Christian Ponder: Man on an island

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Christian Ponder: Man on an island

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: I can't speak for anybody else but I rarely even think about Ponder's draft position unless someone brings it up here. Once he was drafted, that mattered very little to me. It was a sunken cost, reach or not. From the Vikings point of view, I don't think it's draft investment that keeps Ponder in the lineup so much as the investment of time and energy, which is based on their evaluation of him and their belief that he could do the job. Regardless of what fans think of Joe Webb, the Vikings have evaluated what they have in Webb and they clearly didn't (in the spring of 2011) and don't believe he has a future as their starting QB. If they did, Ponder may not have been drafted in the first place.
How come Webb didn't get that many starts then? What is is about Ponder, apart from his draft position, that explains why he's still being given so many opportunities? Webb is bigger. He's the better athlete of the two. He has a stronger arm. The Vikings drafted him to play WR but kept him at QB. They must have evaluated something in Webb that led them to do that. But Webb isn't 22 starts into his evaluation, while the arguably less talented Ponder is. If you can explain that in terms other than the amount invested in the draft, I'd love to hear it.
Mothman wrote: Anyway, after investing time and effort into developing Ponder, it seems they want to fully evaluate him before deciding to pull the plug. That's my take anyway. He's in there because they're continuing to evaluate him and hopefully, because they still think he gives them the best chance to win. Maybe they're holding onto some slim hope that he can be their future QB and maybe not.

One thing to remember: the investment in a first round QB isn't what it used to be and Ponder's contract guaranteed him $10 million. If the Vikes feel they need to move on, they can cut him without suffering a debilitating impact on the salary cap.
That's great, but Spielman and Frazier can't cut him without suffering a debilitating impact on their reputations and their plan to improve the Vikings. They have placed all their eggs in the Ponder basket, and there is no way they can move past that without getting those eggs all over their faces if this doesn't work out.
Mothman wrote: "Supposedly"? You tend to post that as if you think it's nothing but empty rhetoric. Other than Harvin, do you think this is a good group of receivers by NFL standards? Look at it objectively, if the Vikings were playing a team with Simpson, Jenkins, Wright, Aromashodu, and Burton at WR, would you be particularly concerned about that group of receivers? Do you think opposing defensive coordinators are very concerned? They're an easy group to contain and not just because of the quarterback.
Well, they aren't world-beaters, but neither are they as bad as they're being made out to be. To receive, the ball has to be put into the air. A receiver can fight for a ball and maybe come down with it, but no receiver can catch a ball thrown into the ground, floated way over his head, thrown out of bounds, thrown late, or not thrown at all. I'd argue that the receivers aren't even being given a fair shake most of the time because Ponder won't release the ball, and when he does it requires circus-like efforts to catch if it's even catchable. The WR's are taking a beating because the QB can't read them coming out of breaks and get the ball there accurately and on time. He locks on to one guy and if that guy isn't WIDE open he won't throw it. It's crazy. It's inexcusable at this level. I've never actually witnessed QB play this bad in the pros honestly.

Put Ponder on a team with "much better" WR's and he'd manage to make them look bad too.
Mothman wrote: That said, I'm not sure we should interpret the Vikings continued support of Ponder as an indication they believe he's their franchise QB. They may just be playing him at this point because they're determined to evaluate him based on an entire season's performance and to decide if he should be kept and demoted or simply cut. We don't know. They're not blind to the fact that he's playing poorly and for all we know Spielman may be putting together a list of QBs to target in the offseason.
If Spielman isn't coming up with a Plan B at this point he should be fired.

As for Ponder's continued play, I say they're as good going with Webb or MBT as Ponder at this point. Assuming they lose to the Bears and Ponder continues to play the same, there is no reason to continue playing him other than for Spielman and Frazier's pride.
Mothman wrote: I've seen nothing that suggests the Vikings think the problem is coaching/receivers/offensive line and not Ponder. If you listen to Frazier's comments, he's obviously aware that Ponder is playing poorly.
OK, then, Frazier should show that with actions. Frazier's job is to put the team first. Not Ponder - the team. By continuing to play a guy who clearly isn't capable of getting it done he's not putting the team first. While it appears everyone is OK with that right now, that can't last much longer. Certainly not with those WR's who are getting excoriated in the press as sub-pros, or the offensive linemen who were taking a lot of heat up until recently, or the defense that is getting raked for giving up long drives late in games when they are gassed because the offense can't stay on the field. Everyone wants to put this guy on their shoulders and carry him. It's impressive that so many people seem to like him and believe in him, yet in looking at it, I can't see why other than that's what they want to do.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Tjoke (With Vikings): 20 starts 354/603 58.7% 24 TD 22 INT 3984 YDS
Ponder: 22 starts 398/675 59% 27 TD 24 INT 4158 YDS

