Who should our starting QB be for 2013?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who should our starting QB be for 2013?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:14 am

Christian Ponder
24%
Joe Webb
12%
Alex Smith
32%
Michael Vick
8%
Mark Sanchez
1%
Matt Flynn
4%
1st round rookie
5%
Veteran Starter (Moore, Skelton, Cassel, Kolb, or Henne)
3%
Younger guy (Gabbert, McCoy, Clausen, Mallett)
1%
Other (name the guy)
9%

Total votes: 75

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Who should our starting QB be for 2013?

Post by Mothman »

smoothoperator wrote:alex smith would not be much of an improvement over ponder. we should have shelled out the money for peyton
Peyton had no interest in playing for the Vikings. That was never a viable, realistic option for the Vikes.
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

hahaha i know, it was a joke. in all seriousness, ponder is awful and im not sure what we can do to fix it
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

smoothoperator wrote:hahaha i know, it was a joke. in all seriousness, ponder is awful and im not sure what we can do to fix it
All they can do is keep working with him, improve the quality of the outside receivers, improve the interior of the line so he has a pocket to step into more often and then hope for the best. Ponder has had some good games and some awful games this season so there's hope that he can be better. It's slim hope but there's hope. :)

I think a lot of the reaction to yesterday's QB performance is just frustration with another low yardage total and a dumb (but harmless) interception. However, I'm not willing to put the majority of the blame for that approach on Ponder. The game plan was clearly to run the ball and use a few short passes to keep the chains moving. Under those circumstances, with that playcalling, Ponder wasn't going to put up impressive numbers unless his receivers made some big plays. They didn't.

The reasoning behind the game plan is open to interpretation. Did they think that was the best way to defeat the Bears? Did they lack confidence in Ponder, in their receivers ability to make plays, or both? Were they concerned about pass protection?

I have no answers but I'd say all of the above is possible.
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

im with ya there. just have to try and build his confidence and the team around him. im not dissapointed with the pick yesterday, clearly musgrave wanted the play to go deep and it was before the end of the half and protection broke down within seconds.

we just really need to get a big, physical WR to help change things, but at this point i am not sure anything, or anyone can help ponder unfortunately
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

smoothoperator wrote:im with ya there. just have to try and build his confidence and the team around him. im not dissapointed with the pick yesterday, clearly musgrave wanted the play to go deep and it was before the end of the half and protection broke down within seconds.

we just really need to get a big, physical WR to help change things, but at this point i am not sure anything, or anyone can help ponder unfortunately
I share your concern. He might just be "broken"... or maybe he never had what it takes in the first place.

We'll see... I want them to get that big outside receiver no matter who plays QB. The Vikes have to seriously upgrade their WR situation next season.
Last edited by Mothman on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote:Moore would give us some good years ..

I really wanted Orton a few years back, but we went T Joke and then Farve
Yeah Favre took them to one play away from a Super Bowl appearance and Orton has done so well that he is sitting on a bench where :?: God 20/20 vision is a wonderful thing.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Boon wrote: Niners haven't exactly had ridiculous wideouts in his tenure there. To be quite honest he is IMO the EXACT QB model Frazier is looking for. He doesn't make many mistakes. Has deceptive speed, decent arm. He is the epitome of a game manager, and can turn it up when he needs to. Took him a while but he is starting to come into his own. The benching is a completely political move by the niners organization. They tried hard to get manning last year, and Smith was kind of pissed about that, rightfully so. The concussion was the excuse Harbaugh has been waiting for. Kap is his dude, not smith.

The game that sticks out to me the most is last years playoff game vs the saints. Best game i've seen in years and he played remarkably down the stretch. He's due almost 8 mil next season and I don't think they want to give that much to a backup. He can be had for probably a third and I would jump all over that. This team deserves better, he would be an awesome fit in purple.

