Time of Possession

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Time of Possession

Post by S197 »

On 6 out of the first 7 Viking possessions, the offense went three and out. The 8th possession was sustained, however, ended in an interception. The only drive I'm excluding is the long TD run by Peterson (which in terms of TOP was like a 3 and out, took 1:27).

While the defense was far from perfect, this is very telling to me. There simply isn't a defense in the NFL that can stay on the field that long and not be expected to wear down.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Time of Possession

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It's absolutely amazing.

Adrian Peterson rushes for 210, and we lose TOP by 38:30 to 21:30.

Cut Ponder.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:It's absolutely amazing.

Adrian Peterson rushes for 210, and we lose TOP by 38:30 to 21:30.

Cut Ponder.
How many other QBs throw for half the yardage their HB rushes for? :lol:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Demi wrote:How many other QBs throw for half the yardage their HB rushes for? :lol:
CONSISTENTLY!!! Not just one time... it has happened many times!!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Mothman wrote:Here's the flip side:

They allowed GB to hold the ball for over 11 minutes on their first two drives alone, putting themselves behind the TOP eightball right off the bat.
And in between those posessions, the Vikings were on the field for 1:23. TOP has to go somewhere, if your offense isn't on the field, it's going to the other team.
The 3-and-outs by the offense definitely make things harder on the defense but I don't think they're a sufficient explanation for the disparity in TOP.
I think that's a bit of an understatement. When 6 of your 7 possessions are 3 and out's, your defense is on the field and you're not moving the football thus giving up field position. It's a cumulative impact.

The Vikings had a 45 second drive to illustrate how little time they were on the field. The Packers came on the field and the Vikings defense did a great job of diagnosing a trick play then picking off Rodgers. The Vikings offense trotted back on the field, ran another 3 and out and punted. The net result of all of that was a 9 yard gain for the Packers. How is that the fault of the defense? They're on a shorter field despite getting a turnover. Are they expected to perform well under those circumstances?

Granted, the first possession was disappointing and it seems Green Bay always seems to come out strong on their first series against this defense but by the 4th quarter, it was the Vikings offense that was unable to stay on the field and give their defense any rest. I don't even see how that's up for debate. Like I said, TOP has to go somewhere. If your offense is putting together 1 and 2 minute drives, TOP is going to the other team.

The Vikings had a total of one good sustained drive, the TD to Rudolph, which was early in the game. Everything before and afterwards was just poor execution, which negatively impacts the defense.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Why is it even arguable that Ponder was the reason it was 39 to 21? He was beyond abysmal. It's not worth the effort to throw this toward the defense IMHO. Sometimes it is what you think it is.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: And in between those posessions, the Vikings were on the field for 1:23. TOP has to go somewhere, if your offense isn't on the field, it's going to the other team.
I think that's a bit of an understatement. When 6 of your 7 possessions are 3 and out's, your defense is on the field and you're not moving the football thus giving up field position. It's a cumulative impact.

The Vikings had a 45 second drive to illustrate how little time they were on the field. The Packers came on the field and the Vikings defense did a great job of diagnosing a trick play then picking off Rodgers. The Vikings offense trotted back on the field, ran another 3 and out and punted. The net result of all of that was a 9 yard gain for the Packers. How is that the fault of the defense? They're on a shorter field despite getting a turnover. Are they expected to perform well under those circumstances?

Granted, the first possession was disappointing and it seems Green Bay always seems to come out strong on their first series against this defense but by the 4th quarter, it was the Vikings offense that was unable to stay on the field and give their defense any rest. I don't even see how that's up for debate. Like I said, TOP has to go somewhere. If your offense is putting together 1 and 2 minute drives, TOP is going to the other team.

The Vikings had a total of one good sustained drive, the TD to Rudolph, which was early in the game. Everything before and afterwards was just poor execution, which negatively impacts the defense.
Odd. Is this post showing as coming from Mothman? Because I wrote it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Odd. Is this post showing as coming from Mothman? Because I wrote it.

Weird...

Regarding the discussion: all I'm trying to say is that the defense bears more responsibility for their performance than the offense does (for the defensive performance). If they're on the field too much in a game, that's primarily on them because it's in their power to get off the field. I'm not saying there is no relationship between the two units, simply that it's a two way street. When the offense keeps going 3-and-out, that puts the defense on the field quickly but when the defense can't get back off the field, the offense can get cold/out of sync and their opportunities to score are limited.