Last year starting 14 games for Seahawks Jackson had 79.2 QB rating. This year after 12 games Ponder has 79.4.

eerie.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Demi wrote:Tjoke (With Vikings): 20 starts 354/603 58.7% 24 TD 22 INT 3984 YDS
Ponder: 22 starts 398/675 59% 27 TD 24 INT 4158 YDS

Last year starting 14 games for Seahawks Jackson had 79.2 QB rating. This year after 12 games Ponder has 79.4.

eerie.
Tjoke all over again. Oh boy...
tarken10
Practice Squad

Post by tarken10 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: They both travel a lot for there jobs I bet they haven't even seen that much of each other. This has nothing to do with his play all though the media would have you believe it does because they're looking for a story.

Brady being married to a super model hasn't effected his play.
The media didn't have me "believe" anything, I can see his problems on the field are mostly mental, and the fact that he has been growing a relationship to the point of engagement from september till now is too much of a coincidence for me to ignore. It's a lot on the young man's mind, wether they physically "see" each other or not.

Brady and supermodels have nothing to do with it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

tarken10 wrote: I can see his problems on the field are mostly mental, and the fact that he has been growing a relationship to the point of engagement from september till now is too much of a coincidence for me to ignore. It's a lot on the young man's mind, wether they physically "see" each other or not.
Hogwash. When you go to work that stuff isn't in your head. Especially when you're doing something as intensely physical, precise and distracting as football.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:How come Webb didn't get that many starts then? What is is about Ponder, apart from his draft position, that explains why he's still being given so many opportunities?
As I said, it's based on their evaluations of both players. If they thought Webb deserved to start, they probably wouldn't have drafted Ponder in the first place. If you want a more specific answer than that, you'd have to ask the Vikings. Clearly based on their actions, they saw something in Ponder they don't see in Webb.
If you can explain that in terms other than the amount invested in the draft, I'd love to hear it.
I thought I did. :) The chicken and the egg are clear in this situation. Ponder's not starting because they spent a first round pick on him. They spent a first round pick on him because they thought he could be the starter. They had Webb and either didn't think he was the right guy to get that opportunity or didn't feel he was anywhere close to ready for it.
That's great, but Spielman and Frazier can't cut him without suffering a debilitating impact on their reputations and their plan to improve the Vikings.
Sure they can. They've more or less taken that hit already and at this point, I don't think either is in danger of losing their job over choosing Ponder. It might be strike one but it's no worse than that. If they stick with him for another year or two and it doesn't work out, and if they don't have a good back up plan in place for that contingency, that would actually be far more debilitating to both their reputations and the franchise.
Well, they aren't world-beaters, but neither are they as bad as they're being made out to be. To receive, the ball has to be put into the air. A receiver can fight for a ball and maybe come down with it, but no receiver can catch a ball thrown into the ground, floated way over his head, thrown out of bounds, thrown late, or not thrown at all. I'd argue that the receivers aren't even being given a fair shake most of the time because Ponder won't release the ball, and when he does it requires circus-like efforts to catch if it's even catchable. The WR's are taking a beating because the QB can't read them coming out of breaks and get the ball there accurately and on time. He locks on to one guy and if that guy isn't WIDE open he won't throw it. It's crazy. It's inexcusable at this level. I've never actually witnessed QB play this bad in the pros honestly.
We'll just have to disagree on that point. All I'll say is that the receivers are definitely a part of the problem.
OK, then, Frazier should show that with actions. Frazier's job is to put the team first. Not Ponder - the team. By continuing to play a guy who clearly isn't capable of getting it done he's not putting the team first. While it appears everyone is OK with that right now, that can't last much longer.
Frazier obviously understands that. He basically said so this week.

