downfield, since both needs are there on this team.
Exactly!
Actually, I think there are some WRs coming up in the draft that cover all the basics mentioned, including making their QB better by making plays.

This is what I've been saying about Harvin. The guy makes plays happen. The Vikings need more of that from their WR corps.
Exactly (again). It's a two way street. The QB needs to help his WRs and make them better but the WRs need to do likewise and too many of the Vikes receivers don't do that.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I think everyone, beat writers and fans are reading way too much into this. He's hurt, it's worse than they thought. It happens.

I'll worry about him again if/when he holds out.
Well said.

My biggest concern here is the fact that Percy Harvin is injured for the season. That's bad news for him and the team.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I'd pay Harvin as a top 15 WR, because that's what he is. Height, size, don't care, the guy PRODUCES at a high level, despite having Mcnabb and Ponder throwing to him the last 2 years. He can get deep much like a desean Jackson gets deep. No he won't out leap anyone but as we've seen he'll be open by a yard with his flat line speed.

If we had a Dwayne Bowe to go along with Rudolph you could send Harvin deep over the middle more often and that would help a lot with our quick strike ability. Right now you can't because Harvin's also the safe option to get open underneath heh.

In other words, I think there are two ways to go about it. 1. Get a randy moss type who's a big target and can also get deep, let percy dominate the short / intermediate stuff. Not disagreeing that is probably our best option, but those WRs don't exactly grow on trees. or 2. get a miles austin / dwayne bowe type who CAN get deep but their strength is good route running, providing a decent sized dependable target in the short / intermediate passing game, letting Harvin expand his role as a deep threat.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The bad thing when it comes to paying Harvin top 10 or top 5 money is that you need both a decent QB _and_ another decent WR before he can really be used effectively. The other WR, maybe. But I doubt very much that both things will happen in the next couple of years.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Eli wrote:The bad thing when it comes to paying Harvin top 10 or top 5 money is that you need both a decent QB _and_ another decent WR before he can really be used effectively. The other WR, maybe. But I doubt very much that both things will happen in the next couple of years.
thank you! someone gets it.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Its sad to see Percy on IR, but there are some positives:

1. They will almost certainly go 6-10, leading to a better draft pick
2. Percy can heal his ankle, and won't beat up the rest of his body.

If I were GM:

1. Trade Jared Allen. I said the same thing last year, and that would have been selling high. They won't get more than a 3rd rounder now, but it would still be worth it.
2. Trade KWill.....I love the guy, but he's getting up there. And with the current QB situation, the Vikes won't be ready to compete for at least 3 years.
Maybe get a 3rd rounder
3. Trade Winfield.love the guy, but he's getting up there. And with the current QB situation, the Vikes won't be ready to compete for at least 3 years.Not sure of his contract status, I think they have him for 1 more year. If so, Maybe get a 5th rounder?
4. Annoint Ponder the starter for entire 2013 season
5. Bench AD and Harvin for the entire 2013 year. Pay them to sign autographs, etc. before the game to keep fan interest.

This would be a good start. We would go 0-16 in 2013 and get the 1st pick...hopefully there will be a franchise QB that draft and then we can start with a new team when the new stadium opens!!!!!!!!!!

Flame away, but this is the best plan LONG TERM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Its sad to see Percy on IR, but there are some positives:

If I were GM:

1. Trade Jared Allen. I said the same thing last year, and that would have been selling high. They won't get more than a 3rd rounder now, but it would still be worth it.
2. Trade KWill.....I love the guy, but he's getting up there. And with the current QB situation, the Vikes won't be ready to compete for at least 3 years.
Maybe get a 3rd rounder
3. Trade Winfield.love the guy, but he's getting up there. And with the current QB situation, the Vikes won't be ready to compete for at least 3 years.Not sure of his contract status, I think they have him for 1 more year. If so, Maybe get a 5th rounder?
5. Bench AD and Harvin for the entire 2013 year. Pay them to sign autographs, etc. before the game to keep fan interest.

