Vikings @ Packers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 13

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings @ Packers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 13

Post by soflavike »

FK28 wrote:Do you think if RG3 was drafted by the vikings, he would be watching Ponder play? I think so.
No, we would be lamenting the fact that the Vikes picked a different position in the 1st round because they were "all set" with their franchise QB from Florida State.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 37s
Frazier said putting Joe Webb into the game "Really didn’t cross my mind"

Scary.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Infinity wrote:Webb is just like RG3, just not as good of a passer. He does, however, have a strong arm and can throw downfield if he so chooses
Come again?
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

yezzir wrote:Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 37s

Scary.
Why the #### didnt it cross your mind dipwad?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?
FK28
Rookie

Post by FK28 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:SEVEN YEARS. It has been SEVEN years (save one for Brett) since we have had a starting QB on this team.

Seven years ago I was in eighth grade. In seven years, I have graduated high school, lost 50 pounds, gone through two years of college, and accomplished numerous other things. What has Minnesota done in seven years? They have consistently fielded mediocre to awful teams save for one season.

I am sick and tired of watching this inept offensive display week in and week out. Figure it out Minnesota. I am livid right now.
i know that seems like a lot for you. i just turned fifty and i remember watching the vikings lose their first of four super bowl loses when i was a little tike. OVER 40 Years of this crap! If your a true Vikings fan you will be here 40 years from now. Dig in for the long haul and i wish better luck for your forty or fifty years.
FK28
Rookie

Post by FK28 »

yezzir wrote:Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 37s

Scary.
Somebody kick him in the B :o LLS
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

FK28 wrote: i know that seems like a lot for you. i just turned fifty and i remember watching the vikings lose their first of four super bowl loses when i was a little tike. OVER 40 Years of this crap! If your a true Vikings fan you will be here 40 years from now. Dig in for the long haul and i wish better luck for your forty or fifty years.

Hey man, I am on board with this team until death takes me from this earth! I hardly remember the 1998 NFCCG, but I do remember the embarrassing 2000 NFCCG. I have always known, and been told, to expect the worst with this team.

I was simply trying to state how long it has been since we have had a starting caliber QB.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Ponder on first INT from Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.com

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=6180
"I've got to see it on film, but one of the number one rules as a quarterback is don't throw across your body across the middle, especially when it's late in the down," Ponder said. "That's exactly what I did. I thought he was coming open and maybe I could have thrown a better ball, but I probably shouldn't have thrown it at all."
Here's why you bench him next week, IMHO. Frazier disagrees and he's forgotten more about football than I know. from above Pelissero article:
He had only five completions -- none of them to receivers -- in 13 attempts for 36 yards before the final two drives.
FK28
Rookie

Post by FK28 »

Valhalla wrote:The effort has to be there, it feels like we give games away.

We could have lost but by 2 points and had a good effort, it might be easier to take. IT's that the performance reeks.

They have to hear this at the Vikings camp. They've got to be considering options and with 4 games?? Or will it be 4 games for Ponder to prove himself again?

In fact, I'd rather lose by 20 points, but if the team is trying and QB has a fair performance, it wouldn't be like this turkey we had today.

i see it this way. if frazier stays with ponder and they continue to lose, it could be fraziers head. if he tries webb, at least he is trying to fix the problem.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Interesting comment from announcer Paul Allen of KFAN. He called out Ponder at link below for the INT in the end zone and the under throw to AD.
Just chatted with Ponder on the plane a bit and, obviously, he feels terrible and feels he completely cost the team the game. I talked extensively with Adrian in the locker room after the game and the two things he said resonating with me were (a) "I should have done more to carry this team" and (b) that "CP is my guy and I'll do everything to pump him up."
Read more: http://www.kfan.com/pages/psn_paulallen ... z2DwMjRsDb
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Infinity wrote: Why the #### didnt it cross your mind dipwad?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?

Why should it? They've had 3 years to evaluate Webb, at this point they know what they have in him and realize he's a back up QB that can play "winning" football for small spurts but can't sustain it for any given length of time. This team is not a playoff team; at this point it's more about developing players and seeing what you have and what you DON'T have in order to evaluate the roster at the end of the season. It'll be easier to replace Ponder if he continues to play poorly throughout the rest of the season. Say you do put Webb in, and he wins you a 3 of the last 5 and you finish 9-7, what does that gain you? You lose draft position to watch a QB play that is a free agent after next season and has shown nothing that should make the Vikings resign him after next season. You play Ponder you let him get more experience, you let him struggle and you bring in someone that can actually challenge him in the offseason for the starting job, whether it's rookie through the draft or a trade with San Fran for Alex Smith or whatever. This team is lacking play makers on the offensive side of the ball at QB and at WR. Harvin is great and Wright is developing but after that everyone is terrible. Building a championship team is a process. The process isn't always pleasant but it's necessary. Spielman put together an excellent draft this year, let's see what he can do next year with free agency and the draft.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

MrPurplenGold wrote:
Why should it? They've had 3 years to evaluate Webb, at this point they know what they have in him and realize he's a back up QB that can play "winning" football for small spurts but can't sustain it for any given length of time. This team is not a playoff team; at this point it's more about developing players and seeing what you have and what you DON'T have in order to evaluate the roster at the end of the season. It'll be easier to replace Ponder if he continues to play poorly throughout the rest of the season. Say you do put Webb in, and he wins you a 3 of the last 5 and you finish 9-7, what does that gain you? You lose draft position to watch a QB play that is a free agent after next season and has shown nothing that should make the Vikings resign him after next season. You play Ponder you let him get more experience, you let him struggle and you bring in someone that can actually challenge him in the offseason for the starting job, whether it's rookie through the draft or a trade with San Fran for Alex Smith or whatever. This team is lacking play makers on the offensive side of the ball at QB and at WR. Harvin is great and Wright is developing but after that everyone is terrible. Building a championship team is a process. The process isn't always pleasant but it's necessary. Spielman put together an excellent draft this year, let's see what he can do next year with free agency and the draft.
I wasn't saying we should see him as a franchise qb, I was just saying that we should have put him in in the 4th quarter. I think we have given ponder enough time, and I think we know what to expect from him.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

MrPurplenGold wrote:This team is not a playoff team; at this point it's more about developing players and seeing what you have and what you DON'T have in order to evaluate the roster at the end of the season.
Easy to say now. But no one in the front office or coaching believes this. Purely fan fantasy. Once they got to six so fast, everything was about the playoffs for those who matter.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

I think we've reached a point where Ponder is costing us games. He just looked terrible. He looks like a college QB in a pro game - in way over his head. Still can't cycle through his reads, still makes fundamental errors that consistently result in turnovers. I would have liked to have seen Webb put in there in the second half. AD was clearly carrying the team, and I think that GB did a pretty good job adjusting, and I think that Webb would have loosened up the defense a little more and, if nothing else, given better opportunities to AD. I don't think Webb is a great QB or even a good one, but I do think he is a great athlete who can make things happen, especially when the defense doesn't have a chance to scheme against him.

Sadly though, we are at a point where we can't realistically contend for the playoffs - though in reality it will probably take another L, and playing out this Ponder experiment is the thing to do. Last chance summer dance.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

And ponder is playing like he's a rookie that was a backup in his entire college career. Hes still making rookie mistakes which he shouldn't be making. Hes had all this time in the league and he still looks like a freshman college qb! At the beginning of the year he looked like a second year quarterback, but now he looks like a second year quarterback in his first start ever.