Coaches Stubborness

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Coaches Stubborness

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Well the Jackson experiment lasted 5 years. Ponder hasn't even been 2. Spielman had nothing to do with Jackson. That was Childress/Foley and he tried to replace him with Sage but Clueless wouldn't go for it.

I hope Spileman doesn't become that stubborn with Ponder but it's way too early to call this Jackson part 2, other than the bust factor of a high pick.
Spielman wasnt VP of player personal that year?
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I have a sick feeling about this team with Ponder. I just don't get the feeling that they will do anything abiout it.. almost like the Bears with Kyle Orton before (I think it was Orton) where he SUCKED for so long, and it took sooo long for them to wise up and replace him.
I think that was Rex Grossman. I remember Kyle Orton putting up some solid numbers with Denver not too long ago.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The other example I was going to use was Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez, but even Ryan got smart today finally.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Spielman wasnt VP of player personal that year?
April 29, 2006. Vikings trade up in 2nd round to ensure selection of QB Tarvaris Jackson of Alabama State with the final pick of the round, #64

May 3, 2006. Vikings fire personnel director Fran Foley. See URL: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=2431511.

May 30, 2006. Vikings hire Rick Spielman as VP of Player Personnel. See URL: http://min.scout.com/2/535526.html

And the seeds of a power grab by a new HC who had never called an NFL play in his life as an NFL OC were in place. The rest is history. The Vikings QB position has been trouble ever since this rough beginning to the Childress era. And the whole Ponder saga is eerily familiar. A QB way over his head backed by ownership that knows nothing about building a winning NFL team. Harsh but true.
DavidKarki
Veteran

Post by DavidKarki »

Eli wrote:The only conclusion that I can come to is that the Vikings coaching staff feels that a playoff spot could not be won this year, no matter what. That's certainly been my feeling, given the last six games on the schedule, but I don't expect that attitude from anyone with the team. They've given up.

It's a shame what is happening, because losing these games was totally expected. But the way they're going about it is tearing apart the team and is crushing whatever confidence fans once had in the front office and coaching staff.
YES! This is what I have thought fron the outset and finally someone else comes to the same conclusion.

This was always a rebuilding year and never otherwise. I think the Vikings front office fully expected to be out of it early and thus to be able to use this as a long pre-season for Ponder, which was the plan meant for 2011 (when the new stadium was not yet done and the franchise was still stuck in a holding pattern until they knew what city they'd be in going forward) but didn't happen due to the NFL lockout denying Ponder proper off-season prep time, which then led to the mistake of bringing McNabb in. (Assisted by the need they felt to win now to help – or at least not hurt – the stadium drive.)

Then, once AP wrecked his knee (and the Vikings stupidly threw away RG3 by beating the Redskins a year ago), there was no reason to not just give Ponder 2012 as he was to have been given 2011. Surely AP would take time to come back, by which time the Vikings would be out of contention, and he could be safely rested. And maybe even Harvin too, in a contract year. Hence dumping Rosenfels and keeping 3 young QBs, as well.

But then AP came back sooner than ever thought possible and better than ever. And the Vikings upset SF and squeaked by Jax, Ariz, and Det twice. Suddenly they actually had to try, something the temporary place-holder coaches (whose qualifications or lack thereof were ignored until the stadium was resolved) were wholly unprepared for. Hence the seemingly inexplicable pulling of AP at times (still trying to balance protecting his health/knee with the need to ride him for all he's worth to win) and staying with Ponder (since they left themselves no alternatives and painted themselves into a corner at the QB spot).

And so here we are, with a QB and head coach (and maybe GM) that clearly are not the answer. Now that the new stadium is done and Zygi needs to sell expensive PSLs/tickets to it, the temporary place-holding coaches need to go and so does Ponder. The on-field product will need a jolt to fill the new building, and now that the stadium has finally been settled, that can proceed apace – understanding that while the Vikings are a year behind schedule due to the NFL lockout/McNabb business, they couldn't possibly have started the full-scale rebuild any sooner. They are doing now what they should have been doing last year.

The problem with this, as pointed out, is that you lose the fans by taking this long-term a view. Fans don't have that kind of patience anymore. You're never again going to see Favre getting two seasons of 30+ INTs with the Packers before figuring it out in the early 1990s. (And no, I'm not saying Ponder has anywhere near that raw physical talent; he had bad throws [2 deep to AP & Toby] as well as bad decisions [2 INTs] today.) Far from having until August 2016 before needing to contend again, the Vikings will actually kill all the buzz of the new stadium if they keep being this historically awful throwing the ball, even as Peterson is historically awesome running the ball. Zygi had better see this and take drastic action, erring on the side of a full-scale house cleaning.
--Dave
GO VIKINGS!!!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

CalVike wrote: April 29, 2006. Vikings trade up in 2nd round to ensure selection of QB Tarvaris Jackson of Alabama State with the final pick of the round, #64

May 3, 2006. Vikings fire personnel director Fran Foley. See URL: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=2431511.

May 30, 2006. Vikings hire Rick Spielman as VP of Player Personnel. See URL: http://min.scout.com/2/535526.html

And the seeds of a power grab by a new HC who had never called an NFL play in his life as an NFL OC were in place. The rest is history. The Vikings QB position has been trouble ever since this rough beginning to the Childress era. And the whole Ponder saga is eerily familiar. A QB way over his head backed by ownership that knows nothing about building a winning NFL team. Harsh but true.
You would think I would know better then to questin 80Purple again, think hes 3-0. I swore he and foley joined the same time but i guess they were a few months apart.