This would be a good start. We would go 0-16 in 2013 and get the 1st pick...hopefully there will be a franchise QB that draft and then we can start with a new team when the new stadium opens!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, you so silly!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Putting a bow on Percy Harvin's season
Plenty of virtual ink was spent this week trying to figure out the "real reason" why Minnesota Vikings receiver Percy Harvin was placed on injured reserve this week. It was difficult to believe that a sprained ankle could ultimately cost a player as tough as Harvin nearly half the season, and remains so, but no reliable explanations have surfaced from either the team or the player.

Harvin Was Dangerous After Catch
Percy Harvin, whose season ended Wednesday when he was placed on injured reserve, had the second-most yards after catch by a wide receiver this season.

So as the week wraps up, let's leave this issue on a football note. Harvin was at his open-field best in the nine games he played this season, so much so that his performance remains the league standard even after a month away from the field.

As the chart shows, Harvin's average of 8.5 yards after the catch on his 62 receptions remains the league's best. In gross terms, he's only 2 yards off the pace of New England Patriots receiver Wes Welker, who has played three additional games and has 30 more receptions.

In addition, Pro Football Focus (PFF) credited Harvin with causing 22 missed tackles by opponents this season. That remains the league's best among receivers and tight ends, and there are only nine running backs in the league with more.

In short, Harvin demonstrated this season just how much value he can add to an offense. Yards after the catch and missed tackles are, for the most part, generated by the individual. Whether he is lined up at receiver, running back or as a kickoff returner, Harvin has an exceptional ability to find the open area of the field and move through it. Whether it is vision or instinct, he always knows where to run.

There is no doubt Harvin produced a couple of quixotic moments this season as well, from his trade request during minicamp to some choice sideline words for coach Leslie Frazier shortly before his Week 9 injury. A friend of mine recently compared Harvin to the Hugo "Hurley" Reyes character from "LOST." Weird things seem to happen around him, but on the whole, I would think the Vikings saw enough positives this season to enter into contract extension talks this offseason.

That's just a guess, but Harvin seems too talented to give up on. And he's still only 24 years old. Some of the NFL's best players require intense maintenance, and in Harvin's case I would think it would be worth the trouble.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ins-season
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Its sad to see Percy on IR, but there are some positives:

If I were GM:

Maybe get a 3rd rounder

This is the most pathetic thing i've ever seen!!! Sure trade Allen but we wouldnt get any value for winfield or for Kevin because they are old. You really think that anyone would go to a vikings game if Percy and Adrian were out? ? ? You really think Adrian or Percy would like being benched ? How about Greenway and other vikings players? What would they be playing for if their best players are out ?
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:Putting a bow on Percy Harvin's season
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ins-season
Yeah, exactly what I mean by pay him top 15 money. He's missed 4 whole games and still 15th in receptions, still played with Ponder at QB with our 32nd ranked pass offense. Think about that, the guy is essentially the best at what he does and his supporting cast is SO BAD that we're 32nd in the league. We HAVE to keep Harvin, we could have the 2nd coming of Randy moss on this team and we'd still be screwed without more help at WR, it's THAT bad!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mondry wrote: Yeah, exactly what I mean by pay him top 15 money. He's missed 4 whole games and still 15th in receptions, still played with Ponder at QB with our 32nd ranked pass offense. Think about that, the guy is essentially the best at what he does and his supporting cast is SO BAD that we're 32nd in the league. We HAVE to keep Harvin, we could have the 2nd coming of Randy moss on this team and we'd still be screwed without more help at WR, it's THAT bad!
Harvin's talent is unquestionable. However, my fear is that this is the ceiling of his production. I don't think he can be used as heavily as he has been without getting injured. If you want him a full season he needs less touches and because of the nature of his style of play he needs those touches almost like a running back to be at his peak effectiveness.

Regardless, I don't think the Vikings are in much of a position to be picky. They need Harvin and they'll have to (and should) pay for him.