Jared Allen Fine

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Jared Allen Fine

Post by Purple Reign »

A couple of years ago JA was livid when a Detroit player tried to block him low on a play, saying it was a dirty play and people shouldn't be messing with his career. Now when he does a similar act (although some may contend it was even worse since it was a blind side hit and he launched himself into the head/neck area), he claims it was a clean block and 'sometimes bad things happen'. JA was furious when someone 'could have' hurt him, yet he ends someone's season and thinks it's ok. Unfortunately I think JA is being hypocritical here.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Jared Allen Fine

Post by vikeinmontana »

ya allen is my guy but that was cheap. he deserves a fine. heat of the moment deal though in my opinion as the guy isn't a dirty player. but he certainly was in that instance and he shouldn't defend it.
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Did the player he hit get injured?

BTW, when I saw the title of this thread, my first reaction was "Oh, good, I'm glad he's fine." :)
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Did the player he hit get injured?
Yes, he's out for the season with a torn ACL.
BTW, when I saw the title of this thread, my first reaction was "Oh, good, I'm glad he's fine." :)
LOL! I had the same thought. :)
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Jared didn't hit him low, I realize it was still illegal, but he wasn't trying to target the knee. You'd think what he did would have been more likely to cause a concussion than a season ending knee injury. He apologized for injuring the guy and wasn't intentionally trying to do so.

I'm not defending an illegal play, but I don't think he was trying to tear an acl with a launching hit.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Jare ... ears112912
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Purple Reign wrote:A couple of years ago JA was livid when a Detroit player tried to block him low on a play, saying it was a dirty play and people shouldn't be messing with his career. Now when he does a similar act (although some may contend it was even worse since it was a blind side hit and he launched himself into the head/neck area), he claims it was a clean block and 'sometimes bad things happen'. JA was furious when someone 'could have' hurt him, yet he ends someone's season and thinks it's ok. Unfortunately I think JA is being hypocritical here.
I disagree that he's being hypocritical. Low blocks have a much higher chance of causing a serious injury than the blind high hit he did. The fact that Lance Louis suffered a torn ACL on the play was somewhat of a fluke, as opposed to the low blocking Allen (and a lot of other DL) have come out against. That kind of blocking has a much higher chance of blowing out a knee or an ankle than a high block that was blind.

JA needs to own up that it was an illegal hit, but I think he's fine to say he had no malicious intent. Had he been another foot to Louis' front side, it would have been totally clean.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

No malicious intent? Launching yourself off your feet at a player from the blind side doesn't have malicious intent? What was he trying to do then? Just block him? Give me a break. As bad as when he went low at Schaub.

You don't launch yourself like a missile at someone who's not paying attention and have no malicious intent...
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Demi wrote:No malicious intent? Launching yourself off your feet at a player from the blind side doesn't have malicious intent? What was he trying to do then? Just block him? Give me a break. As bad as when he went low at Schaub.

You don't launch yourself like a missile at someone who's not paying attention and have no malicious intent...
What about a DL sacking a QB from the blindside. The DL doesn't need to 'launch' himself for that to be nasty hit and the QB doesn't even see it coming.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

9man wrote: What about a DL sacking a QB from the blindside. The DL doesn't need to 'launch' himself for that to be nasty hit and the QB doesn't even see it coming.
I'm sure it'd be a penalty on the QB as well if you launch yourself. If you watch the play he's sizing up the linemen, then launchers himself shoulder first like a missile. Blocking him, hitting him, fine, but you can't launch yourself. There's a reason they made it a rule. It's just like the Warren Sapp block years ago. If you're not trying to be malicious you don't size a player up lower your shoulder/helmet, and launch like a spear into the opponent.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Look at this play by Golden Tate, very similar. Tate got fined $21,000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPjhw-k8WXU
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Sutsgold
Starter

Post by Sutsgold »

Allen is not a dirty player, but after his last few weeks Id say he is a frustrated player. He has been struggling, and he wont say it, but he may have taken some of that frustration out on a blindside free hit.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

glg wrote:
I disagree that he's being hypocritical. Low blocks have a much higher chance of causing a serious injury than the blind high hit he did. The fact that Lance Louis suffered a torn ACL on the play was somewhat of a fluke, as opposed to the low blocking Allen (and a lot of other DL) have come out against. That kind of blocking has a much higher chance of blowing out a knee or an ankle than a high block that was blind.

JA needs to own up that it was an illegal hit, but I think he's fine to say he had no malicious intent. Had he been another foot to Louis' front side, it would have been totally clean.
Obviously a low block has a better chance of injuring someone's knee than a high block - that's the same as saying a high block has a much better chance at causing a concussion than a low block.

A blind side hit like that to the head area IMO has a better chance at causing a more serious injury than trying to block someone low. Concussions are very serious issues and more than likely have a long term impact on someone's brain (which we are still learning of) than hurting a knee. At least JA saw the block coming and could do something to protect himself. I'm sure Darryl Stingley would disagree with you (if he could) about whether a hit to the head is less serious than a low block. For the younger people who are not aware of who Darryl Stingley is, he was a receiver for New England who in 1978 got hit in the head by Jack Tatum of Oakland which broke his neck and made him a quadriplegic - which at the time was a legal hit.

I would also have to disagree and say anyone who launches himself like that is doing it with malicious intent. Yeah, he apologized and said he was sorry that the player got hurt, but he still thinks it was a clean block. The NFL and I would say 99% of the people who have seen the play would agree it was an illegal play.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Apologies without admission of guilt are empty. I love JA, but his apology is useless. You don't say you're sorry, then say you didn't do anything wrong. If that's the case, why apologize?

Tell you what. The Bears come to town in eight days. Jared Allen had better have his head on a swivel cuz if he thinks those guys are accepting his empty apology, he's crazy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

JA is a hyprocrit imo. He is having a rough season and this hit was him taking it out. Kinda sickening from someone like JA who is one of the leaders of the team.
visitingbearsfan
Rookie

Post by visitingbearsfan »

I got into a long discussion about this on cbfans.net. I was of the opinion that it was not a cheap shot and somewhat defended Allen. The hit was illegal because he launched himself and made some contact with Louis' head. It was close to a 50/50 split on the board as to whether or not it was a cheap shot which surprised me. I think that Louis should have been paying closer attention as he was running downfield. As the saying goes, keep your head on a swivel.