Do you actually enjoy Vikings football?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 49

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It may seem like a silly question but really think about it: do you enjoy watching and following Vikings football? I'm asking because there's so much anger, frustration and negativity flying around this board at times that I really wonder if some of the people posting actually enjoy following the team or if it's all anger, frustration and venting for them.

I enjoy being a Vikes fan, despite the heartache involved. I enjoy it even in a losing or .500 season, even when the team raises my hopes and then dashes them. I don't enjoy those disappointing moments but I really like following the Vikes and I can get excited about the little things like a good block or tackle.

I don't want any good fan/bad fan talk in this thread and if someone follows the Vikes but just isn't enjoying the experience much (or at all) that's okay too. I'm not judging, just wondering. The point of the thread is to ask the question and, if the answer is "yes", to remind people to stop and "smell the roses". We all need to vent at times but even when the team is on a losing streak and is at .500, there are aspects of the games to enjoy.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Do you actually enjoy Vikings football?

Post by Texas Vike »

Legitimate question.

My brothers and I often feel condemned as Vikings fans. We enjoy watching the games and following the team's moves in the off season. We live in remote corners of the world, so it also serves as a sort of glue. There is nothing more enjoyable than to be together at the holidays and watch a game w/ a pint of Surly or Summit and a fire going.

Unfortunately, the Vikings have also been a consistent source of major disappointment for all of us. it's a very unique kind of disappointment--special to the Vikes.

I don't interpret the anger here as complaining just to complain. It matters to many that they do well, thus the criticism. Thus, the intolerance for players that just ruin an otherwise solid game against a rival that we absolutely HATE, in their annoying stadium in front of their uncouth, obese fans... (feel my anger? I'm half joking).

You are probably right that some of us need to keep an eye on the silver lining. We have gone beyond expectations this year. No denying that.

Having said all that, I can't really vote yes or no! It depends on when you ask me!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Legitimate question.

My brothers and I often feel condemned as Vikings fans. We enjoy watching the games and following the team's moves in the off season. We live in remote corners of the world, so it also serves as a sort of glue. There is nothing more enjoyable than to be together at the holidays and watch a game w/ a pint of Surly or Summit and a fire going.

Unfortunately, the Vikings have also been a consistent source of major disappointment for all of us. it's a very unique kind of disappointment--special to the Vikes.

I don't interpret the anger here as complaining just to complain. It matters to many that they do well, thus the criticism. Thus, the intolerance for players that just ruin an otherwise solid game against a rival that we absolutely HATE, in their annoying stadium in front of their uncouth, obese fans... (feel my anger? I'm half joking).

You are probably right that some of us need to keep an eye on the silver lining. We have gone beyond expectations this year. No denying that.

Having said all that, I can't really vote yes or no! It depends on when you ask me!
That's exactly the kind of carefully considered, honest answer I was hoping to see in this thread. :) Thanks!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I love watching Vikings football. It breaks my heart everytime they lose no matter what their record was coming in to the game, or what the expectations were leading up to the game.

At work, the people who work for me always joke that they can tell if the Vikings win or lose by my mood every Monday. It's been a bad month for those people 8)
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I love watching Vikings football. It breaks my heart everytime they lose no matter what their record was coming in to the game, or what the expectations were leading up to the game.

At work, the people who work for me always joke that they can tell if the Vikings win or lose by my mood every Monday. It's been a bad month for those people 8)
LOL! My old roommate you used to leave our apartment on Sunday afternoons because he couldn't deal with my uncontrolled mood swings during Vikings games. I still remember him coming home after the Vikings lost to the 49ers in the game where Steve Young made that aggravating run of 50 yards or so through most of the Vikes defense. That stupid play still shows up on TV all the time. Anyway, my roommate saw the mood I was in and decided to go hang out at his girlfriend's place for the evening rather than deal with my brooding.

I'm much calmer now, although I said some pretty bad words when Ponder threw that pick in the endzone after AD's great run early in the second half on Sunday. :)

Overall, I'm like you. I love watching the Vikings. It doesn't always go as I would like but I love it anyway.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Without question. I'll even watch the unwatchable games until the bitter end. I think a lot of fans handle their passion differently. Some cry. Some fume. Some shrug. I'd make the case the fans that are so negative have as much or more passion for the team and take the losses and performance personally. They just haven't reached the "acceptance" level in the stages of grief you must pass through in order to be a Vikings fan. 8)

There's a lot of pain, but also intense windows of joy. It's like being in any relationship, it takes equal parts patience and work.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Absolutely. Watching and following Vikings football is the highlight of my week. I couldn't dream of following a different team than the vikes. Even if they lose, they always put a good product on the field. I would love to watch the rebuilding of the team, and I cant wait for the day that we are world champions
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I would assume alot that post here are aware of the let down we call the Vikings. I love them too much. Wish i was a bit more like my dad. He lived through the SB years, and still will watch a game or 2 and not get upset even pretty much knowing the outcome.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

I haven't missed a game in Since 1996. When the Vikings are on the world stops and i am in front of my tv. Iwill die a Viking fan. As for enjoyment I always enjoy it. Even through the rough years its still fun to chat about the Vikes on Facebook, with friends in real life, and here with you guys. I totally love listening to Kfan all day about the Vikings. I don't know what I would have done had the Vikings moved. Thanks to Ziggy I won't ever have to find out! :v):

I will admit at age 38 I don't take it so serious anymore. I think that has a lot to do with age but the Vikings will always be apart of my life no matter what. I just hope they win a Super Bowl before I die. :wallbang:
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

I do agree though about wondering if some people enjoy it at all. It does seem all NFL Fans just want to tear everything down. Think it has to do a lot with Talk radio etc. Seems negative press gets more attention.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I love it, I have a lot of minnesota pride in general and the vikings are my favorite MN team. That's not to say I don't get angry or upset or frustrated at certain things, if I didn't care there would be no need for those emotions. At the end of the day though, everyone involved with the Vikings is trying to do their best and some have essentially dedicated their lives to football. It's my job to support them and hope for the best which is easy to do some times, harder to do others.

You're damn right I enjoyed that 82 yard Peterson TD, despite the loss, how could you not!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I love the Vikings. In fact, the best times in my life occur when I get to bond with my father when we go see the Vikings play in the Metrodome. My dad always hoped one of his three sons would be a Vikings fan so he could share a common interest with one of us. It just so happens to be that I was the only Vikings fan out of my brothers.

I can honestly say that the Vikings are my only true love in my life, no matter how pathetic that sounds! :lol:

I guess what I am sick of is watching this team underperform every year. I have never liked any of our coaches since I have been a fan. I just want to see a complete Vikings team just once.

I will never quit on this team because without the Vikings, I am nothing.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Tark10
Starter

Post by Tark10 »

Been a die-hard fan since 1972. The straw that broke the camels back for me was the playoff game 1/10. I've had a tough time trying to get excited about this organization the last couple of years. I think Ponder will continue to develop. A top quality receiver acquisition this last off season would have turned my head some. I'll watch a game on occasion but not as I once did.
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

It's frustrating, that's for sure. With investing yourself in anything will come heartbreak eventually. I love my vikings, and I watch them rain or shine, no matter what. That one season every 10 years or so when they are spectacular is what I live for, and there's nothing quite like it. It just makes all the suffering from the bad seasons that much more tolerable.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Eh, it's football. It's not good football, but it's better than watching women's basketball.