Im Done With Ponder

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

gbal4
Practice Squad

Re: Im Done With Ponder

Post by gbal4 »

I agree with the fans dissapointment with Ponder who is terrible I wonder is there a way to get Ryan Mallet from the Patriots give the Patriots Toby Gearhart and cash and get a REAL Qb who can throw the football. The vikings already have 2 rookie wideouts from Arkansas in Jarius Wright and Greg Childs and Mallet knows these kids :thumbsup: Well anyway one can dream of having a good team
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Message delivered:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Lesl ... 120312?t=2
Are the Minnesota Vikings giving consideration to benching struggling quarterback Christian Ponder?

After a season of making it clear the Vikings would not replace Ponder with backup Joe Webb, coach Leslie Frazier seemed to leave the door open ever so slightly for a change to be made a day after the Vikings' 23-14 loss at Green Bay.

"If things get to a point where your number one (quarterback) is really costing you some situations that could preclude winning you do have to do what's best for the football team," Frazier said Monday. "That's always the case, it's always about what's best for the team.

"Up to this point, I felt it's been best for our team that Christian remains our number one quarterback. I still feel that way. But every position you need those guys to continue to progress and continue to improve. He knows that as well as every position on our team."
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

^^^ blah blah blah. Garbage coach speak. They make changes at the absolute wrong times...if Ponder had just started last year and tanked the way he did (starting week 6/7) they would have gotten a new QB. If not Luck/RG3 we could have at least known to go with Webb.

1.) His rolling to the left, body twisted, and eyes staring across his body are honestly some of the worst QB mechanics I've ever seen. It's like he's watching McNabb's tape from last year.

2.) Frazier has to tighten up the D and we need to get a speed rusher. It's all cute and everything when the two slowest white guys in the NFL get a sack here and there but man I'd kill for an Aldon Smith or Von Miller type.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Here's some more messages being delivered, because while Frazier wants to paint things out like the team is holding together, blame will be apportioned at some point if the passing game doesn't pick up.

This is all from http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 75941.html
You'd think you'd be able to do anything you want [in the passing game] with a guy rushing like that week in and week out," Jenkins said. "But it just hasn't materialized for whatever reason. I don't know if we have to narrow down the pass offense or what.
I mean, I don't want to make it sound bad," said rookie receiver Jarius Wright. "But never in my life have I been part of something like this.
I guess you have to do the obvious thing, which is to throw it a little more," said Aromashodu, who was targeted once and didn't catch a pass.

"I guess we maybe should take [advantage] of the opportunities. We tried to get the receivers involved. But it just didn't work out today.
Remember the play where Ponder was trying to throw to Rudolph and Burnett intercepted it? That play right there is what is wrong with Sub-100 because the camera followed Rudolph the entire time. Rudolph runs his route well and comes out of his break. If the ball reaches him at that point or within about a second of him coming out of the break he's wide open and might even be able to turn it up for a few more yards before Burnett or any other Packer can get to him. But Sub-100 doesn't throw it then. No, he waits until Burnett has had time to close the gap and even get in the passing lane. *That's* when Sub-100 decides to throw it.

The deep ball to AD was also a late throw. Say what you want about Sub-100's arm, but if that ball comes out as AD breaks deep it's an easy throw and score. Waiting for AD to clearly come open, though, makes the throw nearly impossible to complete in stride.

Most of the time Sub-100 doesn't even release it, but when he does finally decide to let it fly, it's generally too late. Most of the WR's, if you pinned them down, would probably say the same thing. Sure, they're not getting massive separation, but they are running their routes and they are open for moments and, if they're going to contribute, Ponder has to let it go.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

gbal4 wrote:I agree with the fans dissapointment with Ponder who is terrible I wonder is there a way to get Ryan Mallet from the Patriots give the Patriots Toby Gearhart and cash and get a REAL Qb who can throw the football. The vikings already have 2 rookie wideouts from Arkansas in Jarius Wright and Greg Childs and Mallet knows these kids :thumbsup: Well anyway one can dream of having a good team
If Belichek is willing to make that deal I'd walk away. That would say more about Mallett's future than any evaluation possibly could.