And he's only 28
You make some good points and if they just want a game manager, he'd probably be fine but I think they should aim higher, especially if he'd cost much in trade. I agree with you about his playoff performance against the Saints. He was very impressive in that game.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

the sad thing is there isnt a single choice on this list who would be Worse then Ponder ( with the exception of the Moral Failure that Vick would represent)......I still wonder if we got a really epic QB coach, would Ponder be salvagable? But then, who am I kidding, our Vikes will NEVER spend good money on ANY great coach......
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

All of these options (the realistic ones) make me want to puke. Might as well ride the Ponder train for another year.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I have watched enough football over the years and realize that especially at the QB position it often times takes several years to develop. Ponder, after no training camp last year, was thrown into the fire with a crappy team that had a horrible set of WR's and an equally bad offensive line. This year he is stuck with the same problem of crappy WR's and a very poor O-line (in regards to pass protection)
There is absolutely no argument here that he at times has struggled horribly and has played like crap. I have seen enough positive from him to believe that he still WILL develop into a good quarterback.
I could not care less what the rest of the board feels towards him or any of the talking heads I still believe.
I did go back and pulled up some interesting stats that support my belief. Here are a few of the All-Pro, some Super Bowl QB's that started off their careers as badly or worse than Ponder has.

Year
Team
Player
Comp %
Yds/G
TD
INT
Record
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Patriots
Drew Bledsoe
49.9%
5-7
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 1965
Jets
Joe Namath
48.2%
3-5-1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1989
Cowboys
Troy Aikman
52.9%
0-11
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Giants
Phil Simms
50.6%
6-5
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________11983
Broncos
John Elway
47.5%
4-6
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Steelers
Terry Bradshaw
38.1%
3-5
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chargers
Dan Fouts
44.8%
0-5-1
Giants
Eli Manning
48.2%
1-6
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1999
Eagles
Donovan McNabb
49.1%
2-4
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________1985
Eagles
Randall Cunningham
42.0%
1-3
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Purple bruise wrote:I have watched enough football over the years and realize that especially at the QB position it often times takes several years to develop. Ponder, after no training camp last year, was thrown into the fire with a crappy team that had a horrible set of WR's and an equally bad offensive line. This year he is stuck with the same problem of crappy WR's and a very poor O-line (in regards to pass protection)
There is absolutely no argument here that he at times has struggled horribly and has played like crap. I have seen enough positive from him to believe that he still WILL develop into a good quarterback.
I could not care less what the rest of the board feels towards him or any of the talking heads I still believe.
I did go back and pulled up some interesting stats that support my belief. Here are a few of the All-Pro, some Super Bowl QB's that started off their careers as badly or worse than Ponder has.

Year
Team
Player
Comp %
Yds/G
TD
INT
Record
Patriots
Drew Bledsoe
49.9%
5-7
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 1965
Jets
Joe Namath
48.2%
3-5-1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1989
Cowboys
Troy Aikman
52.9%
0-11
Giants
Phil Simms
50.6%
6-5
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________11983
Broncos
John Elway
47.5%
4-6
Steelers
Terry Bradshaw
38.1%
3-5
Chargers
Dan Fouts
44.8%
0-5-1
Giants
Eli Manning
48.2%
1-6
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1999
Eagles
Donovan McNabb
49.1%
2-4
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________1985
Eagles
Randall Cunningham
42.0%
1-3
Thank you for the stats. This is ponder's first full year as a starter and he is still making those rookie mistakes. As your post shows, almost every QB starts off with a struggle. I think ponder still has a chance to improve, and it will definitely help when we upgrade our WR core. I feel like sticking with ponder is a risky move, and I'm still caught in the middle of whether to let him go our not. But this is how life goes, risks have to be made at some point.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

acousticrock wrote:I think the Vikes will stick with Ponder a little longer...
but if they look for a vet to start or compete next year, I hope they'd make a play at Carson Palmer.

If Carson Palmer really becomes available (and he'd restructure his contract), he'd be the QB I'd go for. He totally made the Bengals a contender a few years ago (even during all of their legal issues). I'd take him over Vick, Smith, and Romo.
I think we need to stay away from veterans. With Favre, we had 1 great year but then we went back to sucking the next year. I know I've said this a lot but we need to look long term. At least Smith, Vick, and Romo are younger guys than palmer. I'm telling you guys, if we keep picking up young guys we can have a Super Bowl in the next ten years.
ADMVP & CCHOF
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Dark wrote:I think we need to stay away from veterans. With Favre, we had 1 great year but then we went back to sucking the next year.
I agree. Though "veterans" aren't always old geezers like Favre. :o
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

dead_poet wrote: I agree. Though "veterans" aren't always old geezers like Favre. :o
True. Although we went nowhere with McNabb either. My point is, veterans aren't good for a rebuilding team.
ADMVP & CCHOF
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Dark wrote: True. Although we went nowhere with McNabb either. My point is, veterans aren't good for a rebuilding team.
Yeah Denver is hatin life right now.