By the way, it's entirely possible that they don't have a guy who is capable of getting it done.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

People who are clamoring for Joe Webb right now are not convincing me that they know something I don't.

For one, if Ponder IS truly horrible and the team IS truly sunk, then playing him only improves the draft selection.

On the other hand, if Ponder does turn it around and show improvement, then they won't have to clean house and start over again next year, halfway through what is already a rebuilding process.

If Webb was worthy of starting, and from the times I've seen him play, he's made me fairly certain that he has a place as a backup or option/gimmick quarterback in the league...the team would be starting him. Frazier doesn't want to lose his job, and if he was sure that Webb could win him games and he could keep his job, Ponder would have been benched during the Chicago game (at least).

Here's another thing to think about...if the only weak point on the Vikings has been the quarterback position (with the exception of one fine year from Brett Farve), and one quarterback after another has tried and failed in this system with (most) of these players, couldn't it be possible that maybe the system and the players around the quarterback aren't really all that good?

After all, Denny Green had 3 extremely good wide receivers, and as a result, even Jim McMahon looked good on the Vikings. Even Jeff George. And that offensive line, with Randall McDaniel, Steussie, Christie, Birk (later on), Dixon, Stringer...that line had no weaknesses. It had a fair balance of maulers and quickness, and both of the maulers were pretty quick, saavy players, too. If you were to plug any of these last few quarterbacks the Vikings have been running out there...Jackson, Webb, McNabb, Ponder...how much better do you think they'd be?

The team is halfway through a rebuild. The defense has holes, the offense has bigger holes (that receiver corps is PUTRID, and at this point I'd only keep Kalil and Sullivan out of that line if I were Spielman). And who knows, maybe a pretty good quarterback hits the free agency market next year and the Vikings appear to be a good spot to them (maybe they can poach Flynn away from Seattle? Fingers crossed, even though Seattle's GM still has grudges against the Vikings). You never know. Because next year's draft, if Barkley isn't in it, probably isn't going to be a great quarterback draft. Even then, the best quarterback in the draft is probably Matt Stafford-ish.
-Rus
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Here's another thing to think about...if the only weak point on the Vikings has been the quarterback position (with the exception of one fine year from Brett Farve)
"Fine"? He had the best stats of his hall of fame career and was one throw across his body from a super bowl. If the talent level this entire time has been this pathetically bad how did any QB much less a "washed up" Brett Favre manage to do what he did?

Offensive ranks since Childress took over, Pts/Yds: 26/23, 15/13, 12/17, 2/5, 29/23, 19/18, 18/22.

If it wasn't just the QB position how does top flight QB play take us from never cracking the top 10, to a top 5 offense in one season?
Jackson, Webb, McNabb, Ponder
McNabb was done. And it was clear the years before. Ponder, Webb, and Jackson don't even crack the top 32 quarterbacks in the league. That's the problem. Not just quarterback play, but have the worst QBs in the ENTIRE league during this time!
After all, Denny Green had 3 extremely good wide receivers, and as a result, even Jim McMahon looked good on the Vikings. Even Jeff George. And that offensive line, with Randall McDaniel, Steussie, Christie, Birk (later on), Dixon, Stringer...that line had no weaknesses. It had a fair balance of maulers and quickness, and both of the maulers were pretty quick, saavy players, too. If you were to plug any of these last few quarterbacks the Vikings have been running out there...Jackson, Webb, McNabb, Ponder...how much better do you think they'd be?
Jim McMahon had a 76.2 QB rating. Averaged 164 yards a game, 9 TD to 8 INT.
George 94.2 (Cunningham 79.1) And that was with 2 of the top 5 wide receivers in the history of the game along with those offensive lines.

Recent history with Favre, Manning, even Vick his first year. Points to the QB mattering more than vice versa. When is the last time a bad QB got a ton of talent and then played significantly better then they had at any point before?

I hope if they do try to address the QB positions they don't try another Kolb/Flynn/backup shows flashes situation.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

bottom line is this team is a mess. all of those past qb's, george, cunningham, favre, johnson, or mcnabb weren't drafted and labeled "the future franchise qb." that is the difference here, and its a big one. like i said, drafting ponder set the vikings back at least 3 years, maybe more. it won't be until halfway through next season before someone even admits they messed up royally.