Who should our starting QB be for 2013?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who should our starting QB be for 2013?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:14 am

Christian Ponder
24%
Joe Webb
12%
Alex Smith
32%
Michael Vick
8%
Mark Sanchez
1%
Matt Flynn
4%
1st round rookie
5%
Veteran Starter (Moore, Skelton, Cassel, Kolb, or Henne)
3%
Younger guy (Gabbert, McCoy, Clausen, Mallett)
1%
Other (name the guy)
9%

Total votes: 75

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Who should our starting QB be for 2013?

Post by Mothman »

You have a knack for creating polls that lack the answer I want to select. :)

I chose "other" because frankly, I don't know who should be starting next year and I wasn't nuts about the veteran possibilities on the list. My gut says it should probably be someone who isn't currently on the team, possibly a rookie, but I don't necessarily think it has to be a first round rookie. I'm not sure which veterans will be available and for all I know, Ponder will snap out of this funk and make a case for himself (although that seems very unlikely).

I know this much: it shouldn't be Vick!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Ugly QB class. But we are at a point where I don't even think Frazier will be back. I think a new coach comes in, a few veterans get traded, and 2016 is when we finally make our run for the super bowl.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote:I listed a ton of names, basically everyone I could think of that could possibly be available other than older guys like Leftwich, Hasselbeck types. I may very well have missed somebody, but if you didn't see someone you liked that is not my fault. That's the reality. There are no mystery guys standing behind the curtain, the QB's that could play in Minnesota are in the public eye right now. If you're frustrated by the available names that's the dilemma that will face the Vikings this offseason, because that is who we have to choose from. And while I don't really follow college football, I hear this year's class has no "elite" types. The one thing that is clear, is that there is no easy or obvious solution to the Vikings QB spot for 2013.
Relax, I wasn't finding fault. I was just amused that every time you create a poll, the option I want isn't available. For example, I would have picked "rookie" if it had been an option but you qualified it by specifiying "1st round rookie" and I don't necessarily think it needs to be a first round rookie.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

I don't care who it is but you have to bring in a veteran this offseason via trade or FA. I still think Ponder is the future. I think the kid will be alright once he gets a little WR help. But it's going to be hard to get any FA WR's if its just Ponder. We have to get this qb situation figured out! This team is so close and It makes me sick that we haven't gotten it figured out yet!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I voted other but have no one in mind.

Who the hell voted for Sanchez? :wallbang:
lol

No it wasnt me.
gbal4
Practice Squad

Post by gbal4 »

I would get Kyle Orton from Dallas guy has a great arm and is not afraid to throw the football. Who ever we get will be better than ponder :evil:
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

Why wasn't Favre on the list? :wink:
Seek and Destroy
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Pepper2Moss »

I chose Smith of the options above. If Phil Rivers can have a bounce back, I'd take him over all of the above. I'm not sure if he can or not though.
JBrowner47
Rookie

Post by JBrowner47 »

The only reason Philip Rivers would leave sunny San Diego for frozen Minnesota would be for Adrian Peterson. Oh Kyle Rudolph and Percy Harvin are nice to throw to as well. Rivers has clearly suffered since LT left the team. But he would have someone even better in AP. He would have a legit tight end in Rudolph and Harvin at WR. But I also think he's a bit of a hot head and could lose us games just because of that. I prefer Smith since he's become the NFL's elite game manager and couldn't we use a cool, level headed guy who doesn't make mistakes? Right now that sounds good. And he's 28 too. So he ain't Brett Favre old.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Alex Smith. Always liked the guy and he is only 28/29 years of age. He could easily be our QB for 6 to 7 seasons. We would just have to make sure to fire that DUMB #### Bill Musgrave before we signed him otherwise Alex would revert to his 2005 form.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

I wouldnt mind adding vick to the roster and letting him compete for qb. I think we could run a simple of enough system to keep his int down, our o-line is better than eagles so that should help for injuries and turn overs, not to mention he will see alot more 8 man fronts thanks to a.p. dont get me wrong he wont have his mircale season like with philly but i think he could do anything ponder can but better.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

allday1991 wrote:I wouldnt mind adding vick to the roster and letting him compete for qb. I think we could run a simple of enough system to keep his int down, our o-line is better than eagles so that should help for injuries and turn overs, not to mention he will see alot more 8 man fronts thanks to a.p. dont get me wrong he wont have his mircale season like with philly but i think he could do anything ponder can but better.
I went with Vick as well. I think he's better than the Sanchez/veteran starters listed. And maybe more likely to be cut depending on how his contract is set up. Would the 49ers even want to trade Smith? And I don't think it'd be worth it to give up much of anything for a veteran stopgap guy.

Either way we need to draft someone somewhere in the draft. The three bums on the roster can all leave/be cut and the team would be better off for it...
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Ponder because I'm tired of seeing the Vikings simply cycle through QBs.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

All of those guys suck except for maybe flynn, but since he couldn't even get a starting gig while signing a big contract I have my doubts he'd be worth a trade.

I think they might have to go the russel wilson route, keep on improving the team but use a 3rd round on another QB to bring in.

IF they truely think webb would be worse than ponder then our Backups need to improve.