Belichek knows when a QB has it. That's why he let Cassell walk instead of Brady.
JBrowner47
Rookie

Post by JBrowner47 »

I would like to see Webb in as well, but if he starts stinking it up you can't just throw in Ponder either. This isn't like in baseball where you put in a reliever and no grudges are held. You have to stick to your guns like Harbaugh even if Kapernick starts losing the plot. The eye test tells me he's better than Smith, but what happens if others start figuring him out? You think Smith will be happy as if nothing ever happened when he comes back in? I think the damage is done which could be to our advantage since I think he'd fit our team very well. But the message here is that when the decision is made that's it. No coming back.

Having said that put anyone else in, lets see if it sticks. My eyes tell me Ponder ain't the one for us. The Niner game was his Super Bowl.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

VikingLord wrote:If Belichek is willing to make that deal I'd walk away. That would say more about Mallett's future than any evaluation possibly could.

Belichek knows when a QB has it. That's why he let Cassell walk instead of Brady.
Meh. When was the last time Belichick hung on to any quarterback except Tom Brady? When was the last time he had to?
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

NextQuestion wrote:^^^ blah blah blah. Garbage coach speak.
Frazier is becoming quite adept at spewing the cliches and doublespeak, isn't he? May as well interview the water boy for all it's worth.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote: Frazier is becoming quite adept at spewing the cliches and doublespeak, isn't he? May as well interview the water boy for all it's worth.
This constant criticism of coaches at pressers is ridiculous. It's a press conference. All coaches say this stuff all the time. I'm convinced there's nothing Frazier (or any coach) could say that would satisfy the people looking for any excuse to rip the guy.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm not done totally, but i think the Vikings should inform him that if he can't move the ball one of the other QB's will come in.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

for all you Ponder apologists, having second string receivers does NOT make you chronically underthrow your target, it doesnt make you habitually have stupid throws to wide open CORNERBACKS in the endzone, it doesnt make your mechanics in throwing and such look like a HS QB. The Ol has been a bit better. The pressure hasnt been aweful lately.

YES, he doesnt have a single WR who would start on any contender BUT Ponder only magnifies all this with his incompetency. Moreover, given the opportunity he has he should be showing improvement over the season. He has only REGRESSED, meaning he is incapable and his coaches are useless to develop a QB.

Lastly, our WR DO sick. Aromashadu is a peice of garbage cast-off from the Bears...the BEARS!!!...they only have one real WR and he couldnt make the cut there...of course he sucks....the GM was stupid to take him. He is just a worse version of Berrian.....we built our WR corp out of the trach heap of teams with bad WR's....pathetic.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

chicagopurple wrote:for all you Ponder apologists, having second string receivers does NOT make you chronically underthrow your target, it doesnt make you habitually have stupid throws to wide open CORNERBACKS in the endzone, it doesnt make your mechanics in throwing and such look like a HS QB. The Ol has been a bit better. The pressure hasnt been aweful lately.

YES, he doesnt have a single WR who would start on any contender BUT Ponder only magnifies all this with his incompetency. Moreover, given the opportunity he has he should be showing improvement over the season. He has only REGRESSED, meaning he is incapable and his coaches are useless to develop a QB.

Lastly, our WR DO sick. Aromashadu is a peice of garbage cast-off from the Bears...the BEARS!!!...they only have one real WR and he couldnt make the cut there...of course he sucks....the GM was stupid to take him. He is just a worse version of Berrian.....we built our WR corp out of the trach heap of teams with bad WR's....pathetic.
Your exactly right. On another team, our wr's may be average, but ponder makes them look like they suck! The only time ponder can throw an accurate pass is when the reciever is within 10 yards. If its any farther than that, it is either an uncatchable ball or it is intercepted. Once we are in the redzone, we cant pass the ball. Both of ponders interceptions on sunday were in the redzone. Its just to much of a risk. And for gods sake, we have the best running back in the league!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: This constant criticism of coaches at pressers is ridiculous. It's a press conference. All coaches say this stuff all the time. I'm convinced there's nothing Frazier (or any coach) could say that would satisfy the people looking for any excuse to rip the guy.

... and I'm convinced you're right. I actually think he's pretty open and honest in his press conferences. They aren't just empty rhetoric and question-dodging.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

^^^ Frazier is the epitome of cliche' pressers. "We will do what we have to do to win the next football game. The guys battled and it didn't pay off. We will review the tape and look on to our next game against X".

It's funny that people think Aromashodu is a scrub. He's our big play outside WR and Cutler wanted him to stick around in Chicago. Say what you want about Cutler but at least he can throw it.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.